Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
I am re-thinking my whole Mac scenario. Love my dual G4 Power Mac but it is overkill for my needs. I got it last year because they had just reduced the price and for the moola, it was the better buy over my other consideration at the time which was a PowerBook. You know...more bang for the buck. Thing is I really didn't and don't need all that bang and I am still wondering about getting a PowerBook.

If I Ebayed my entire "fleet" of Macs (dual Power Mac, Studio LCD display, and G3 iBook, I would have enough for the top of the line 15" PowerBook...but is it worth it? I used my iBook as my only computer for a year and a half and loved it except my eyes got tired of looking at a small screen (it was the 14" but the resolution could have been better) and it just wasn't quite powerful enough to do what I needed it to do in some respects (namely some light home movie editing and DVD burning).

I looked at the 17" PB and while I love the display size, it just seems too cumbersome to comfortably rest on your lap or to be mobile with (I would mainly be using it around the house though, as I don't travel that much). I also looked at the 12" PB which is a really handy size (and dare I say, cute) and if I were to go with it, I would definitely keep the Studio display... just out of necessity as the screen is just too small for me to be comfortable with for any length of time...and then I would feel tethered to my desk in order to comfortably use it.
Soooooo...looks like the 15" would be the best choice. I guess I'm just a bit hesitant to go from a 17" screen to a 15" more than anything.

I know there are probably alot of converts out out there who've gone from Power Mac to PowerBook...any thoughts? Regrets?

Vector

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2002
I just bought a 15" PB to replace my PM G4, and i am happy that i did it. It is faster than my PM was, and much quieter. I think that the 15" PB is the best combination of screen space and mobility. While the screen is smaller than the 17", the 17" is not that comfortable to carry around or use when not at a desk. The 12" is too small if you plan on doing any type of graphics work, but it more mobile. I kept my Studio display, and am ordering an ADC/DVI connector so that i can connect it. If you buy the 15" PB with the 128bit video card, then you can use dual displays, mirrored or extended. The resolution on the 15" is 1280x854, so it isn't uncomfortable, for me at least, to use for long periods, but an external display would be very helpful for me to spread all of my work around.

DJY

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Canberra AUST
I love my 17"!
Ok I'm a new switcher.. but before my current PB I was on a PC with a nice 17" flat screen display...
and have owned laptops all my computing life...
12" and 14" versions.

I ummed and ahhed over the 12 vs 15 vs 17 issues for ages...
I read alot of the threads in here and other forums...

As a switcher - of it all went according to plan - I didn't want to go back to Windoze - which meant whatever I bought would become my primary machine - and thus didn't entertain the 12" for long...
When it came down to 15 vs 17 - both are amazing machines... but I for one am very glad I went with the 17" for numerous reaons...

it is a great size for lap, for couch, for bed, for everywhere!
It is thin - light - and WOW the extra realestate is terrific!
means I can compare documents, have multiple windows, move things around - without any problems!
Extra screen size means I can have full size windows for browsin the net or other applications and still have room down the side for iChat and Adium!

The 17" is very portable as well... I have already taken it all over the shop - work, mates houses, and out and about.
I for one am a very quick new convert to both Mac but also my new 17" Powerbook!!! Even my 15" PB mates are now jealous!

PieMac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 3, 2002
I really love the display of the 17" PB and that would totally eliminate my fear of winding up with a screen that is too small (I've gotten very used to my 17" studio display). And, truthfully, I would rarely be taking it with me anywhere...once in a while. Mostly I would just be wandering around the house with it. So maybe I should give more consideration to the 17".

Ideally I would like to keep my display and get the 15", but I would have to sell my studio display to break even on the deal...therein lies the glitch.

vraxtus

macrumors 65816
Aug 4, 2004
San Francisco, CA
PieMac said:
I am re-thinking my whole Mac scenario. Love my dual G4 Power Mac but it is overkill for my needs. I got it last year because they had just reduced the price and for the moola, it was the better buy over my other consideration at the time which was a PowerBook. You know...more bang for the buck. Thing is I really didn't and don't need all that bang and I am still wondering about getting a PowerBook.

Rule of thumb:

Desktops for power

Laptops for mobility

If you don't need power, get a laptop... but don't gripe about the laptop sucking cuz it has no power! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.