Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rangrego

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 7, 2009
Hi,
I have 4 hours MiniDV cassette that I want to edit on my machine (FCP-6) .
my record mode on my camera when I filmed was DVCAM (16:9).
some people told me that I need to transcode first my material through compressor to ProRes format,
and than import to the timeline.
First I want to know why I need to resize my video files? isn't it slow the work ? can I work realtime? ProRes is bigger/heavy format than Dv Pal, isn't ??
and second, the quality between those formats is such different ?
finally I need to produce DVD.

Thank you a lot for you friendly help,
Ran.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hi,
I have 4 hours MiniDV cassette that I want to edit on my machine (FCP-6) .
my record mode on my camera when I filmed was DVCAM (16:9).
some people told me that I need to transcode first my material through compressor to ProRes format,
and than import to the timeline.
First I want to know why I need to resize my video files? isn't it slow the work ? can I work realtime? ProRes is bigger/heavy format than Dv Pal, isn't ??
and second, the quality between those formats is such different ?
finally I need to produce DVD.

Thank you a lot for you friendly help,
Ran.

In most cases, it's pointless to transcode DV/DVCPRO/DVCAM material to ProRes. You won't gain anything from it but significantly larger files. The quality won't be any different. ProRes is present in FCP for two major reasons:

1. For quality on-line finishes of material that originated from higher bitrate formats (like Uncompressed 4:2:2).

2. As an intermediate codec for formats FCP can't work with natively (e.g. AVCHD, REDCODE, etc.).

Keep the material in its native format. When the project is finished, export a self-contained QT file using the same settings and drop that into Compressor and encode the video and audio for DVD - you should encode a .m2v video file and an .ac3 or .aiff audio file. You would then bring those into DVD Studio Pro for authoring the disc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.