Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Is there any way I can download the iPhone SDK, and not the 2.5 gig file that includes the Xcode IDE which I already have?

And when I installed Xcode I deselected Unix support to save 500 megs, was this a bad thing to do?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I installed Xcde 3.2 from my Snow Leopard disc last night, so is there no way to just download he iPhone SDK?

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
When I download and install Xcode 3.2.1 and the iPhone SDK, should I uninstall Xcode 3.2? Or will it just copy over it? I don't want it using more room than it should.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
I will. I am learning C now, then I will learn how to use the iPhone SDK. I just wanted to know a couple of things at the start.

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
As was suggested read the instructions that come with the version of Xcode you're wishing to install.

From the iPhone - Xcode 3.2.1 DMG:

Step-by-Step Instructions

Note: By default, all versions of Xcode (and iPhone SDK) install in /Developer with previous versions automatically upgraded. If you want to keep a previously installed version of Xcode, you must either do a "Custom Install" and specify a new <Xcode> directory name (e.g. /Xcode3.2) or you must move the pre-existing /Developer directory to a new name before you install Xcode 3.2. See step 5 below.

1. Boot into a partition with the Mac OS X v10.6.0 or later installed.

2. Download the Xcode and iPhone SDK software. 3. Double-click on the Installer package.

4. Follow the instructions in the Installer.

5. To install Xcode in a directory other than the default /Developer, you must specify a new <Xcode> directory name on the "Custom Install" pane

• Select the folder icon under "Location" next to the "Essentials" package.
  • Select "Other..." at the top of the pop-up.
  • Navigate to the location for the new <Xcode> folder. Select "New Folder".
  • Enter a folder name in the "New Folder" window; Select "Create".
  • Finally, select "Choose" in the "Install Xcode Tools" pane.

6. If you need to install Mac OS X 10.4 support you must select "Customize", and check that package on the "Custom Install" panel.

7. Authenticate as the administrative user. The first user you create when setting up Mac OS X has administrator privileges by default.

Once you have installed the Xcode developer tools, you can access the documentation by launching Xcode and choosing any of the items in the Help menu. Developer applications such as Xcode, Instruments, and Interface Builder are installed in <Xcode>/Applications.

Uninstalling Xcode Developer Tools

To uninstall Xcode developer tools on the boot volume along with the <Xcode> directory, from a Terminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all
To remove the underlying developer content on the boot volume, but leave the <Xcode> directory and supporting files untouched, from a Terminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools -- mode=systemsupport
To just remove the UNIX development support on the boot volume, but leave the <Xcode> directory and supporting files untouched, from a Terminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=unixdev​

Finally, to just uninstall the <Xcode> directory you can simply drag it to the trash, or from a Terminal window type:

$ sudo <Xcode>/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=xcodedir
NOTE: The uninstaller that ships with previous versions of the Xcode developer tools will not clean everything off of your system properly. You should use the one installed with the Xcode 3.2 developer tools.​

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Sounds good. I'll probably download it either at the end of the month before our internet rolls over, or whenever I actually need it.

Sambo110

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 12, 2007
Australia
Damn, automatic updates downloaded a 300 meg Xcode update. If I have the iPhone SDK, will it be updated through Software Update?

lloyddean

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
Des Moines, WA
No.

Developer tool updates will (probably) never be done through Software Update as they require your acceptance of a non-disclosure agreement.

Edit: Then again …, I'm seeing reports elsewhere that an update did indeed show up in Software Update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.