PDA

View Full Version : A plea to the general populace: be considerate!

18thTomorrow
Aug 3, 2004, 11:41 PM
This is a plea to everyone to show some more consideration for other people.

I was thinking about this at work today. I clean banks and offices in the evenings so that I can make it through college with minimal amount of debt. (My goal is to have less than 5 grand in debt when I graduate.) And I am astounded by the lack of consideration some people show for others.

For example: one of my duties is to empty every trashcan every night. Since I am totally responsible to clean 5 different buildings every night (no, I don't work with a partner.) I end up emptying 80+ trash cans every fricken' evening when the rest of the world has gone home and is enjoying themselves. Now, this wouldn't be so bad if people would only put their trash in the wastebasket...however, instead they just chuck it in the general vicinity. Now I realize that work can get very hectic, especially for bank tellers and the like, but is it so much to ask that they put the trash in the can that sits right next to their feet under their desk? Or at least pick up your trash at the end of the day? It makes my job last twice as long when I have to get on my hands and knees under every single desk and pick up 80 cans' worth of trash that's scattered on the floor.

I'm young and spry, but some of the people who work at my company are Hispanics in their 40s and 50s, and I feel bad for them, having to bend over and pick up trash. Everyone deserves more dignity than that. Our jobs would be much less aggrivating and more rewarding if Janie the Bank Teller just thought for a moment about the little people who come in at night to clean up after her, while she's enjoying her evening.

And door handles are there for a reason. Every night I have to wipe down both sides of the glass on 8 sets of double doors, and I'm astounded at the weird places fingerprints turn up. And you wouldn't believe how much grease your hands can leave behind. I didn't until I started this job. Who opens the door by placing their open palm in the very top corner of the door? I'm short--it takes some doing to reach that high! The weirdest thing was the time I found a full-length, bare footprint one one of my doors.

Another thing: driving. My job also requires a bit of driving( 20 miles an evening) and I see some wacky stuff out there...my pet peeve is the people who know their lane is closing 1/4 mile away, yet they insist on racing you and then cutting you off at the very last minute as they lose their lane. Then there's the guy who is first in line at the red light, but takes 5-8 seconds to realize and react when it finally turns green.

I feel better now that I've shared my angst with someone.
Goodnight.

Abstract
Aug 4, 2004, 12:02 AM
I agree with everything you said.

People who live in my residence seem to make a huge mess out of anything. How can they take a messy shower? Seriously, what are they doing in there? And since they don't have to clean up the paper towels later on, they just throw it "towards" the rubbish bins. If they miss, then they miss.
And of course, they don't mind if they throw some sand around (I live in Oz near the beach :D ), or cut their hair in the hallway, because they don't have to vacuum. They know someone will clean it up, just like they do every day. People don't treat their own rooms like that. Hmmm....wonder why? Is it because they have to clean it themselves?

And ditto about the drivers who stay in a lane even though they know its closing in order to cut ahead later on in line while you do the right thing and wait like everyone else.

People are idiots.

kanker
Aug 4, 2004, 12:06 AM
Someone who is willing to work that hard for an education is destined to create their own success in life. The lessons that you are learning are priceless. Your statement about the dignity of your coworkers is something that more people need to think about - there is dignity in ANY job. I hope that as you move on in life toward the successes that you'll surely have, that you will probably create for yourself because of your obvious desire to work for your education, that you remember these lessons.

acceber
Aug 4, 2004, 01:30 AM
I feel for you. I used to work in McDonald's and was always put on night shift, combined with all my studies and what have you, it was really really difficult when people were sticking gum under the tables, sticking cups between chairs, leaving a mess of toilet paper all over the toilet....

The pay was something like $AUS 5.91/ hour. I wasn't doing it for the money, obviously. I was doing it for the experience as I was 15 at the time.

Maybe you could like, tell your boss to tell the employees to put their own damn rubbish into the damn bin sitting no more than two damn feet away. But I don't blame people for the driving one, where it takes them a while to react to the light turning green. I might do that too if I was dead tired after a night shift.

