PDA

View Full Version : Best Buy: No Way To Sell Apples

MacBytes
Nov 30, 2009, 08:26 AM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Opinion/Interviews
Link: Best Buy: No Way To Sell Apples (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20091130092654)
Description:: Why its service to optimize Macs is a terrible strategy.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

brownieguy19
Nov 30, 2009, 11:11 AM
This makes me sick. Apple Care isn't even $300 for an iMac.

I think Apple should flex their arm and do something. Ever since I worked for Best Buy in high school, I can't stand them or their practices.

numediaman
Nov 30, 2009, 11:15 AM
To my utter surprise, the Best Buy near me now has someone in the Mac area that actually understands Macs. What she lacks in personality she at least makes up for with a basic knowledge of Macs.

Unfortunately, she is the only one there like that there . . . so the next time I was in the store there was a salesperson explaining to a customer why iMacs have no place for CDs, and that you can not hook up a printer to a Mac because there are no USB ports (really). When they were pointed out to him he replied "oh, that's new, 'bout time Apple added ports to their computers."

RHatton
Nov 30, 2009, 11:32 AM
I worked at Best Buy selling Macs and not once did I sell a mac optimization. I told my manager I am not dishonest enough to sell a customer something that the computer does on its own. I don't mind working there and selling their products. I just wish they were a little more straightforward with customers about the services.

shamino
Nov 30, 2009, 11:43 AM
Best Buy had better be careful. Apple has never taken kindly to being back-stabbed by their own resellers. If this is taking place on a large scale, Apple may decide to stop selling all products (including iPods) through Best Buy.

Best Buy stands to lose a lot more than Apple if they force them to pull this trigger.

cderalow
Nov 30, 2009, 01:16 PM
sadly, the warranty for a MBP is $349, though I've always wondered the disparity in costs when it comes to the warranty for other portables.

xIGmanIx
Nov 30, 2009, 01:24 PM
What? I think they will manage as they just recently (1-2 years maybe?) have sold mac's and were doing just fine without them. I don't think losing mac's would hurt BB at all, as apple has more to gain, plus not all BB stores even have a Mac area, so i think they will get by

Best Buy had better be careful. Apple has never taken kindly to being back-stabbed by their own resellers. If this is taking place on a large scale, Apple may decide to stop selling all products (including iPods) through Best Buy.

Best Buy stands to lose a lot more than Apple if they force them to pull this trigger.

steve knight
Nov 30, 2009, 04:04 PM
I got this a few years ago at best buy when buying a ipod. got to get the extended warranty because the battery will only last one year. this is typical in big chains where the real profit is made in the extended warranty. even apple makes more money on their extended warranty.

shamino
Nov 30, 2009, 05:05 PM
What? I think they will manage as they just recently (1-2 years maybe?) have sold mac's and were doing just fine without them. I don't think losing mac's would hurt BB at all, as apple has more to gain, plus not all BB stores even have a Mac area, so i think they will get by
Nobody wants to lose products that sell. The fact that there was a time, a few years ago, when those product weren't sold doesn't change anything.

And they don't only sell Macs. iPods are very popular and draw in lots of customers who buy other things. BB would not want to lose that series of products, and I don't think Apple is above using that leverage if they feel they're being abused by their resellers.

NoSmokingBandit
Nov 30, 2009, 06:01 PM

Didnt you know the only reason Best Buy can keep its doors open is because of Apple?

:rolleyes:

lPHONE
Nov 30, 2009, 06:49 PM
I will agree that the $40 optimizing is crap. Macs don't need virus protection. However...

I had a good experience with Best Buy's version of AppleCare. I spilled a hot cup of coffee all over the keyboard of a white MacBook and toasted the Logic Board. Took it to BB and they said "well, it looks like it got some kind of liquid on it or something... Oh well... Here, have a new one." I was totally stoked. AppleCare would NEVER honor a liquid spill under warranty. EVER.

ucfgrad93
Nov 30, 2009, 07:37 PM
Wow, that is pathetic on Best Buy's part.

erratikmind
Nov 30, 2009, 08:09 PM
Hopefully, these types of practices will catch up to them in short time.

steve knight
Nov 30, 2009, 08:28 PM
been doing it for years why would they stop?

Beligerent
Nov 30, 2009, 09:09 PM
this reminds me of when I bought my iMac at CompUSA in 2007. I practically got in a fist fight with the kid who sold it to me. He refused to sell me the computer without the "required warranty coverage" He got the manager to come over and the of them were trying to work me over on all the terrible things that would happen if I didnt buy the warranty.

TheQuestion
Dec 1, 2009, 12:33 AM
this reminds me of when I bought my iMac at CompUSA in 2007. I practically got in a fist fight with the kid who sold it to me. He refused to sell me the computer without the "required warranty coverage" He got the manager to come over and the of them were trying to work me over on all the terrible things that would happen if I didnt buy the warranty.

LOL, they did the same freaking thing to me! The manager flat out said, i can't let you leave the store without an extended warranty. He then told me that Applecare's warranty doesn't cover the display and it breaks the warranty if you purchase a new battery. I told him I was certified in Apple desktop support and he didn't have a clue what he was talking about.

