PDA

View Full Version : My dual 2.0 G5 seems loud...

Wilson
Aug 3, 2004, 09:57 PM
How quiet are the G5's supposed to be? When I read reviews on it before I bought my Rev A G5, I keep hearing people say that the computer is super quiet. Now I'm using it, and I don't find it quiet at all. It's not loud by any means but it's not much quieter or is probably the same as the G4 Dual 1.0 I use at work. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks.

jared_kipe
Aug 3, 2004, 10:22 PM
My dual 1.8 G5 is extreamly quiet when the cd isn't spinning up, or it is working very hard on something for a long time. Download a temperature manager, you can see visually using the logging thing the teperature of your various zones mapped against time. Play around with idling it and making it work to see how the temp and sound changes.

broken_keyboard
Aug 3, 2004, 10:29 PM
If you have the Radeon 9800 video card, it may be the fan on the video card that is causing the noise, not the G5. There were quite a few of these cards sold with loud fans. I got one and it drove me crazy. In the end I bought a quieter fan and installed it.

Otherwise if you think it is the CPU fans you can go it to the power saving preferences and there is a "performance" option in there which you can set to automatic, higest or reduced. If you set it to reduced the fans go much quieter, but it does it by slowing down the CPU so there is a tradeoff there obvioiusly.

Also make sure you have the latest 10.3.4 OS. I can't remember whether it was 10.3.3 or 10.3.2, but in one of the Panther updates they did something which greatly improved fan behavior - made the speed changes much more even and the whole thing quieter overall.

Edot
Aug 3, 2004, 10:41 PM
G5's are very quiet. If something is wrong they are extremely loud. So I would guess that you have a card in it that has it's own fan that is making all the noise.

aphexist
Aug 4, 2004, 04:40 PM
What is the ambient temperature in your house?

I turn my A/C off completely when I leave for work, and my Rev B. G5 2.0 will be very loud when I get home and wake it up. Once the house cools off a little, the fans slow down to a gentle spin.

Dreadnought
Aug 4, 2004, 05:43 PM
is a heat sensor a bit off (or too close to a heat generating device) and therefore saying its hotter then it supposed to? Probably the one near your harddisk, that one gave the most problems with a dual 2.0.

Wilson
Aug 4, 2004, 05:43 PM
I think it's the fan that's making the noise. I think I'm going to bring it in to the apple reseller where I bought it from to have them look at it and if something is wrong, have them fix it.

Thanks.

Wilson
Aug 4, 2004, 05:47 PM
What is the ambient temperature in your house?

I turn my A/C off completely when I leave for work, and my Rev B. G5 2.0 will be very loud when I get home and wake it up. Once the house cools off a little, the fans slow down to a gentle spin.

My room is in the basement and it's quite cool down here. It shouldn't be a heat problem in my house.