Doctor Q
Aug 4, 2004, 01:54 AM
Ever look at the mess in a movie theater when you leave? How can a small crowd of people make such a mess while sitting still? It's just that people have gotten used to slopping their food around and throwing napkins and popcorn bags on the ground. Ever notice the cleaning people waiting to come in as you leave? They inherit your mess.

I had a friend who worked at a theater, and after talking to him I realized how simple it is to carry my cup/box/bag/candywrapper/whatever out with me. Since then, they never have to clean up after me anymore. They probably don't notice the difference that one person makes, but ** I ** feel better.

LethalWolfe
Aug 4, 2004, 02:06 AM
I completely agree.

I've worked at a couple of gas stations and Blockbusters and you wouldn't believe some of the people I've cleaned up after. I found empty cans and coke bottles just sitting on the shelves at Blockbuster (like it's that hard to go up to the counter and ask to throw something away) not to mention the dozens of movies per shift that we find on random shelves. People grab a movie, walk around, decide they don't want it and then just put it some where. I don't know how many times I've looked hi and low for a movie, which the computer says we have, and was never able to find it for a customer 'cause some lazy person just stuck it some where. Talk about wasteing other peoples' time.

Don't even get me started on the mess people can leave in a public bathroom. :mad:

Lethal

virividox
Aug 4, 2004, 03:01 AM
yeah i feel your pain

i started work, and in my office theres a tiny trashcan just at my feet; it doesnt take much effort or aim to get your trash in there.

lazy people just create more work for others.

i do agree with the lag with the greenlight; honeslty be alert when you drive, being careless leads to accidents

shecky
Aug 4, 2004, 03:29 AM
I'm young and spry, but some of the people who work at my company are Hispanics in their 40s and 50s, and I feel bad for them, having to bend over and pick up trash.

exactly why does it matter that they are Hispanic?

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 4, 2004, 05:20 AM

I think the point was that they are immigrants that have few other options for decent work because of language and job skills.

It also goes to the point of how some people view those that provide basic, simple services. Just look here at the comments that people make about retail workers. We are lower than dirt to some. Not worthy of decent wages. Yet worthy to be the bashing board hen they have a bad day. They can't yell at their bosses, but they can yell at service workers.

Neserk
Aug 4, 2004, 06:18 AM
It is 4 am and I'm too tired to read the whole thing but I started it. Having held several jobs of "low esteem" I can certainly emphathize with your plea. Yes, people should be more considerate. There was an PSA on the radio yesterday about the damage done to the environment when we don't put trash in the trash and recycling in the recycling!

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 4, 2004, 06:31 AM
It is 4 am and I'm too tired to read the whole thing but I started it. Having held several jobs of "low esteem" I can certainly emphathize with your plea. Yes, people should be more considerate. There was an PSA on the radio yesterday about the damage done to the environment when we don't put trash in the trash and recycling in the recycling!

I love an old PSA that Texas used. It showed a car going down a road in like West Texas. Stuff thrown out the window. The over sound was "military" chatter; "target in sight", "lock-on" or some such. Then you see a B-25 coming over the horizon. The tag, Don't Mess With Texas.

If we could use that method for litter and traffic violators. :D

evil
Aug 4, 2004, 10:00 AM
"my pet peeve is the people who know their lane is closing 1/4 mile away, yet they insist on racing you and then cutting you off at the very last minute as they lose their lane."
oh man i hate that so much. i usually pull up so they cant get in.

its a good thing trying to reduce your debt. i just came out of college with about a 15k debt and i dont even think that is too bad compared to others.

iLikeMyiMac
Aug 4, 2004, 10:32 AM
I love an old PSA that Texas used. It showed a car going down a road in like West Texas. Stuff thrown out the window. The over sound was "military" chatter; "target in sight", "lock-on" or some such. Then you see a B-25 coming over the horizon. The tag, Don't Mess With Texas.

If we could use that method for litter and traffic violators. :D
A B-25? How old is this PSA? 60 years old?