XNine
Dec 1, 2009, 12:40 AM
To my utter surprise, the Best Buy near me now has someone in the Mac area that actually understands Macs. What she lacks in personality she at least makes up for with a basic knowledge of Macs.

Unfortunately, she is the only one there like that there . . . so the next time I was in the store there was a salesperson explaining to a customer why iMacs have no place for CDs, and that you can not hook up a printer to a Mac because there are no USB ports (really). When they were pointed out to him he replied "oh, that's new, 'bout time Apple added ports to their computers."

First, is she hot?
Second, if she's hot, why have you not shown her your hip thrust yet? Or have you?
Third, that moron should be fired. No room for stupidity. People like him are absolutely worthless. When I worked for Apple, it was understood by everyone that you were to know what you were talking about, or you were out the door.

jav6454
Dec 1, 2009, 12:46 AM
First, is she hot?
Second, if she's hot, why have you not shown her your hip thrust yet? Or have you?
Third, that moron should be fired. No room for stupidity. People like him are absolutely worthless. When I worked for Apple, it was understood by everyone that you were to know what you were talking about, or you were out the door.

Hot or not, stupid people like that shouldn't be talking about what they don't know. That sends out the message, "it's ok to be stupid as long as you are Miss California or Miss North Carolina."

A sales person must know what they sell.

alent1234
Dec 1, 2009, 08:28 AM

years ago i was looking at laptops at compusa and they would push the warranty and accidental damage. the sales drones would say that you could throw your laptop out a window, bring it in and they would give you a new one. and idiots actually believed it

johng2222
Dec 1, 2009, 10:13 AM
BB and all the box stores selling "warranties" are playing the same game, by the same rules - which means everyone who comes in should be there to buy something, and as much something as they can be made to carry out the door whether they need it or want it.

"Buyer beware" means more all the time when "sales ass-ociates" are pack wolves in sheep's clothing. Sadly, many "ass-ociates" are simply sub-par adults (or, near adults) who are poorly educated in many ways, including basic ethics. "Yes, I am a member of the SS, but I just work here." Clueless or uncaring about the damage they dish out daily to people who just wanted to buy a solution, not a problem.

As noted, do not buy extended warranties on any product through a store. You will not get what you paid for most of the time and what you do get will depend on the short straw you get when you get an ass-ociate to look at "your" problem. It may come out your way, it may not, but the point is it depends more on the "ass-ociate" you "draw" than anything you may have in writing...

Meanwhile, if you buy an Apple, do get the warranty. Nothing made in a huge factory by the thousands and shipped thousands of miles is going to necessarily be perfect. I've had both kinds of luck with Apples and regard the warranty as insurance, nothing more. I've had problems, and Apple has made good on their machines, but I've never gotten the repair TIME back - just a working machine. That's insurance on material loss, nothing more.

Still, that's better than what I've gotten from Best Buy, which is low prices, low behavior, and, sadly, both time and money lost.

53buick
Dec 2, 2009, 10:26 AM
Apple should just pull out of Best Buy. I really don't think it's benefiting either company at all. Apple confuses Best Buy, while Best Buy cheapens Apple.

Liquorpuki
Dec 4, 2009, 04:32 PM
Back in 2003 I worked as a technician for a company Best Buy contracted with to service their extended warranty for laptops. You don't want to know what we did with your computers but I'll tell you anyway. Customer computers ended up disassembled and stripped for replacement parts for other customer computers. At the end of the month some of them had nothing left but the motherboards. Hard drives were accidentally swapped and I'd see angry letters where the customer was going crazy because they lost all their data. A laptop would come in for a simple problem like a broken CD-ROM and would get sent back with the CD-ROM still broken and some other crap wrong like a broken LCD. I'd tell my friends, never buy the Best Buy warranty.

3 other things I learned that might be good to know:

1) There are some companies with decent tech support (IE Fry's has some pretty sharp in-house technicians) but most Best Buy technicians are dumb as hell. My company was supposed to fix the laptops that the in-house tech support did not have the resources to fix. Instead here's an example of what happened: HP makes a brand of laptop with a button right above the touchpad that disables it. I'd get a ton of laptops marked with touchpad broken when all tech support had to do was push the stupid button to turn it back on.

2) One of the technicians working there was a former Best Buy sales rep. He explained to us that using their sales model, Best Buy made very little profit off the primary product they were selling (AKA computer, TV). Where they made a ton of money is off overpriced cables, accessories and their warranty. A good sales rep was supposed to be able to add $200 to the original purchase.

3) If a sales rep tries to sell you an extended warranty you don't want, just casually say you're an engineer and you usually fix everything yourself. I've never had them push further after that.

cjmillsnun
Dec 5, 2009, 06:58 PM
Hot or not, stupid people like that shouldn't be talking about what they don't know. That sends out the message, "it's ok to be stupid as long as you are Miss California or Miss North Carolina."

A sales person must know what they sell.

I think the question about whether she was hot or not referred to the sales woman who actually DID know about Apple products, not her incompetent colleague!

CQd44
Dec 6, 2009, 09:31 PM
Apple should just pull out of Best Buy. I really don't think it's benefiting either company at all. Apple confuses Best Buy, while Best Buy cheapens Apple.

yet the iphone is sold at wal mart. cheapening the image isn't the issue here i think.