PDA

View Full Version : My mac's first major problem!

pdpfilms
Aug 4, 2004, 02:00 PM
Help!!! I just turned on my powerbook that's been dormant for a few weeks, and attempted to connect to the internet via Airport. ISSUES! The airport network is detected, and can be joined, but no internet. Under network status, Airport is orange and says something like "Computer is connected to airport network, but has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet". After fiddling with pretty much every network preference i could find, it still displaed the same message and would not load any web pages. My G5 is connecting to the internet flawlessly, as well as another powerbook on the network. HOWEVER: I connected the problematic PB to the connected powerbook via ethernet. I then shared the airport internet connection through the ethernet cable to the problematic PB, to see if it was an issue other than what it was saying. Safari began to load a page, then stopped. I tried again, then disconnected the ethernet cable. Immediately after, I attempted to access the internet on the (previously) connected powerbook, only to find that it wouldnt, and was displaying the same message under network status: Self-Assigned IP Address. Is this some kind of virus? How do i fix it? Help is greatly appreciated.
-klon

This just in! The problem just afflicted my G5 without any hardwire connection. I reset the base station, and now I can connect. Phew. Will check PB's now...

Phew. Looks like the base station just needed a good old resetting. However, I'm still curious as to why it all of a sudden got an assigned IP address and it came over each computer individually, and not all at once. Anybody?

titaniumducky
Aug 4, 2004, 02:47 PM
Help!!! I just turned on my powerbook that's been dormant for a few weeks, and attempted to connect to the internet via Airport. ISSUES! The airport network is detected, and can be joined, but no internet. Under network status, Airport is orange and says something like "Computer is connected to airport network, but has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet". After fiddling with pretty much every network preference i could find, it still displaed the same message and would not load any web pages. My G5 is connecting to the internet flawlessly, as well as another powerbook on the network. HOWEVER: I connected the problematic PB to the connected powerbook via ethernet. I then shared the airport internet connection through the ethernet cable to the problematic PB, to see if it was an issue other than what it was saying. Safari began to load a page, then stopped. I tried again, then disconnected the ethernet cable. Immediately after, I attempted to access the internet on the (previously) connected powerbook, only to find that it wouldnt, and was displaying the same message under network status: Self-Assigned IP Address. Is this some kind of virus? How do i fix it? Help is greatly appreciated.
-klon

This just in! The problem just afflicted my G5 without any hardwire connection. I reset the base station, and now I can connect. Phew. Will check PB's now...

Phew. Looks like the base station just needed a good old resetting. However, I'm still curious as to why it all of a sudden got an assigned IP address and it came over each computer individually, and not all at once. Anybody?

That error usually occurs when DHCP doesn't function properly, meaning the router doesn't give the computer an IP.

vraxtus
Aug 4, 2004, 02:52 PM
I've gotten a bunch of problems like that with my Linksys router before. A lot of times all you need to do is either hard reset the router or go into the router settings and reconnect.

wPod
Aug 4, 2004, 03:10 PM
I've gotten a bunch of problems like that with my Linksys router before. A lot of times all you need to do is either hard reset the router or go into the router settings and reconnect.

i agree, sounds like difficulties within the router.

~Shard~
Aug 4, 2004, 03:49 PM
Sounds like your router acting up - it isn't managing DHCP as it should be, so it just needs a hard kick - I mean, hard reset. ;) :cool:

Ryan1524
Aug 4, 2004, 04:00 PM
yea. sounds like the router. restart your router. then maybe the modem too. if that doesn't work, shut everything down, then restart them one by one, starting from the modem.

Mord
Aug 4, 2004, 06:00 PM
yeah i get that every now and again on my d-link router

~Shard~
Aug 4, 2004, 06:45 PM
yea. sounds like the router. restart your router. then maybe the modem too. if that doesn't work, shut everything down, then restart them one by one, starting from the modem.

And if that doesn't work, spin yourself counterclockwise and do a jig...

upperblue79
Aug 4, 2004, 07:09 PM
If I have that problem i will go into the system, click network, then under airport click configure, then go to TCP/IP tab and click renew DHCP lease. That always works for me, cause there are times I go to public places where I can't reset the router and my method works for me and I think it is easier.