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 4, 2004, 10:44 AM
A B-25? How old is this PSA? 60 years old?

I mention to mention that the B-25 was from the Confederate AF. My bad.

jxyama
Aug 4, 2004, 11:41 AM
i feel for you. good luck with your pursuit of the education...

is there any way you could ask your superviser to pass the words to the people working to be better about the trash situation? i realize you cannot just leave the trash because you might get in trouble. but technically, isn't your job picking up trash from the trash can and (hopefully) not babysitting those office workers to keep their place clean?

good luck...

mac_gal
Aug 4, 2004, 11:46 AM
Ever look at the mess in a movie theater when you leave? How can a small crowd of people make such a mess while sitting still? It's just that people have gotten used to slopping their food around and throwing napkins and popcorn bags on the ground. Ever notice the cleaning people waiting to come in as you leave? They inherit your mess.

Ditto! I used to work at a movie theater, and though I wasn't one of the cleaning people, I was AMAZED at the mess. I always used to wonder -- you're walking out of the theater anyway, is it that much more work to carry your empty soda cup!

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 4, 2004, 11:47 AM
i feel for you. good luck with your pursuit of the education...

is there any way you could ask your superviser to pass the words to the people working to be better about the trash situation? i realize you cannot just leave the trash because you might get in trouble. but technically, isn't your job picking up trash from the trash can and (hopefully) not babysitting those office workers to keep their place clean?

good luck...

You have a point. All the offices I worked in we were told that the cleaning staff, were there to help us, not be slaves. Keep your trash neat, was the statement.

jefhatfield
Aug 4, 2004, 12:12 PM
people are slobs

i think men are really bad when it comes to bathrooms...i notice unisex bathrooms are far cleaner than bathrooms just for men...i think it's because women are more considerate

people may miss trashcans, but it can't be as bad as men's bathrooms where people cannot aim straight...i mean, come on and aim for that urinal, it can't be that hard...no pun intended ;)

wordmunger
Aug 4, 2004, 12:21 PM
I agree with much of what you've said, and I agree that in most cases, most of the examples you've brought up are probably examples of people being disrespectful, but I've come up with a couple counterexamples:

--Coke on the shelf at Blockbuster:
Perhaps a young family is in the store. Mom sets down her coke to chase after a toddler, then forgets about it

--High fingerprints on glass door:
Maybe someone was holding the door open for someone else

Take home message: not everyone is doing bad things just to be mean. People who "miss" the trashcan are not trying to make your job harder; they're busy people. Yes, it would be better if they thought about who was cleaning up after them, but most people are generally good.

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 4, 2004, 12:26 PM
I agree with much of what you've said, and I agree that in most cases, most of the examples you've brought up are probably examples of people being disrespectful, but I've come up with a couple counterexamples:

Perhaps a young family is in the store. Mom sets down her coke to chase after a toddler, then forgets about it

--High fingerprints on glass door:
Maybe someone was holding the door open for someone else

Take home message: not everyone is doing bad things just to be mean. People who "miss" the trashcan are not trying to make your job harder; they're busy people. Yes, it would be better if they thought about who was cleaning up after them, but most people are generally good.

Nice thoughts, but the reality is that the Coke can in Blockbuster is probably from some that doesn't care. Someone will cleanup after them.

Just because someone is busy at work, that they need to to have someone clean up after them. It is called respect. And there is so little of that in the US right now. Just look at the highways. We are too quick to make excuses. But slow in taking the blame.

jefhatfield
Aug 4, 2004, 12:37 PM
Nice thoughts, but the reality is that the Coke can in Blockbuster is probably from some that doesn't care. Someone will cleanup after them.

