PDA

View Full Version : Getting information about local businesses.

tommyc7
Nov 28, 2009, 09:42 PM
Hi, I'm a programmer, but am completely new to iPhone development. I am still learning how the Core Location / GPS development works, but so far have not found the answer to this.

How do apps like Yelp or AroundMe know the Business Name, address and phone number data in the area. Obviously, there's some data store that gets queried, but do they maintain their own database of this information or is there a service that anyone can use to get the same information?

In other words, where do Yelp-like apps get that data?

Thanks!

Darkroom
Nov 29, 2009, 06:16 AM
Hi, I'm a programmer, but am completely new to iPhone development. I am still learning how the Core Location / GPS development works, but so far have not found the answer to this.

How do apps like Yelp or AroundMe know the Business Name, address and phone number data in the area. Obviously, there's some data store that gets queried, but do they maintain their own database of this information or is there a service that anyone can use to get the same information?

In other words, where do Yelp-like apps get that data?

Thanks!

i would assume that most apps just parse xlm data from internet sites, like the yellowpages or google for business directories.

however, it would be possible for them to maintain their own database, but with the sheer number of businesses around the world this is unlikely what they are doing.

tommyc7
Nov 29, 2009, 10:37 AM
Yeah, I wasn't thinking, it was a pretty easy search to find a few web services that seem to do exactly what I asked about. It seems as though I can use the Core Location APIs to get the coordinates then use, I guess, an HTTP request to one of these services to get the rest of the data.

Is that common of iPhone apps to make web service requests like that behind the scenes?

Darkroom
Nov 29, 2009, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I wasn't thinking, it was a pretty easy search to find a few web services that seem to do exactly what I asked about. It seems as though I can use the Core Location APIs to get the coordinates then use, I guess, an HTTP request to one of these services to get the rest of the data.

Is that common of iPhone apps to make web service requests like that behind the scenes?

of course. just look at all the twitter apps, and the developer of the Scanner 911 app certainly doesn't operate all those scanner feeds himself. parsing public data on the internet as the data source for applications is common practice for more than just iphone apps. it doesn't necessarily make the app any less sophisticated if it requires online public data, it's the way (ease, speed, design, etc.) the user receives the data that is important.

VanMac
Nov 29, 2009, 01:10 PM

Of course, one of the negatives are that your app relies on someone else's infrastructure.....

I may want to pull some similar information. What services are you looking to use?

tommyc7
Nov 29, 2009, 01:27 PM
Darkroom, thanks for the advice. Very much appreciated.

VanMac, well, I'm really just starting my search, but the Yahoo Local Search Web Services (http://developer.yahoo.com/search/local/V3/localSearch.html), at first glance, appears to do this type of lookup. The only problem though is that they put limits on usage are do not authorize commercial use. I think it might be tough to find free or very inexpensive, but I will keep look and let you know if I find anything else. If you have any luck, please share.

BTW, I agree that it's a negative that you have to rely on a third party, but that would be way too much data for me to maintain and like Darkroom said, that happens all of the time.

VanMac
Nov 29, 2009, 03:18 PM
VanMac, well, I'm really just starting my search, but the Yahoo Local Search Web Services (http://developer.yahoo.com/search/local/V3/localSearch.html), at first glance, appears to do this type of lookup. The only problem though is that they put limits on usage are do not authorize commercial use. I think it might be tough to find free or very inexpensive, but I will keep look and let you know if I find anything else. If you have any luck, please share.

BTW, I agree that it's a negative that you have to rely on a third party, but that would be way too much data for me to maintain and like Darkroom said, that happens all of the time.

Hey tommyc7.
Ya, relying on outside sources for this type of thing is just how it is.

I'll keep you in the loop if I find anything else as well. All the best in your app development.