PDA

View Full Version : Apogee One or the Apogee Duet?

greeneagle047
Nov 30, 2009, 12:56 AM
I'm an owner of a new Imac and will soon be getting Logic Studio as well. So far of the research I've done, both the One and Duet seem like great products for a great price. I'm mainly interested in recording as a singer/song writer and record with some other guys in a band. ( I also heard they help a great deal with live performances). Which should I get?

Usually we do either covers of classic and contemporary rock as well as some of our own written stuff.
For instruments it's basically one or two electric guitars, or acoustics depending on the song, drums, bass, synth keyboard, and probably not more then 2 on vocals.

seisend
Nov 30, 2009, 03:49 AM
I'm an owner of a new Imac and will soon be getting Logic Studio as well. So far of the research I've done, both the One and Duet seem like great products for a great price. I'm mainly interested in recording as a singer/song writer and record with some other guys in a band. ( I also heard they help a great deal with live performances). Which should I get?

I'd say if you want to use your interface mainly in your studio and make sound with it and plugin a good external microphone. The Duet is a good choice. If you're more on the road and you want fast recordings with your band and just turn the One on and record, I'd go for the one. After all you'll get better quality with the Duet and external mics I say...
It's the question how professional you will go? One is perfect for a "garage band".

I use the Ensemble and I love Apogee quality.

ChrisA
Nov 30, 2009, 11:04 AM
I'm mainly interested in recording as a singer/song writer and record with some other guys in a band. ( I also heard they help a great deal with live performances). Which should I get?

What exactly will you be simultaneously recording? List all the ics and any MIDI connections. If you are recording a full band there is a good chance neither of these will work for you.

None of us know what "guys in a band" means. Is this a swing era big band with a woodwind section? Are there three people doing backing vocals? Is there a piano or drums involved? If yo have an elect. guitar, do you like to mic the amp or do direct? No one can offer anything but guesses without a list of what exactly needs to be recorded.

greeneagle047
Nov 30, 2009, 06:35 PM
If yo have an elect. guitar, do you like to mic the amp or do direct?.

I would like to be able to both (to mic the amps and do direct) but at this point I feel direct would be better since I don't feel my amps are high enough quality. As far as microphones I have basic equipment from "Blue" like the snowball mic, but I plan on getting a decent condenser mic or 2 also.

pkoch1
Dec 1, 2009, 01:15 AM
I would like to be able to both (to mic the amps and do direct) but at this point I feel direct would be better since I don't feel my amps are high enough quality. As far as microphones I have basic equipment from "Blue" like the snowball mic, but I plan on getting a decent condenser mic or 2 also.

What ChrisA is saying is if you will have to record more than one thing at once, the One is out. If you will have to record more than two things at once, the Duet is out. If you are trying to record the entire band, I would look more at something like the Firepod (enough inputs for the average rock band for less money than the Duet) and some more microphones.

Good luck!

MezicanGangxtah
Dec 1, 2009, 09:10 PM

I reccomend def. going with the duet.
and as a hint, recording guitars via microphone is much better than going direct. even if you have crappy little $100 amps and a radio shack microphone. im serious about this. it will sounds better, if you position it all right. research that and find guitar recording positions. it will really help out in quality.

ghostchild
Dec 6, 2009, 01:16 AM
Hows the playback sound quality on the ONE vs the Duet?

seisend
Dec 8, 2009, 02:38 AM

I don't know that. I'd google it. I say Duet is the better interface and audiocard for playing-back tracks, also recording quality.

One is more an all-in-one device with great quality also. If the One would be better in quality, I don't think there would be a need for the market for the duet .

pkoch1
Dec 8, 2009, 02:52 PM
I don't know that. I'd google it. I say Duet is the better interface and audiocard for playing-back tracks, also recording quality.

One is more an all-in-one device with great quality also. If the One would be better in quality, I don't think there would be a need for the market for the duet .

As far as I know, the A/D/A is identical, except the Duet has two preamps and A/D converters (duet) and the One has one (one)

;)

Liquorpuki
Dec 8, 2009, 03:58 PM
If you're using a Snowball, the mic input isn't even going to go through the audio interface

I'm assuming you're still learning your gear. Both interfaces do the same thing but have great preamps (that's why they're expensive) - just one is Firewire with 2 preamps, the other is USB with 1 preamp. Both are best suited to record one instrument at a time so if you were planning on recording your whole band at once onto multiple tracks, that's impossible. You also won't be able to mic drums using multiple mics, which you're probably not worrying about right now anyway.

