Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perry mason

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 30, 2009
Hello, I'm trying to install XP pro SP2 on a white plastic macbook. I know little about macs. It's an MB403LL/A. It came to me with Leopard installed but it's not a fresh install. There is also a 50gb FAT32 partition.
If I run BCA it gives this message: "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition." And goes on to give advice about backing up the existing OS, repartitioning with Disk Utility to one big drive somehow and restoring the OS and then running BCA again to make a windows partition. This sounds like a lot of work. I have the factory disks, a legit copy of Vista Business (not my choice) and a homemade XPproSP2 unattended slip stream install CD.
This from Disk Utility:
Hitachi 149.1GB Partition map scheme: Master Boot Record
Macintosh HD 98.6 Format: Mac OS extended (journaled)
Disc0S2: 50.3GB Format: MS-DOS (Fat32) Owner enabled:NO used: 617MB
I tried to install XP but it didn't go well, stalling at the first reboot. I think I made a wrong choice at the pick list for where to install windows partitionwise.
When I boot with the option key down and pick WindowsXP I get this black screen: "Disc error, press any key to restart. No bootable device- insert boot disc and press any key."
Pressing any key does nothing. I hold down the power button and when I restart the fan goes into hyperdrive, I can't eject the CD holding down the trackpad key and it's a general panic. I pull the battery and restart which takes about 3 restarts to get to the Mac desktop again with the fan running normally.
Probably a separate issue but once when watching a youtube the fan pitch climbed real high and a loud beeping sound ensued, broadcasting some sos code, so many long, short etc. I pulled the battery and it took a lot of restarts to get back to the desktop but I'm typing on it now. Is there some magic key combo for a panic shutdown? Sometimes, even with no real load on the cpu the fan speed will start to climb. I close the lid for a while and it stops. Sometimes it takes a few cycles of this to calm down. Any suggestions?
So what should I do now? I want to install xp as a boot option from the option key, not a virtual machine.
I need XP to run some expensive software I already paid for and know how to use. Thank you for your time, mk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.