Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

75th Trombone

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
I'm about to begin the process of archiving complete disc images of all my audio CDs (and probably some games/data CDs/DVDs as well).

I want a piece of Mac software that does disc ripping (and probably burning) with graceful handling of copy protection schemes and very good detection, attempted correction, and (if all else fails) user notification of read errors caused by scratches.

Here briefly is what I've found:
  • Disco seems to be the most Mac-like, best-designed app for disc munging, but it appears to be abandonware, and it may not work when I upgrade to Snow Leopard next week. Even if it does, I hate to buy abandonware at all.
  • I've gotten one recommendation for Roxio Toast, but I distrust Roxio. They offer no trial downloads, offer no money-back guarantee that I can find, and generally don't seem to Get It. I certainly didn't have very good experiences with Creator on Windows. I also highly doubt that it's very friendly about copy protection schemes, possibly even on audio CDs.
  • Burn is open source, but its abandonware status is uncertain. It hasn't been updated since April.
  • There was another significant open source app I found before but can't find now.

So, I guess, my question: Is this really the state of things? Are there no well-designed indie apps in this genre with regular updates? Or am I missing something?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.