Just because someone is busy at work, that they need to to have someone clean up after them. It is called respect. And there is so little of that in the US right now. Just look at the highways. We are too quick to make excuses. But slow in taking the blame.

i think people first have to feel proud about their surroundings...if they have some ownership, they often treat their property and surroundings better

take two nearby colleges...stanford (very expensive) and cal berkeley (fairly inexpensive) and see how the students/staff treat the campuses...stanford is so clean and i don't see the people litter there...there's no graffiti, even in most of the bathrooms...the tuition is high so people are not likely to defile a campus they are literally paying for...there is a sense of ownership and pride

then drive a few miles to cal berkeley, largely paid for by the state and not the students...there is trash, graffiti, and some of the bathrooms are beyond description...the pub near telegraph avenue is a health risk...it's an equally good school academically, but since nobody is paying super high tuition and the bill is paid for by the state, there isn't the same pride people have for their campus...if i was a cleanup person, i would definitely take stanford ;)

i think americans need to be taught from a very early age to have pride in their environment and have more consideration...i have been to tokyo and london and found much cleaner cities, trashwise/graffiti-wise, compared to los angeles, for example

rainman::|:|
Aug 4, 2004, 12:40 PM
at my office, if you miss the garbage can, the trash will stay there until you get it inside the bin... it's accepted that if they're going to empty your bin for you every night, you can at least make it easier. And no one wants them using their discretion as to what is trash and what just fell on the floor. i have four bins in my area, since i run a print shop, and i try to make sure bags won't be too heavy, or that it's overflowing too much to tie the bag up. I have to wish they'd attempt to put the bins back tho, rather than just tossing them into their corners... i suppose that time adds up, however.

I have a glass desk at home, and whenever people use my computer or sit at the desk, they wind up leaving handprints *everywhere*. That gets on my nerves a lot. I mean, did you really have to jam your fingers between the glass and the keyboard tray to pull the chair in? So, i don't bother cleaning it when some people are coming over.

I also hate when my friends ignore the guest hand towel on the sink, and wind up using a bathtowel or washcloths that are folded up. It's annoying to have to wash the entire guest bath towel set every time i have guests over. I just don't have time for it. The guest bath towels are there if my guest is taking a shower, not if they're just ignorant...

ain't bitching fun? :)

paul

LethalWolfe
Aug 4, 2004, 01:31 PM

No. Not really. :)

It's more like: "Oh, I'm done w/my Coke. I don't want to carry an empty can around w/me so I'll set it on the shelf. Some else can throw it away for me."

jefhatfield,
Re: Unrinals. Cleaning up after a sloppy #1 isn't bad. It's cleaning up after a sloppy #2 that made me want to kill people. I had a guy once crap everywhere in the bathroom *except* for the toilet. :mad:

Lethal

FriarCrazy
Aug 4, 2004, 01:45 PM
I had a guy once crap everywhere in the bathroom *except* for the toilet. :mad:

I'm not laughing at your misfortune, but the way you worded that has me giggling in my cube.

rueyeet
Aug 4, 2004, 04:35 PM
"my pet peeve is the people who know their lane is closing 1/4 mile away, yet they insist on racing you and then cutting you off at the very last minute as they lose their lane."
oh man i hate that so much. i usually pull up so they cant get in.Goodness yes, I hate them. Also I despise the people who cut into a lane that they can clearly see has cars parked in it not a block away JUST so they can cut in front of you. I do my best to cut the bastards off, every time.

People aren't too busy, or too distracted, or too anything else to take proper care of their trash, or watch where they put their dirty fingers, or clean up after themselves in the bathroom. They're not even too lazy. A frightening number of people just don't even seem to know the difference any more.

I lived with a friend--otherwise a great person--who had an unfortunate habit of not keeping his hands clean while cooking or eating, and he'd go ahead and open the cabinets/fridge/microwave or pick up the phone or what have you, leaving stickiness everywhere in his wake. I complained about it, but he just didn't notice. Didn't even notice the stickiness and residue. I don't know how he couldn't--he wasn't otherwise a slob--but he really, geniuinely didn't notice.

I think that's the thing.....some people don't care, and some people can't even tell the difference. I don't know which is more depressing, honestly.

wordmunger
Aug 4, 2004, 04:43 PM
No. Not really. :)
It's more like: "Oh, I'm done w/my Coke. I don't want to carry an empty can around w/me so I'll set it on the shelf. Some else can throw it away for me."

