PDA

View Full Version : Can't see linksys router

Stevp1
Aug 4, 2004, 02:16 PM
Just got access to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Everything is set for no security. About the only thing I've done is changed the SSID. It's set for broadcast, thouhg. (this is a test environment, so I don't have to worry about that for the time being.)

Problem is, my PB wont even acknowledge it's there. Whether I use the airport config stuff, macstumbler, kismac, whatever, it won't see the WAP. I know I've read some issues with Linksys, but I can't find anything like this in the forums.

Does it make a difference that I'm also connected via hardwire to the router?

Any suggestions?

Steve

wPod
Aug 4, 2004, 02:59 PM
if you are connected to the router with a wire at the SAME time you are trying to connect via wi-fi there may be a problem. i encounterd some problems with that using a d-link router. i could see the router but i could not get on the internet. un-plug from the router. then in system prefs under network check to make sure your airport inst looking for a known server. or a secure server. i forget off the top of my head where these settings are (and exactly what they say) but i dont have a mac infront of me right now to tell you.

Stevp1
Aug 4, 2004, 04:40 PM
hmmm, interesting idea.

I don't know if it also makes a difference, but this router isn't hooked into broadband right now. It's just being used to hand out addresses on a lan. It'll go into full service after we finish testing.

I've tried everything I can think of. re-starting airport, re-booting, etc.

seamuskrat
Aug 4, 2004, 05:59 PM
Directly connect and go the the LinkSys homepage and download the LATEST drivers/Firmware for this model.

With Airport Express, Macs have trouble with this model. I updated the firmware and it was all foxed.

Just got access to a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. Everything is set for no security. About the only thing I've done is changed the SSID. It's set for broadcast, thouhg. (this is a test environment, so I don't have to worry about that for the time being.)

Problem is, my PB wont even acknowledge it's there. Whether I use the airport config stuff, macstumbler, kismac, whatever, it won't see the WAP. I know I've read some issues with Linksys, but I can't find anything like this in the forums.

Does it make a difference that I'm also connected via hardwire to the router?

Any suggestions?

Steve

Stevp1
Aug 4, 2004, 11:22 PM
That seems to be the consensus, update the firmware.

thanks for the input. I'll be back if that doesn't fox it. ;)

Steve

Rezet
Aug 5, 2004, 12:09 AM
That seems to be the consensus, update the firmware.

thanks for the input. I'll be back if that doesn't fox it. ;)

Steve

last time i checked linksys didnt support macs officially. Out of curiousity, why not just go for belkin or dlink that DO support macs.
For one reason that you can call them and ask questions.

superbovine
Aug 5, 2004, 07:42 AM
ok, are you sure you have the transmitter enabled? i dunno about that particular model, but usually you can enable and disable the radio transmitter. i think that is your problem.

Stevp1
Aug 5, 2004, 10:23 AM
last time i checked linksys didnt support macs officially. Out of curiousity, why not just go for belkin or dlink that DO support macs.
For one reason that you can call them and ask questions.

wasn't a choice. It was handed to me. Connecting with my Mac isn't the priority (just a nice benefit...)

Stevp1
Aug 5, 2004, 10:24 AM
ok, are you sure you have the transmitter enabled? i dunno about that particular model, but usually you can enable and disable the radio transmitter. i think that is your problem.

I'll check that. I"ve got the firmware update to do today, but I'll look at that too. Thanks.

emw
Aug 5, 2004, 11:49 AM
For what it's worth, I'm running a Linksys WRT45G in conjunction with a Linksys cable router (non-wireless), and I am able to connect with both my Laptop (Airport) and iMac (Airport Express). I'm not at home so I can't quote firmware levels, but it started out of the box. So at least it's workable.

The only other thing I can think of is that sometimes other devices will interfere with the settings. I had a wireless phone next to my Mac one day and couldn't get a signal. Move the phone, get a signal.

Stevp1
Aug 5, 2004, 11:49 AM
Firmware did the trick! thanks all.