If you're just starting out, it's always good to go cheap. 90% of the people I see on audio forums don't need pro quality gear. You could probably do fine with a cheap M-Audio interface but if you have the money, pick up one of the Apogees. Just understand how you're gonna be using it before you buy it.

ricof
Dec 15, 2009, 08:46 PM
When I first started recording my band (and some live sound) I got an Alesis Firewire 16 mixing desk. It did everything I asked of it very well. 8 balanced xlr and another 8 1/4" inputs. The faders interacted with Cubase (i've used it with logic as well) and the quality was awesome.

If you can get hold of one it would be exactly what you need. As well as some half decent microphones (SM57/58 and some condensers).

Hope this helps.

chstr
Dec 15, 2009, 08:57 PM
How long has the one been out? I owned a duet and it was great. The one would be perfect for my needs solo guitar

Sir Cecil
Dec 16, 2009, 03:09 AM

I have auditioned both for sound quality, using AIFF files on both Macbook Pro and iMac i5, with Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro headphones and Focal CMS65 monitors (which I rate as absolutely outstanding powered speakers, by the way).

The playback quality of the Duet is substantially better than the One. At no time, with all types of music, was the difference not immediately obvious to my ears. The Duet is simply smoother and fuller, while the One is relatively grainy-sounding.
This is not to say the One isn't a pleasant-sounding and good value device in its own right. But with my replay equipment, the One is clearly a step down from the Duet.
Of course, we're talking of two units at a very different price. Does the Duet replay quality justify twice the cost of the One? For me, definitely yes. But for those with lesser speakers and playing mp3 music, the additional outlay for the Duet might seem unnecessary and less discernible.
But price aside, and simply listening to the two side-by-side on high quality gear, I find the Duet undoubtedly superior for music replay.

miscend
Dec 21, 2009, 03:51 PM
The Duet and the One have the same audio quality. Use the same pre-amps and AD/DA converters. So you'll get professional studio quality sound whichever one you pick.

Sir Cecil
Dec 22, 2009, 12:29 AM
The Duet and the One have the same audio quality. Use the same pre-amps and AD/DA converters. So you'll get professional studio quality sound whichever one you pick.

I cannot agree that the two units have the same audio quality. I would say they both have very good quality, but as I said above, I find the Duet is clearly superior.
Apogee does not provide specs for these units (much to many people's disgruntlement), so I'd be interested to know just how similar those innards are, including the associated wiring and other considerations that relate to the very different connectivity and housing.
My own direct conversations with Apogee left me in no doubt that they themselves also consider the Duet to sound superior to the One in terms of music playback. Indeed, they talked themselves out of a sale by saying so – I told them I had a Duet already and was considering a One purely for its USB capability. But first I wanted to know if the audio monitoring sound quality of the One was exactly like the Duet. I was told the Duet had a slightly fuller sound. Nevertheless, I auditioned a One from the Apple Store, which confirmed that with my equipment the One sounded somewhat thinner and grainier, and was not a match for the Duet. I subsequently returned the One.
But if anyone has chosen a high-value One over a much more expensive Duet, they will still have a very nice-sounding device.

KeithPratt
Dec 22, 2009, 02:38 PM
Apogee claim to use "similar" components, and the specs they do quote are not the same for the One and Duet. Beyond that they seem to like to keep that air of mystery.

SBell
Dec 29, 2009, 09:59 PM
I have auditioned both for sound quality, using AIFF files on both Macbook Pro and iMac i5, with Beyer Dynamic DT 770 Pro headphones and Focal CMS65 monitors (which I rate as absolutely outstanding powered speakers, by the way).

The playback quality of the Duet is substantially better than the One. At no time, with all types of music, was the difference not immediately obvious to my ears. The Duet is simply smoother and fuller, while the One is relatively grainy-sounding.
This is not to say the One isn't a pleasant-sounding and good value device in its own right. But with my replay equipment, the One is clearly a step down from the Duet.
Of course, we're talking of two units at a very different price. Does the Duet replay quality justify twice the cost of the One? For me, definitely yes. But for those with lesser speakers and playing mp3 music, the additional outlay for the Duet might seem unnecessary and less discernible.
But price aside, and simply listening to the two side-by-side on high quality gear, I find the Duet undoubtedly superior for music replay.

Sir Cecil- I'm curious if you've had any problems with noise/hiss with the Duet - Focal combination? I've got a Duet running into Focal CMS-50s and can't turn the gain on the monitors beyond the 4th notch without getting significant hiss. I sent the Duet back to Apogee and they replaced it with a new one, but I still have the hiss.

