PDA

View Full Version : eMac + Extended Desktop Issue.

neoelectronaut
Aug 4, 2004, 02:10 PM
Alrighty, let's see here...

I know about the iBook/eMac/iMac hack that was created to use the system's video out port to enable extended desktop, rather than just video mirroring.

I'd like to do this, but I'd rather not buy a 2nd monitor if I don't have to.

Rather, I'd like to use an old 13" TV I have in my closet that isn't being used for anything. (I actually have 2--one is so old it has knobs...and one for UHF. O_O) I know that a adapter is available for S-Video and Composite video, so I figger I could get that, and a RF conversion box. (If possible, one only for video, since I won't need audio)

I know that TV isn't optimal for stuff that requires high detail, but I was just going to use it to put my marine aquarium on, maybe play some old SNES games, and watch DVD movies.

So, well, would this work?

I just had a thought.

I have an old NES/SNES RF adapter lying around, similar to this (http://people.freenet.de/klootzak/RF_Switch_Front_+_Back_klein.jpg).

The plug on the NES/SNES end looks very similar to a composite cable. I wonder if I'd be able to use this and completely bypass the need for a RF converter box. Hmm.

rand()
Aug 4, 2004, 04:37 PM
I would definitely go with the video adapter. As long as your monitor has a composite, or S-vid in, you'll be set with no other adaptors. And like you said, an RF mod will work if you don't have a comp or S in.

There's no reason the desktop-extender hack won't work - it'll just detect the second monitor at 60hz. I don't know what res it will run... 640x480's my guess.

However, the Nintendo RF adaptor isn't going to work... sorry. if it's the one I'm thinking of (an RCA cable goes to a box with a cable-in and cable-out) that's not actually a modulator - just an adaptor that overlaps the Nintendo signal with whatever you're getting via cable. The signal is already moduated in the Nintendo itself. Sorry :)

And I'm not sure if they make RF-mods with video only - but it won't matter if you hook nothing to the audio anyway.

-rand()

neoelectronaut
Aug 4, 2004, 04:58 PM
I would definitely go with the video adapter. As long as your monitor has a composite, or S-vid in, you'll be set with no other adaptors. And like you said, an RF mod will work if you don't have a comp or S in.

There's no reason the desktop-extender hack won't work - it'll just detect the second monitor at 60hz. I don't know what res it will run... 640x480's my guess.

However, the Nintendo RF adaptor isn't going to work... sorry. if it's the one I'm thinking of (an RCA cable goes to a box with a cable-in and cable-out) that's not actually a modulator - just an adaptor that overlaps the Nintendo signal with whatever you're getting via cable. The signal is already moduated in the Nintendo itself. Sorry :)

And I'm not sure if they make RF-mods with video only - but it won't matter if you hook nothing to the audio anyway.

-rand()

Thanks for your thoughts. The only reason I brought up the idea of a RF converter box with video only is that it'd be cheaper, and that's all I would need.

Anywho, yeah. I have an old 13" TV (Well, not really that old.) that I'd like to use as a second monitor. Would this work? (With no video in ports, which is why I brought up the RF modulator box idea) Or does it have to be an actual 2nd computer monitor for it to be extended?