PDA

View Full Version : Keep my PowerBook in Top Shape?!?

boxmetogo
Aug 4, 2004, 04:04 PM
hey, i just got my powerbook like 2 days ago. Im pretty new to macs so i need some suggestions. I want to keep my powerbook running well and last me awhile. Is there any suggestions on scanning programs or cleaning programs to clean out unecissary files and program. anything would help?

NP3
Aug 4, 2004, 05:57 PM
hey, i just got my powerbook like 2 days ago. Im pretty new to macs so i need some suggestions. I want to keep my powerbook running well and last me awhile. Is there any suggestions on scanning programs or cleaning programs to clean out unecissary files and program. anything would help?

I would suggest the free programs MacJanitor & Cache Out X. They both can be found on www.versiontracker.com

MacJanitor runs system cleaning operations on demand that normally would run only if the computer is on at 3 A.M. Not likely for most users.

Cache Out cleans out system / user caches that the computer holds to quickly bring up windows etc...also internet browser history / cookies if you like.

Also i would strongly suggest buying a copy of Diskwarrior 3. It has saved me multiple times....what it does is correct an incorrect directory of the harddrive..this is where your computer knows where all files are physically stored & where most of your corruption (if any) will come from.

Also to keep the battery running the longest you should charge it all the way up and then let it drain completely (let the computer run until it goes to sleep due to no pwoer). You should do this the first time you start using the battery....if not go ahead and do it now. You only have to do it once...although i recommend doing it once every 6 months or so.

Mord
Aug 4, 2004, 05:58 PM
your on a mac you dont even have to think of anything like that, if you really feel like it you could download an application called mac janitor it induces mac os x's schedualed tasks that you may have missed in sleep or if your mac is turned off

also as your new to macs it is a good idea to leave you powerbook on all the time and just use slepp by closeing the lid and opening it when you want to it's allot better than starting up and shutting down