Scott

Jolly Jimmy
Dec 30, 2009, 07:15 AM
I chose to buy an Apogee ONE yesterday, it works great. I had a small issue with hiss and pops/clicks but it turned out I'd set the buffer setting to low in Logic. Once the settings were correct the problem disappeared.

I have one persistent problem though; the pop-ups when changing the input/output gain/volume seem to stop working randomly, and only a reboot brings them back. Has anyone with a ONE/Duet encountered a similar problem and managed to fix it? Apogee are still to get back to me on this. I have all the latest Apogee software and I've tried reinstalling multiple times. Running OS 10.6.2

robbysoul
Jan 1, 2010, 04:39 PM
...I have one persistent problem though; the pop-ups when changing the input/output gain/volume seem to stop working randomly, and only a reboot brings them back. Has anyone with a ONE/Duet encountered a similar problem and managed to fix it? Apogee are still to get back to me on this. I have all the latest Apogee software and I've tried reinstalling multiple times. Running OS 10.6.2

I have the same exact issue. I wrote to Apogee support, they sent me a firmware upgrade but unfortunately it didn't solved the problem.

Jolly Jimmy
Jan 1, 2010, 08:21 PM
I have the same exact issue. I wrote to Apogee support, they sent me a firmware upgrade but unfortunately it didn't solved the problem.

Same here, the update the support guy sent me didn't work. I found a workaround to get the popups back without rebooting though. You need to quit and relaunch ONEPopup. I made an automator action app to accomplish this if you are interested. May I ask what version of OS X you are running?

robbysoul
Jan 2, 2010, 01:06 AM
May I ask what version of OS X you are running?

I'm running the same OSX of you 1.6.2 It seems very interesting your workaround. Can you explain how to use it? Thank you so much

Jolly Jimmy
Jan 2, 2010, 08:39 AM
It's just a simple app that quits and relaunches ONEPopup, the app that deals with the popups when changing the gain or volume via your ONE. Just open it when they stop working and they should start appearing again. No need to reboot.

robbysoul
Jan 2, 2010, 11:21 AM
Ah ok! Good job, Very useful waiting a fix from Apogee. Thanks ;)

richpjr
Jan 2, 2010, 11:51 AM
I looked long and hard at both the One and the Duet, but in the end I decided on the Presonus FireStudio Mobile. It has the upgraded preamps from their higher end line, more I/O and works on both a Mac and a PC (I have a Dell laptop from work).

I was always very curious as to the sound difference between the One and Duet and while Apogee is very closed about the actual differences, the Duet appears to sound better than the One.

robbysoul
Jan 2, 2010, 05:19 PM
...the Duet appears to sound better than the One.

I don't know how much better than the ONE the Duet sounds. But the Duet cost twice the price of the ONE and it's also less portable then the ONE :D I love my ONE ;)

richpjr
Jan 3, 2010, 02:21 AM
I don't know how much better than the ONE the Duet sounds. But the Duet cost twice the price of the ONE and it's also less portable then the ONE :D I love my ONE ;)

I was actually leaning towards the One myself if I was going the Apogee route. My A-B comparison was about 10 minutes through an iPod at a noisy Guitar Center - not exactly the best place to audition anything. But there was a difference between the two. The One does not sound bad by any stretch and I would have been happy with it.

SBell
Jan 5, 2010, 08:35 PM
I posted earlier in this thread about having some issues with hiss on the output of the Duet when running into Focal CMS-50 monitors. After troubleshooting with Focal and Apogee we figured out that in this particular combo running from the unbalanced outs of the Duet to the unbalanced inputs of the Focals created some gain staging issues and subsequent hiss. Switching to a TRS 1/4 inch to XLR balanced cable and using the balanced ins on the Focals got rid of the hiss completely. The combo now sounds clean and gorgeous.

I just wanted to follow up in case anyone else had similar issues.

Scott

PS- The customer service from both Focal and Apogee were absolutely excellent!

jhbpa
Jan 8, 2010, 05:02 PM

Duet can do 24/96, best One can do is 24/48

Unless the USB DAC's are asynchronous (One's are not), USB digital connection inherently introduces more jitter than firewire.