Anyone ever wonder why they don't have trash cans at blockbuster? Sortof a pain, isn't it?

Apple Hobo
Aug 4, 2004, 05:05 PM
people are slobs

i think men are really bad when it comes to bathrooms...i notice unisex bathrooms are far cleaner than bathrooms just for men...i think it's because women are more considerate

I have to wonder if that's true. I've heard janitor horror stories that show women as being really messy. I've heard stories of used feminine pads stuck to the mirrors; used tampons stuck to the wall or left to bake in a hot sauna; turds all over the floor; huge amounts of toilet paper everywhere....

Um, who cares? Why do some people get so worked up over a simple words of race or culture? Maybe it had nothing to do with the post, but like I said, who cares? :rolleyes:

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 4, 2004, 05:07 PM
Anyone ever wonder why they don't have trash cans at blockbuster? Sortof a pain, isn't it?

They have trash cans at the register. More amazing why we feel that we can't go into a store with our Coke, coffee, or our candy bar in our hands and mouth. Used to be that food and drink were not allowed in a store, period.

To me it is a case that my time is more important than yours. Pure and simple selfishness. We don't even respect our dead anymore.

jxyama
Aug 4, 2004, 05:34 PM
back during college, our swim team had to clean the football stadium after home games to raise funds. talk about some nasty trash: small packets of ketchup/mustard, whole lot of peanut shells (i guess these are biodegradable) and cans/bottles/cups full of chewing tobacco juice left in the press box.

i love baseball. but i really wish they'd ban chewing tobacco. nothing disgusts me more than a tv camera inadvertently (i hope) catching a player spitting the brown juice. it's disgusting. i lose a lot of admiration for any player with a tin can in the back pocket. :(

LethalWolfe
Aug 4, 2004, 05:34 PM

Yes, it is such a god-awful PITA to walk up to the counter and say, "Excuse me, do you have a trash can I could use?"

Maybe you think it would be better if there was a trash can every 3 feet?

:rolleyes:

I really hope you aren't being serious otherwise you have to be one of the laziest sounding people I've ever "met."

Lethal

kentd
Aug 4, 2004, 06:50 PM
There have been some comments about merges when lanes end on roads.

I've thought a bit about traffic efficiency as lanes end on freeways.

If traffic is doing the speed limit, then clearly traffic should move over into the remaining lane(s) without waiting until the last possible second. This works well as long as traffic is not slowed significantly or stopped.

But if traffic is stopped, then the answer seems to be different. Let's assume the right answer is to get over as soon as you realize the lane is going away (as in the first case). But what if the first sign indicating the lane is going away is 1 mile from when the lane disappears? Everyone is supposed to dash over instantly? What if the sign was 2 miles before the merge point? What if traffic is backed up for 2 miles and there have been no signs at all yet?

If traffic moves from the disappearing lane to the remaining lanes at various times, the folks that were traveling in the lanes that remain end up with an unfair number of people merging in front of them. For instance, rather than having one car merge in front of you, you may end up with several, since you're moving slowly and they keep coming up and getting in front of you.

The only reasonable answer is traffic that is stopped should reduce the merging to just one place, right at the point the lane disappears. This is the fairest solution for everyone. If everyone did this, the merge would be fair.

So if traffic is stopped or very slow, it's more efficient for everyone if traffic uses the disappearing lane up to the moment it disappears, and then merge in.

What really gets me is the road rage shown by the people who are waiting in the lanes that are not going away. People feel they know what's best on the road and want to force everyone to do as they do.

jsw
Aug 4, 2004, 07:10 PM
One time when I was driving to Illinois from central New York, somewhere in Ohio, I think, they had a merge because of construction. Signs were posted to "Merge Now" about 3/4 and 1/2 mile before the physical merge. Thse who waited until the final tenth of a mile were ticketed.

Now, if that happened everywhere, and people attempted to merge prior to being forced to do so by concrete barriers, triffic might not ever slow down so much as to force a logjam at the merge point itself.

