PDA

View Full Version : SUPER-MODEL

jefhatfield
Aug 4, 2004, 06:44 AM
how many of you macrumors members are model builders?

i started with plastic ship models (king george v battleship, uss enterprise), shifted to model airplanes (messerschmidt 109, b-17), took a break for seventeen years, and now i am back to building models and i am currently into balsa wood fishing boat models for the last nine years

www.historicfishing.net/

:)

sandmann41
Aug 4, 2004, 07:28 AM
how many of you macrumors members are model builders?

i started with plastic ship models (king george v battleship, uss enterprise), shifted to model airplanes (messerschmidt 109, b-17), took a break for seventeen years, and now i am back to building models and i am currently into balsa wood fishing boat models for the last nine years

www.historicfishing.net/

:)

I used to build modeals all the time. I still have a ton of them at my parents house.
Now you have me wanting to build one. :)

jefhatfield
Aug 4, 2004, 07:45 AM
I used to build modeals all the time. I still have a ton of them at my parents house.
Now you have me wanting to build one. :)

what kind of models did you used to build?

you're never too old to restart that hobby...when i entered high school, i got into girls and dropped the models really quick ;)

but now much later in life, i find it's a great way to reduce stress...i am not as good as i used to be and i don't plan to build anything perfect, i just like the process now and i get together with my friend and work on a number of boat models

we knew we got into a type of model building, from scratch from historic photographs, which takes many years to get used to, but that made us get into it for the long haul

ejb190
Aug 4, 2004, 09:32 AM
I used to do a lot of model rockets. I have done a few cars, boats and airplanes over the years. A couple of years ago I started building replicas from scrach. Started with a couple of Star Wars Lightsabers which turned out pretty well. Now I wish I hadn't given all of them to my now ex-nephew-in-law.... I have a Plymouth Roadrunner on my table right now that I started for a 4-H Models workshop I did this summer. I judge at a few county fairs every summer. Lot of fun and I am always amazed at the skills some of the kids have.

Lately I have been doing a good bit of wood working. Clocks mostly, but I have a great idea for a shelf in the back of my head. Probably get around to it this winter.

krimson
Aug 4, 2004, 11:43 AM
I used to do alot of models, but i ran out of places to put/hang them, mostly WWII armor dioramas

kettle
Aug 4, 2004, 11:50 AM
WWII RAF Bomber Command stuff.

The Avro Lancaster is my favourite. It is also a common pattern for model builders to drop them for a nice girlie conundrum instead, gradually finding a way home for their own personal model building renaissance.

I have half built ones waiting to be finished, alas life is a complex thing and famously short for time.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=68705

another thread from wing commander jefhatfield

jefhatfield
Aug 4, 2004, 12:04 PM
WWII RAF Bomber Command stuff.

The Avro Lancaster is my favourite. It is also a common pattern for model builders to drop them for a nice girlie conundrum instead, gradually finding a way home for their own personal model building renaissance.

I have half built ones waiting to be finished, alas life is a complex thing and famously short for time.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=68705

another thread from wing commander jefhatfield

wow, i thought it was at least a year since i put the model topic on the boards ;)

i also put in guitar/musical instrument threads, dual g4 powerbook threads, and a plea to arn to give us delete rights threads ;) , just to name a few...after four years, it's easy to recycle the same information but new people often post so each new thread brings up different people and different topics

one thing that is great about the rumor section of this site is that with so many members, there are bound to be apple employees, and among them, there are bound to be leaks here

though we don't know exactly which rumors are true most of the time, every move apple has made has been predicted here...release date of osx, the cube, the g4 flat panel imac, the ipod, etc :)

wdlove
Aug 4, 2004, 09:14 PM
I used to build models from kits also during my childhood. Mine were the easy type. I did build one ship, don't remember what it was now though.