PDA

View Full Version : Folks in Austin, TX

JesseJames
Aug 3, 2004, 06:15 PM
I've visited Austin, TX a few times and found it a very vibrant and hip city. Sixth street is hard to beat when you're young and looking for a good time.

Anyway, I was considering moving down there for a while. How is the economy down there? I know it's slow everywhere right now but are jobs really that hard to come by down there?
I really would like to have a change of scenery. And southern folks are among the friendliest I've ever encountered. Except for that time when I was eating at Po' Folks and the waitress admonished me for never having ate okrah before. ;)

blackfox
Aug 3, 2004, 07:30 PM
I will try and help, although I moved from there in early 2003...

Austin is indeed a very hip and fun city...perhaps my favorite city I have ever lived in...

As to your inquiry about the economy, from those I keep in touch with, it is not too bad...although because it draws young people to the University and is by far the coolest city in Texas, there is some difficulty competing with all those students/graduates. Housing/rental prices are pretty steep, but eased some with the recession.

I do not know what kind of work you'd be looking for, or even how old you are or your level of education...if you posted with those facts, I might be able to help you more...

Here is something to give you a potential idea of job opportunities, but it is by no means comprehensive or indictative of the on-the-ground economic picture. Like many cities, much comes down to who you know...
http://austin.craigslist.org/

jimsowden
Aug 4, 2004, 08:10 AM
All you need to know (http://www.apple.com/retail/bartoncreek/) ;)

ObsidianIce
Aug 4, 2004, 09:00 AM
I've visited Austin, TX a few times and found it a very vibrant and hip city. Sixth street is hard to beat when you're young and looking for a good time.

Anyway, I was considering moving down there for a while. How is the economy down there? I know it's slow everywhere right now but are jobs really that hard to come by down there?
I really would like to have a change of scenery. And southern folks are among the friendliest I've ever encountered. Except for that time when I was eating at Po' Folks and the waitress admonished me for never having ate okrah before. ;)

I would say go for it. i live in austin and have since about 1996, and as a 25 year old. I can say it's a decent place to be. The tech crash definitely hit us kinda hard, but it's far better now and there's always something to do. Plus houston, dallas, galveston, Corpus, there's always someplace to go!

G4scott
Aug 4, 2004, 09:34 AM
I'm not sure how young you were referring to when calling 6th street fun, but unless you're 21 or older, there's not much to do :-p

Although I haven't lived here long, it's a great city. Plenty to do, and lots of fun (although I say that as a college student...)

Foucault
Aug 4, 2004, 11:58 AM
I visited Austin, TX on my way to Mardi Gras in February. And growing up in California, I was very impressed with the city. The people were beautiful and friendly. If you are the type of person of who loves live music, Austin, TX is a treasure trove. I can't wait to go there next year for SXSW.

scem0
Aug 6, 2004, 04:37 AM
Well Austin is the Live Music Capital of the World... ;)

Yeah, Austin is a great place to live. I think it has a lot to offer to anyone from any walk of life.

Oh, and you can't forget that we now have an Apple store! :cool: :p :)

scem0

jane doe
Aug 6, 2004, 10:35 AM
Austin is a great town, The economy is picking up, cost of living is a little high but thats everywhere.

Jobs are not hard to come by depending on what type your looking for. There are a lot of tech companies in Austin, including Apple.