Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
It never gets more accurate that a block radius...sometimes is completely off by a few blocks. What's the point if it's wrong often and displays such a wide radius? And I have waited a number of minutes to see if it becomes more accurate, but it never does. I live in downtown Miami and the phone's reception is not obstructed.

How does it work for everyone else?

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Yeah I've tried it and it can locate it to the room I put it in in my house.

When it's place outside the it will locate it in less than 5 seconds.

raison

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2009
Yeah I've tried it and it can locate it to the room I put it in in my house.

When it's place outside the it will locate it in less than 5 seconds.

Lol. Mine isn't that accurate but it does find my accurate location in about 2 minutes. Also I use a little script I found on the net that constantly synchronizes MobileMe and google latitude. I don't know if that helps to get a better accuracy

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
If the iPhone isn't in line of sight to the sky then it can't get a true GPS accurate lock .... in that case it purely goes from the A-GPS which is basically the cell tower you're phone is in communication with.

Macsterguy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2007
Texas
Find my iPhone found my iPhone... It was in my right hand... The last time I saw it, it was in my left hand...

synagence

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
What do you expect? It gives you as good a location as it can at the time .... if that happens to be indoor then most likely it'll be vague at best...

When i'm at work it 'locates' me as being in a radius of about 2 miles .... hardly useful but i appreciate technical limitations of the fact that satellites are several miles straight up and if the iphone can't detect the signal it can only do so much

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
What do you expect? It gives you as good a location as it can at the time .... if that happens to be indoor then most likely it'll be vague at best...

When i'm at work it 'locates' me as being in a radius of about 2 miles .... hardly useful but i appreciate technical limitations of the fact that satellites are several miles straight up and if the iphone can't detect the signal it can only do so much

Google maps locates me within a few meters, while 'locate my iPhone' (in the same spot) gets within a half mile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.