However, if traffic is stopped, then I agree - go to the merge point and merge in there. As long as everyone does that, it's fair. If 95% pull over earlier and a few zoom past, not fair. But, seriously, kentd - have you seen situations here in Boston where the restricted lane is mostly open except for a few cars that speed up to the end? ;) In my experience, here in the Boston area, no one is courteous enough to do anything that would slow them down at all.

Roger1
Aug 4, 2004, 08:34 PM
I used to work in maintenance in a factory. The week before I quit, we had a sediment surge hit one of the bathrooms. I had 6 urinals and 4 stalls instantly quit working. Did people pay attention to the "out of order sign", and the lock on the door?? NOOOO, it was too hard to walk the 150 feet to the next bathroom :mad: So, needless to say, I had to fix all these nasty toilets. :mad: What added insult to injury, is that I was trying to fix them, and these morons were walking in trying to use them!! I guess they could'nt read the OUT OF ORDER SIGN :mad: BTW, this had nothing to do with me leaving. I found a better job. :)

Doctor Q
Aug 4, 2004, 09:48 PM
This is a very one-sided discussion. Where are the MacRumors members who routinely drive rudely and make big messes for others to clean up, to give us the opposing viewpoint?

fossicker
Aug 4, 2004, 10:49 PM
I think there will always be slobs, i.e. the original request for "everyone" to be more considerate is probably a lost cause. Unfortunately, you don't notice the majority of us who are tidy, you notice the results of the slob minority.

I think most people end up having to clean up other people's messes in one way or the other. I worked in restaurants in high school, but even now as a programmer I sometimes have to "clean up" after other people (though these messes are abstract/logical, not physical)

fossicker
Aug 4, 2004, 11:00 PM
There's also a psychological component to messiness. More people will take care to be neat if they're in a neat, clean environment. This is how the NY subways got cleaned up in the 90's -- for example, any car with grafitti was taken out of service until the grafitti was removed.

If an office has a lot of people who can't seem to get their trash in the trash can, I have to wonder if the office has shabby furniture, old carpet, bad paint.

Brother Michael
Aug 4, 2004, 11:40 PM
I got some ranting to do here.

First about work. I worked at a McDonald's all through high school. It amazed me that customers thought that the drink area was a giant garbage can, and decided that they could leave the straw wrappers and ketchup cups etc there.

The crew workers are just as bad. Instead of taking liquids, shakes and ice cream that was extra back to the sink, they decided it was cool to just throw it away in the garbage can. That always made a mess. Also at the end of their shift (we are talking about 5 minutes before the shift was over here) they would stand by the punch out clock waiting to leave. Instead they could have emptied the garbage can, grabbed some lobby trays, done a quick sweep up of the area, etc. Instead they were lazy.

On the garbage tangent, I hate to sound sexist, but i noticed that the girls that I worked with never were able to empty the garbage cans or clean the restrooms...why?

Ok, now onto my friends. I used to and still do occasionally play a game called Warhammer 40,000. Well I used to have friends over and play with them. Everytime I did I always seemed to regret it. My basement always seemed to become a disaster area. It was terrible. Last time I played with my friends here, they decided that it would be a good idea to strap steal wool to a broomstick and plug it into the wall. In hindsight yes it was kinda funny. However, it made a lot of smoke and a bad smell and the smoke detector nearly went off.

However, I go over to my friends house to play a game, a friend of mine needed some tape. I tossed a roll at him, it missed and hit the wall. My friend (the one who plugged the steal wool in the wall) got very very mad that I might have damaged the wall.

This one example of my "friends" courtesy...sigh...

Mike

18thTomorrow
Aug 5, 2004, 09:50 AM
Someone who is willing to work that hard for an education is destined to create their own success in life. The lessons that you are learning are priceless. Your statement about the dignity of your coworkers is something that more people need to think about - there is dignity in ANY job. I hope that as you move on in life toward the successes that you'll surely have, that you will probably create for yourself because of your obvious desire to work for your education, that you remember these lessons.