So, technically, the Duet should sound better.

freddieje
Mar 31, 2010, 10:37 PM
I purchased both and did a comparison regarding the DAC, Latency, Casing, USB Vs Firewire, etc here (http://www.onevsduet.blogspot.com). I also added some closeup pics of the break-out cables and talk about those.
onevsduet.blogspot.com (http://www.onevsduet.blogspot.com)

Cycom
Apr 1, 2010, 12:31 PM
I purchased both and did a comparison regarding the DAC, Latency, Casing, USB Vs Firewire, etc here (http://www.onevsduet.blogspot.com). I also added some closeup pics of the break-out cables and talk about those.
onevsduet.blogspot.com (http://www.onevsduet.blogspot.com)

Thanks for this. I think I'll be picking up a Duet in the coming months. I'd really like an Ensemble, though. ;)

sk8theday
Apr 5, 2010, 07:53 AM
I have been recording hip hop music for awhile in a nice studio but am attempting to set up small set up at home I have a MACBOOK PRO 4gb memory. im gonna get most likely logic studio and I own a Rode NT-1A
I am getting ready to purchase the one or Duet. The one would be significantly cheaper and an easier investment but i am wondering if I will see significantly better sound quality with duet?? with my mic and simple set up would i be of large benefit investing the extra cash?

Gigazaga
Apr 8, 2010, 04:15 PM
I am getting ready to purchase the one or Duet. The one would be significantly cheaper and an easier investment but i am wondering if I will see significantly better sound quality with duet?? with my mic and simple set up would i be of large benefit investing the extra cash?

I don't think that sound quality is much different. ONE is single channel input and a single stereo output. It is nice and portable and sounds great. It also has a convenient and nice sounding built in mic.

Duet has two inputs at a time and headphone and control room outputs. It works better has the hub of a studio setup.

Both work well with Garage Band and Logic 9. Duet requires firewire so you need to make sure you Mac has that.

freddieje
May 4, 2010, 12:52 PM
I've been using my DUET for some time now and really love it. The sound quality is great and I love the dual inputs.

miscend
May 31, 2010, 05:46 AM
Duet can do 24/96, best One can do is 24/48

Unless the USB DAC's are asynchronous (One's are not), USB digital connection inherently introduces more jitter than firewire.

So, technically, the Duet should sound better.
Yes I stand corrected. Apogee officially say they use similar quality but not the same components in the ONE.

Quoted from the blog above. Apogee regarding the sound quality:

"If you don't need stereo inputs, then ONE will be fine for you. It has the same sound quality as Duet. ONE is USB so it can not record at sample rates higher than 48 kHz and will have slightly more latency than the FireWire Duet, but sound quality is equal."

Black Macbook
Jun 2, 2010, 11:48 PM

The Duet has more gain on the preamps, about 10 db if I recall correctly. This is due to it using firewire and not USB, like the ONE.

chatterwack
Jul 10, 2010, 01:54 PM
The One & Duet are NOT the same!!! Correct me if Im wrong but I remember that the Duet pre's have +10 to +75 dB of gain, as where the One has +10 to 63 dB. My Apogee One (useing Logic) sounded better and has noticeable less latency than my Digi 002 (& PT 8.0) so I sold the 002...very hard for me because I was a PT guy all the way (I still like things about it over Logic 9!) but the higher clarity & quality of my recordings sold me on it. The One is very cool the built in mic impressive, but I'll have to admit my friend's Duet sounds better. Another thing, I was packing up one time for a mobile recording and dropped my One on the (tile) floor and it cracked in half! (open at the seam) I kinda freaked & thought "thats it...Im sure its fried", but I snapped it back together tested it and it still worked perfectly....Shew...!
The One is a great bang for the buck - with the built in mic you can get recording right away with out having to buy a $100 microphone, super quality for those of us on a budget.
If I could do it again, I would have got the Duet because it suits my needs better but the One has got no complaints at all, in fact quite the opposite I hear more compliments than anything and the One has already paid for itself from local guys doing demo & voice over stuff for minimal contributions (20 bucks here & there). Apogee Rocks!

peanutismint
Dec 5, 2010, 12:33 PM
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I've just purchased a One and although I'm enjoying using it I do have a few small gripes -

I can't understand why they'd mandate the use of their 'Maestro' software to change between inputs.... surely there's a way I can select which input I want to use from right there in my DAW without having to load up this other program every time?

Also, whats the deal with the non-standard USB connector.... the only advantage I can see here is to Apogee, that they make more money in replacement cable sales when users invariably lose theirs. Would it have been so crazy to have just used a normal mini-USB connector??!

Another gripe (although I'm sure there's more likely to be a good, technical reason why this isn't possible) is that for a unit with three separate inputs, it'd be nice to be able to record from all three at once, or at least two.....

Other than that, I'm sold. It's about a gazillion times more expensive than I'd like it to be but it's small, extremely portable, very easy to use and sounds fantastic.

yeseter
Dec 6, 2010, 08:35 PM
:mad:thank you very much.But if there is latency I don't mind what quality are the converters.Thank you apogee I have duet and am not using it at all as it is not possible to do software monitoring through it.Not a chance to work professionally.

khollister
Dec 7, 2010, 02:06 PM
:mad:thank you very much.But if there is latency I don't mind what quality are the converters.Thank you apogee I have duet and am not using it at all as it is not possible to do software monitoring through it.Not a chance to work professionally.

