Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
hi.

there has been a couple of threads regarding this issue before, but maybe there has been other speakers you have heard about, that might be better now.

i plan to use my iPod as my main stereo system. i plan to plug the iPod (or the Dock) to a 2.1 stereo speaker system.

the JBL creatures have been popular. i checked them out in an Apple store, but i think the music "cracked" halfway to the max.

i know, i know, the living room i have right now is not that big, i also do not plan to hear very! loud music at home.

i would love to have cheap, good-sounding and beautiful speakers.

maybe you guys have heard about new ones, which i haven't heard or seen yet. thanks in advance.

TootsieToots

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2004
While I can't tell you a good set of speakers to get, I will tell you a set of speakers that you SHOULDN'T get -- Sony's desktop personal speakers SRS-A27. I got nice and burned on these crappy speakers. Very cheap, but they require four AA batteries or an AC adapter (which, of course, is not included but available on their website for a mere $20 plus shipping and taxes).

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, just a little advice...

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
A friend of mine bought the JBL creatures and they sounded awfull. There was no clearity in sounds, it didn't gave a full sound. They sounded like crap actually. Waste of money! Don't buy computerspeakers, but you can rather buy a couple of monitors or hook it up to your stereo. The only computerspeakers I came accross in all these years that sounded good where the computerspeakers of Bose. You pay a bit more, but you'll definately hear it! Get a pair of mediamates (99 USD, they have enough power to listen to music in your living room loud!) or a Bose acoustimass 3 system (299 USD and you'll have to get an amplifier).

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
Yeah, you're really selling yourself short with computer speakers. There are no "cheap beautiful sounding" speakers, in my opinion. What I would do if I were you is get a good used integrated amp or reciever, a couple of good bookshelf speakers, and you'll be totally happy. If you live near Seattle, a great place to check out is Hawthorne Stereo. Lots of great used stuff.

Lee Tom

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
The SoundSticks (now SoundSticks 2) are extraordinarily good speakers, but they are rather expensive.

MacFan26

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2003
San Francisco, California
I actually like the JBL creature speakers. Granted, they're not the best, but they can work for being fairly cheap, small, and have pretty good sound. I used them for a year at college and they worked fine. My old Altec Lansing speakers have a lot better sound quality, but if you're not looking for concert hall kind of music, the JBL's should work great.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
I use Boston Acoustic speakers for my PM and I've always been VERY happy with the sound. They came with a subwoofer...If you turn the bass up too much it will start to distort, but the level at which it sounds good is already loud, so it's never been a problem. The mids and highs are wonderful from these speakers.

These are similar to what I have, mine are an older model though.

http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Boston_Acoustics_BA790

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
Dreadnought said:
A friend of mine bought the JBL creatures and they sounded awfull. There was no clearity in sounds, it didn't gave a full sound. They sounded like crap actually. Waste of money! Don't buy computerspeakers, but you can rather buy a couple of monitors or hook it up to your stereo. The only computerspeakers I came accross in all these years that sounded good where the computerspeakers of Bose. You pay a bit more, but you'll definately hear it! Get a pair of mediamates (99 USD, they have enough power to listen to music in your living room loud!) or a Bose acoustimass 3 system (299 USD and you'll have to get an amplifier).

does the mediamates sound flat? i plan to put the speakers in my small living room and plug my iPod to the speakers. i do not plan to connect a computer to the speakers.

MacRy

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2004
England
I know that this is no help whatsoever but I took delivery of my new Creative Travelsound portable speakers today an they're great. Not really the kind of thing that you're after but I just had to share my love of them with everyone :)

Great sound from such a tiny little set of speakers.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Anyone know if the Altec Lanseng speakers made for the iPod are any good? (I know, you can't get reference quality sound from these, but my wife wanted something portable to use with her iPod.)

titaniumducky

macrumors 6502a
Nov 22, 2003
redAPPLE said:
hi.

there has been a couple of threads regarding this issue before, but maybe there has been other speakers you have heard about, that might be better now.

i plan to use my iPod as my main stereo system. i plan to plug the iPod (or the Dock) to a 2.1 stereo speaker system.

the JBL creatures have been popular. i checked them out in an Apple store, but i think the music "cracked" halfway to the max.

i know, i know, the living room i have right now is not that big, i also do not plan to hear very! loud music at home.

i would love to have cheap, good-sounding and beautiful speakers.

maybe you guys have heard about new ones, which i haven't heard or seen yet. thanks in advance.

If the computer doesn't need to plug into these speakers, don't get computer speakers.

Go ahead and get a 2.1 sound system (you'll get much better sound for the price) and an 1/8" to RCA wire. The wires can be found in most Radioshacks.

As for specific sound systems, I can't recommend any particulars; just look around.

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
Altec lanseng speakers

MacinDoc said:
Anyone know if the Altec Lanseng speakers made for the iPod are any good? (I know, you can't get reference quality sound from these, but my wife wanted something portable to use with her iPod.)

I justt got these speakers I must say they sound really quite good for there size. Plus they have a built in iPod dock and even though there made for the iPOd there is an aux. in port u can use to plug anything in to them. Only downside to them is that they are a bit expensive at $150

- sry for and grammer or spelling mistakes cus im too lazy to proofread this ;)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Dreadnought said:

I second the Bose Mediamates. I have a set in my office for my iPod and they sound great. I often crank them up loud too. Of course when everyone else is gone.

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
MacinDoc said:

which altec lansing speakers exactly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.