PDA

View Full Version : iPod SPEAKERS?

redAPPLE
Aug 4, 2004, 08:50 AM
hi.

there has been a couple of threads regarding this issue before, but maybe there has been other speakers you have heard about, that might be better now.

i plan to use my iPod as my main stereo system. i plan to plug the iPod (or the Dock) to a 2.1 stereo speaker system.

the JBL creatures have been popular. i checked them out in an Apple store, but i think the music "cracked" halfway to the max.

i know, i know, the living room i have right now is not that big, i also do not plan to hear very! loud music at home.

i would love to have cheap, good-sounding and beautiful speakers.

maybe you guys have heard about new ones, which i haven't heard or seen yet. thanks in advance.

TootsieToots
Aug 5, 2004, 02:51 PM
While I can't tell you a good set of speakers to get, I will tell you a set of speakers that you SHOULDN'T get -- Sony's desktop personal speakers SRS-A27. I got nice and burned on these crappy speakers. Very cheap, but they require four AA batteries or an AC adapter (which, of course, is not included but available on their website for a mere $20 plus shipping and taxes).

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, just a little advice...

Dreadnought
Aug 5, 2004, 03:12 PM
A friend of mine bought the JBL creatures and they sounded awfull. There was no clearity in sounds, it didn't gave a full sound. They sounded like crap actually. Waste of money! Don't buy computerspeakers, but you can rather buy a couple of monitors or hook it up to your stereo. The only computerspeakers I came accross in all these years that sounded good where the computerspeakers of Bose. You pay a bit more, but you'll definately hear it! Get a pair of mediamates (99 USD, they have enough power to listen to music in your living room loud!) or a Bose acoustimass 3 system (299 USD and you'll have to get an amplifier).

LeeTom
Aug 5, 2004, 03:15 PM
Yeah, you're really selling yourself short with computer speakers. There are no "cheap beautiful sounding" speakers, in my opinion. What I would do if I were you is get a good used integrated amp or reciever, a couple of good bookshelf speakers, and you'll be totally happy. If you live near Seattle, a great place to check out is Hawthorne Stereo. Lots of great used stuff.

Lee Tom

wide
Aug 5, 2004, 03:22 PM
The SoundSticks (now SoundSticks 2) are extraordinarily good speakers, but they are rather expensive.

Jopling
Aug 5, 2004, 03:53 PM
http://m-audio.com/index.php?do=products.main&ID=b57869499ad3dcf48bf242aaa58dca2b

Yummm... M-Audio. Very good 2.1 speakers.

I once saw a site that was mentioned in popular science that had very good 2.1 speakers that also looked phenomenol. I'll try to pull the link up, or someone else might know what I am talking about.

MacFan26
Aug 5, 2004, 05:31 PM
I actually like the JBL creature speakers. Granted, they're not the best, but they can work for being fairly cheap, small, and have pretty good sound. I used them for a year at college and they worked fine. My old Altec Lansing speakers have a lot better sound quality, but if you're not looking for concert hall kind of music, the JBL's should work great.

Peyote
Aug 5, 2004, 05:57 PM
I use Boston Acoustic speakers for my PM and I've always been VERY happy with the sound. They came with a subwoofer...If you turn the bass up too much it will start to distort, but the level at which it sounds good is already loud, so it's never been a problem. The mids and highs are wonderful from these speakers.

These are similar to what I have, mine are an older model though.

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Boston_Acoustics_BA790

redAPPLE
Aug 6, 2004, 07:38 AM
A friend of mine bought the JBL creatures and they sounded awfull. There was no clearity in sounds, it didn't gave a full sound. They sounded like crap actually. Waste of money! Don't buy computerspeakers, but you can rather buy a couple of monitors or hook it up to your stereo. The only computerspeakers I came accross in all these years that sounded good where the computerspeakers of Bose. You pay a bit more, but you'll definately hear it! Get a pair of mediamates (99 USD, they have enough power to listen to music in your living room loud!) or a Bose acoustimass 3 system (299 USD and you'll have to get an amplifier).

does the mediamates sound flat? i plan to put the speakers in my small living room and plug my iPod to the speakers. i do not plan to connect a computer to the speakers.

MacRy
Aug 6, 2004, 09:07 AM
I know that this is no help whatsoever but I took delivery of my new Creative Travelsound portable speakers today an they're great. Not really the kind of thing that you're after but I just had to share my love of them with everyone :)

Great sound from such a tiny little set of speakers.

MacinDoc
Aug 6, 2004, 09:49 AM
Anyone know if the Altec Lanseng speakers made for the iPod are any good? (I know, you can't get reference quality sound from these, but my wife wanted something portable to use with her iPod.)

titaniumducky
Aug 6, 2004, 10:35 AM
hi.

there has been a couple of threads regarding this issue before, but maybe there has been other speakers you have heard about, that might be better now.

i plan to use my iPod as my main stereo system. i plan to plug the iPod (or the Dock) to a 2.1 stereo speaker system.

the JBL creatures have been popular. i checked them out in an Apple store, but i think the music "cracked" halfway to the max.

i know, i know, the living room i have right now is not that big, i also do not plan to hear very! loud music at home.

i would love to have cheap, good-sounding and beautiful speakers.

maybe you guys have heard about new ones, which i haven't heard or seen yet. thanks in advance.

If the computer doesn't need to plug into these speakers, don't get computer speakers.

Go ahead and get a 2.1 sound system (you'll get much better sound for the price) and an 1/8" to RCA wire. The wires can be found in most Radioshacks.

As for specific sound systems, I can't recommend any particulars; just look around.

lordmac
Aug 6, 2004, 12:01 PM
Anyone know if the Altec Lanseng speakers made for the iPod are any good? (I know, you can't get reference quality sound from these, but my wife wanted something portable to use with her iPod.)

I justt got these speakers I must say they sound really quite good for there size. Plus they have a built in iPod dock and even though there made for the iPOd there is an aux. in port u can use to plug anything in to them. Only downside to them is that they are a bit expensive at $150

- sry for and grammer or spelling mistakes cus im too lazy to proofread this ;)

rdowns
Aug 6, 2004, 07:04 PM

I second the Bose Mediamates. I have a set in my office for my iPod and they sound great. I often crank them up loud too. Of course when everyone else is gone.

redAPPLE
Aug 7, 2004, 02:29 AM

which altec lansing speakers exactly?