PDA

View Full Version : cellphone downloads ,are they safe?

knockknock
Aug 3, 2004, 06:04 PM
I just came around some syte(supr**va.org) that they say offer free java game downloads,ringtones and wallpapers ,but they need my country, the model of my phone,my carrier and finally my number . My question are:
Is this safe and legal? Has anybody done this before? why do they need to know my carrier? and aren't all java games supposed to work on everyphone that is recent ? :confused:
Thanks in advance for your answers

P.S. I asked a couple of friends and they don't know about it either

question fear
Aug 3, 2004, 09:31 PM
i don't know about that site specifically, but i believe each phone and carrier have their own way of accepting multimedia messages, and so they would need to know that sort of thing. also, each phone has variable capabilities of graphics and it would also depend (i think) on whether the model your carrier gave you unlocked those features.
honestly, for best compatibility go with your phone maker or your carrier. those "free" sites are often too good to be true, or only work for certain areas/carriers/phones.

saabmp3
Aug 4, 2004, 09:43 AM
that's a bit torrent site, and for the most part isn't usually hosting legal content. There, you've been warned that it's prolly not what you want to get into (never used it for phone stuff tho).

BEN

musicpyrite
Aug 4, 2004, 10:08 AM
A good rule of thumb when dealing with torrent sites:

if it has to do with torrents, its illegal.

;)

knockknock
Aug 4, 2004, 07:02 PM
thanks for the advice guys! last thing I need is to have the RIAA knocking on my door

question fear
Aug 4, 2004, 08:10 PM
thanks for the advice guys! last thing I need is to have the RIAA knocking on my door

or the cell phone companies.
or both.
:)
kno-knock, kno-knock--"It's OUR bust, we're the experienced litigators!" "No, No, No, its OUR bust, he was using our ringtones! Ringtones without paying!"