PDA

View Full Version : Mac Mini In My Live Synth Rack?

jufros
Nov 29, 2009, 12:05 PM
I'm a keyboardist, bassist, and die hard synth enthusiast. I play keyboard synth as well as bass synth on a regular basis, and I'm very passionate about synthesis of all kinds, modular, additive, subtractive, etc. I've used plenty of software for recording but have always stuck strictly to hardware for live use.

I'd like to add a mini into my live rig. I know that most live acts with macs are using Macbook Pro's today. I've owned a Macbook Pro in the past but it died a horrible painful death on me. Having an actual mouse and screen isn't particularly important to me though. I need my live computer to boot up in Ableton and be ready to accept MIDI messages from my controllers for preset program change messages and continuous controller messages.

I'm going to be using...
- MOTU Ultralite Mk3 as my firewire interface
- Nord Modular G2 Engine as main modular synthesizer
- Axe-Fx Ultra for 32-bit amp modeling, time-based, and modulation effects
- StringPort for pitch->USB 2.0->MIDI conversion (for bass guitar only)

I would need to load some VST's on the mini and constantly accept a barrage of USB 2.0 information from the StringPort. The Ultralite's DSP will handle mixing, compression, and EQ.

How fast of a mini do you think I'll need? Would it be worth it to go with a 2.26 or 2.23 over the 2.0 ghz model? I'll definitely go with 4 GB of RAM.