Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

boxmetogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
im new to macs so i dont really know, but i was talking to a friend and he told me that Macs are hard to get viruses or can't get viruses at all, now is that true? can someone tell me im confuseD? :confused:

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
This is true; there are currently no viruses (in the wild, anyway) that affect OSX directly.

You can get infected by Word macro viruses if you exchange Word files with people who aren't careful and aren't careful yourself (saying "no" if Word asks if you want to run Macros), but the worst you'll usually do with those is infect all your own files--I've never seen one that actually did any damage on a Mac.

You SHOULD always keep up on Apple security updates (set Apple's Software Update to run periodically, which it does by default, and make sure the security fixes get installed), but running antivirus software on a Mac is pointless right now.

boxmetogo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2004
so what your saying is im fine with the virus problem but i should keep my security settings high and keep on a look out for what?

oldfart

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2004
Albuquerque
boxmetogo said:
so what your saying is im fine with the virus problem but i should keep my security settings high and keep on a look out for what?

The big bad BOOGIE MAN :eek: !!

...Sorry, couldn't help myself :eek: !

Dude.......Relax...you have a Mac. Most of the Crap you had to deal with on those Win Boxes doesn't affect Macs.

If the machine is set up right, it works like a charm for what seems like .....forever! :D !!

I'm assuming (?) you do have a Mac. Just enjoy it. Spend a little time "doing stuff" on it and pretty soon you'll be far enough away from the "Evil Empire" :eek: you'll never look back :p !!!

I wouldn't worry too much about "Security Settings" as much as getting all the "Security Updates" up to date ;) !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.