PDA

View Full Version : Apogee Duet

Codeseven
Nov 27, 2009, 10:51 PM
Is the Apogee Duet the ultimate, sub-$500, audio interface for Mac users? I have a MBP that I want to do home recording with. The Apogee Duet for MAC's only seems to be 'the' AI to get. right?

pkoch1
Nov 28, 2009, 01:13 AM
Is the Apogee Duet the ultimate, sub-$500, audio interface for Mac users? I have a MBP that I want to do home recording with. The Apogee Duet for MAC's only seems to be 'the' AI to get. right?

It's got great A/D and D/A, but remember that it doesn't have any MIDI ports on it, and it only has one stereo output. How many tracks do you need to record at once?

Codeseven
Nov 28, 2009, 01:35 AM
Hi Pkoch1,

Probably two at the most. The customer reviews on this thing are over the top. Is it really that good?

pkoch1
Nov 28, 2009, 01:38 AM
Hi Pkoch1,

Probably two at the most. The customer reviews on this thing are over the top. Is it really that good?

I have one and it sounds great. Portable too. To be honest, I think that many people wouldn't be able to tell a difference between the Duet and a cheap M-Audio or Tascam unit, but the Duet really is nice. The way it plays with OS X is really nice too. I got one from Musicians Friend scratch n dent for $375 and it didn't have a scratch on it. Works like a charm!

Luap
Nov 28, 2009, 11:07 AM
I've had one for a while and think it's very good :)

Codeseven
Nov 28, 2009, 12:01 PM
I got one from Musicians Friend scratch n dent for $375 and it didn't have a scratch on it. Works like a charm!

Hey, I never thought about going that route. Thanks for the heads up, I'll check it out.

musio
Nov 29, 2009, 06:01 AM
No digital i/o
no MIDI

no buy

Fishrrman
Nov 29, 2009, 09:32 AM
As an alternative, with more inputs, you might look into the Echo AudioFire4.

For the cost of the Duet, you could even buy an AudioFire8.

- John

musio
Nov 29, 2009, 12:29 PM
M-Audio Fast Track Pro. An audio interface with all the i/o the duet lacks plus possibility to run protools all on a USB port
http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackPro.html

DRIVERS are what count - maudio just released some snow leopard ones. Apogee have great drivers too but you pay the price.
Don't get a device without the support otherwise your asking for it.

MezicanGangxtah
Nov 29, 2009, 07:20 PM

yes it infact is. sure MIDI and digital input would be very welcomed. but if you want reliability, and quality. theres nothing better.

pkoch1
Nov 29, 2009, 09:29 PM
Sure, you can get an interface with MIDI and digital I/O but then you will be trading features for preamp and A/D/A quality.

Codeseven
Nov 30, 2009, 06:10 PM
Thanks