Huh? - the Duet has an internal mixer specifically to reduce latency while monitoring input signals. Read pages 18-21 of the manual.

I have no idea what you are referring to.

raxel
Dec 30, 2010, 10:51 AM
You can not simultaneously run the built in Mic and the line-in from a guitar with the One, right? The thing I'd hate to give up with the One is being able to do scratch tracks consisting of electric guitar and vocal in two simultaneous channels. Of course you can play acoustic and sing while using the built-in mic, but that's not always good for me.

If the Duet had a built-in Mic, the choice would be simple for me.

MacMojo1
Jan 9, 2011, 08:18 PM
Same here, the update the support guy sent me didn't work. I found a workaround to get the popups back without rebooting though. You need to quit and relaunch ONEPopup. I made an automator action app to accomplish this if you are interested. May I ask what version of OS X you are running?

Great little app, thanks!

Jolly Jimmy
Jan 9, 2011, 08:39 PM
Apogee support sent me this update a while ago for those still having pop-up problems with the ONE.

peanutismint
Jan 9, 2011, 08:46 PM
Apogee support sent me this update a while ago for those still having pop-up problems with the ONE.

When you guys talk about 'pop-ups', are you talking about the little volume overlays that come up??

Also, if any ONE users here know anything about programming, how easy/hard would it be to write your own version of the 'Maestro' application, a tiny app that just sits in your taskbar and when clicked brings you a menu allowing you to quickly change which input you're using? If the input can be changed within GarageBand without using the Maestro program, surely it must be possible? Would save a few seconds each time you wanted to change I/O!

Jolly Jimmy
Jan 9, 2011, 09:30 PM
When you guys talk about 'pop-ups', are you talking about the little volume overlays that come up??

Yes, that's right.

Also, if any ONE users here know anything about programming, how easy/hard would it be to write your own version of the 'Maestro' application, a tiny app that just sits in your taskbar and when clicked brings you a menu allowing you to quickly change which input you're using? If the input can be changed within GarageBand without using the Maestro program, surely it must be possible? Would save a few seconds each time you wanted to change I/O!

Try this little applescript I just wrote.

peanutismint
Jan 9, 2011, 09:49 PM
Try this little applescript I just wrote.

That is AMAZING :eek: Are you some kind of magician?!!

Thanks so much, it only took a second to open Maestro program each time, but those seconds add up.... ;)

If it's not too much to ask...you've already done so much....!!!!......I don't suppose you might know how I could use this in conjunction with my DAW, do you? For instance, I have some scripts that i use with iTunes but rather than having the little 'Scripts' icon in the taskbar all the time, I've put the iTunes scripts in a certain folder (can't remember where now) that means the script icon is only visible when I have iTunes selected..... Would it be possible to achieve this so that it's included in the menus of my DAW?? (Reaper)

Jolly Jimmy
Jan 9, 2011, 10:23 PM
I don't think that's possible unfortunately. My suggestion would be that you use spotlight to open it quickly.

peanutismint
Jan 9, 2011, 10:29 PM
Ah cool, that's a good idea. Thanks again! I wonder if there's anywhere else you could post that script - I think it'd be invaluable to ONE users!! :)

rodzai
Mar 15, 2011, 12:46 AM
Hey guys! I'm also new to this. I bought the Apogee ONE and I was wondering if I can connect another preamp to the ONE, let's say a Presonus Tubepre that a friend of mine recommended, or which preamp would you guys recommend me that I could connect to the Apogee.

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice! :D

howard
Mar 16, 2011, 03:51 PM
Hey guys! I'm also new to this. I bought the Apogee ONE and I was wondering if I can connect another preamp to the ONE, let's say a Presonus Tubepre that a friend of mine recommended, or which preamp would you guys recommend me that I could connect to the Apogee.

Thanks a lot in advance for your advice! :D

The Apogee ONE's pre is going to be much better than the Presonus Tubepre. (if you mean can you want to connect an ADDITIONAL pre, as in using the ONE's pre and another pre at the same time, this is not possible as the ONE is only a 1 input interface.)

PRPS
Mar 22, 2011, 07:49 AM
i got a duet like 2 months ago and am extremely happy with it. It's much better than the m-audio fast track ultra i had before it broke.

the symphony i/o looks real dope tho

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/symphony-io.php