Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

leisuremonkey

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 3, 2004
San Francisco
Last night I was at a meeting of The Bay Area Motion Graphics user group to watch a demo of After Effect 6.5. I started talking to the Adobe rep who was giving the demo. The subject of Streamline came up. He said that when Adobe bought Streamline, it was written into the agreements that Adobe would not incorporate Streamline’s functionality into the other Adobe apps, nor would they try to reverse engineer Streamline, or anything like that for a period of 10 years. Well, that 10 years is up. The rep didn’t say that Adobe would be upgrading Streamline, but he did imply that we would be seeing Streamline’s functionality, built into another Adobe app. very soon. So no, there probably won’t be a Mac OS X version of Streamline, but it sounds like OS X will be getting Streamlines functionality back… Thank you Adobe!

By the way… The After Effects 6.5 demo was awesome! I want it!

Nspace

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2004
Toronto, Canada
I just started using After Effects 6.5 on my PC it is quite nice. Being able to edit your text mid effect is very powerful for real world situations when you have clients who are consistantly changing their mind about copy.

I am working on my first AE project ever, its for a rock music photographer. Me and my partner i work with are creating this slide show type thing with his photos, but cutting some out and doing sort of a little college of things. there is some cool stuff, I am really looking forward to doing some more advanced stuff in future projects.

the one thing I have had trouble adapting to is the way AE handles its masks compared to something like Flash. The way the mask position is linked to to its position on the photo. Kinda hard to explain.

I am actually really looking forward to trying motion, to see how that compares. It seems pretty sweet too.

I have never really used streamline but I know alot of people into typeface design use it. One solution that is similar in some ways i think is Flash's trace bitmap feature. And for typeface designers many have turned to Scan Font.

I would imagine they will intergrate a streamline type thing int a future version of Illustrator i would imagine.

Interesting stuff tho.

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
The only thing that's available for Mac OS X is Corel Trace and it's no longer being updated since Corel Graphics Suite 11 is dead.

It's unfortunate that you can't use an OCR application to trace artwork, since that would be a more general use of it.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Last year, when trying to track down a copy of Streamline, I was amazed to find that it's not available for OS X. I thought that maybe it just wasn't a popular app and therefore wasn't worth porting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.