Thank you for the encouragement. If this job has given me anything, it's given me more respect for other people--especially those in "menial" or janitoral positions. That's something I hope to carry with me my whole life long. From now on my trash will always hit the can (or I'll pick it up :rolleyes: ) and my apple cores come home with me instead of getting pitched out the car window. I do my best to use the doorhandles instead of the glass. It's sad but true that often we don't realize how hard we can make life for other people, until we've been on the other/recieving end for awhile.

Ever look at the mess in a movie theater when you leave?

I sure have...what yuck. It probably takes hours for the theatre employees to clean all that up...yet what effort does it take for us to carry out our own cups and wrappers? I'm not talking about sweeping up the popcorn on the floor...that's just something that happens when you eat popcorn. But if we each carry out our own crap, a lot of difference can be made in someone else's workday.

I think the point was that they are immigrants that have few other options for decent work because of language and job skills.

It also goes to the point of how some people view those that provide basic, simple services.

Yes, that's exactly what I mean. They are decent people in a land that is foreign to them, working hard at a job that nobody else really wants (come on, does anyone say, "Yay, mommy, I want to be a cleaning lady when I grow up!!" ?! ) to make a living and a life for them and their children. They have probably gone without most of the priviliges and luxuries that the rest of us take for granted. IMO, they deserve as just as much respect for their work as the middle class american bank presidents who they clean up after.

You have a point. All the offices I worked in we were told that the cleaning staff, were there to help us, not be slaves. Keep your trash neat, was the statement.

at my office, if you miss the garbage can, the trash will stay there until you get it inside the bin... it's accepted that if they're going to empty your bin for you every night, you can at least make it easier. And no one wants them using their discretion as to what is trash and what just fell on the floor. i have four bins in my area, since i run a print shop, and i try to make sure bags won't be too heavy, or that it's overflowing too much to tie the bag up.

Points to you and anyone else who thinks this way.

Bathrooms: I clean 10 bathrooms every week. Lucky for me, the bathrooms in my banks aren't open to the public. I haven't noticed much difference between the ladies' and mens' bathrooms--the ladies' gets dirty and runs out of supplies faster, however I think that is just because there are more women working at these banks than there are men.

This is a very one-sided discussion. Where are the MacRumors members who routinely drive rudely and make big messes for others to clean up, to give us the opposing viewpoint?

You have a valid point. I think we're all guilty in some respect. I know I can be just as careless as the next person. I *know* I'm not a perfect driver. However, like I said above--now that I've had a big taste of what it feels like to be on "the other side" of this type of behavior, I'm learning to be a lot more careful with where I put my trash, how I drive, how I eat my popcorn etc. etc etc. By sharing my experiences I hope that others will also be moved to think a little more about how they relate to their surroundings and other people, without having to actually go through all the crap I do. (Plus it feels really nice to vent a little :rolleyes: )

robbieduncan
Aug 5, 2004, 10:11 AM

Whilst I don't make big messes for other people, and only drive like an idiot a small percentage of the time I would say that some of the people who are employed as cleaners could make my and their lives a bit easier. For example once you have emptied the bin under my desk at work would it really be all that difficult to have it back where it came from instead of half a meter away on the floor. When I come in in the morning, sit down and drop the lid off my coffee into the bin it almost always hits the floor as the bin is not where I expect it to be. I have built up muscle memory on the bin location. If I was a bit less considerate I wouldn't bother to pick up the lid and place it in the bin before moving the bin back!

On the subject of traffic there are some people who get caught in the wrong lane, but there are a lot more who are simply rude. They see a queue (whether on the road or elsewhere) and simply want to jump it as they think they are more important then everyone else. This also happens around London at traffic lights on roads with bus lanes. The bus lanes mean that there is normally 1 lane each way for private cars, which is fine. Until you get to some traffic lights so the bus lane disappears for about 10 meters at the traffic lights. The number of idiots who try and use that extra lane to accelerate round 2 or 3 cars off the lights is amazing.