Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
So it all started when I was looking at a Roku player for Netflix streaming, and realized for an extra $50 I could get a Blu-Ray player that does the same thing, plus replaces my broken DVD player (saving me $40) and of course plays Blu-Ray discs if I ever want to.

Then I started looking at the PS3 which can do all of that, plus streams my nearly 400 ripped DVDs, effectively giving me a second AppleTV for the other room (no more moving the ATV up and down stairs anymore, yay!) for a little over $100 more - which is less than getting another AppleTV. Oh and it plays games, which I like when I have time. So I think I will be picking one up after this holiday season wraps up.

I haven't played any games in over 2 years, and it was Wii before that, so lets just say I've never played a PS3 and I haven't played any cross-platform games that were released after the PS3 was. I expect by this time there should be a pretty decent selection of older games that I can pick up fairly cheap... what are your recommendations?

I tend to distrust game reviewers, but the titles I've read good things about in my little looking are Modern Warfare (1 and 2, but 1 is down to the $30 range now, so might as well start there) and Assassin's Creed (again, 1 being the budget option at this point). My gaming time is pretty limited these days, so I'd like to stick to games which

-aren't too long (say 20 hours max, but 10-12 being good)
-can be played with week long plus gaps between sessions (so nothing where it is hard to figure out what you are supposed to be doing when you get back to it - I love and hate Zelda games for this reason)
-cheap ($30 and under, used is OK)
-split screen co-op is a plus, as is online play which allows me to jump in for an hour and have a quick bit of fun.
-I like shooters, both FPS and 3rd person action type games, light puzzling, action-RPGs which are to the point and don't run on for 60 hours (Fable was pretty fun, for example)... but I'm open to suggestions.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
inFamous and Little Big Planet come to mind. Both can be played in long or short sessions, both replayable and fun.

diddy

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a Greatest Hits title, and you can find it for less than $30. It's FANTASTIC, and probably right up your alley.

Also want to recommend inFamous. Maybe the most fun I had gaming all year.

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
Metal Gear solid 4 - Sort of long due to lots of videos, but there are lots of save points and easy to pick up and play.

Uncharted Drakes fortune 1 (or 2 if you can find used for cheap)

Gran turismo prologue

Assassins creed

StruckANerve

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2008
Rio Rancho, NM
Bioshock = 19.99
Assassins Creed = 19.99
GTA 4 = 29.99
Street Fighter 4 = 29.99
Resistance = 29.99
Sega Genesis Collection = 19.99

And some games will be even cheaper if you shop on Amazon. Fallout 3 is 28.79 right now brand new.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
im in the same boat. im just waiting for decent bundle that I dont have to get up at 3am to get.

if you dont have that much time to play gamefly may be the best option. rent a game. keep it as long as you want. return it when your done. same price.

spyker3292

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2005
Michigan
im in the same boat. im just waiting for decent bundle that I dont have to get up at 3am to get.

Could have just gotten the Killzone 2/Infamous Amazon bundle on black friday... Or did that sell out quickly too? I don't know, I went with a friend to get him the Best Buy (Ratchet: ACiT, LBP GOTY) bundle at 4am. That was fun :p.

NewbieNerd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2005
Chicago, IL
You should definitely pick up Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction, which can be had for cheap cheap now. Beautiful run-around-blow-stuff-up-and-watch-the-bolts-fly fun that is also really conducive to the extended no-play periods you mentioned. Plus, if you love it, it's got great replay value (hard mode, collectibles for a super-weapon), and there are already 2 (or 1.5, the middle one is short) sequels you can go for when you're done!

Just my 2 cents.

Nuck81

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2009
Western Kentucky
A lot of the PSN games are great. And most can be found for ten dollars or under.

I really recommend getting Flower which is on sale for Five dollars at the PSN store. My GF HATES video games but she kicks me off the PS3 to play it and it's just as fun to watch someone play.

Here is a funny review of Flower But it's starts out with a pretty honest rant at the price of Video Games. Mild language Warning...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Awesome, appreciate the recommendations. Watched an inFamous video review and it's certainly unique looking, will certainly check it out. Resistance looks like a pretty interesting shooter, too, though I'd never heard of it before now, so thanks for those.

I remember Ratchet and Clank from the N64 days, it seems like... was that a game for the N64 or am I thinking of something else?

I love the idea of Fallout 3... but I can't bring myself to devote that sort of time to a game. Too much other stuff to do! Read a little about MGS4 and died a bit inside after seeing 20-30+ minute cutscenes mentioned. If I wanted a movie I would just watch a movie. :(

Gamefly seems like it would be a ripoff of me. $16 a month or just buy a cheap game every other month for the same money, but get to keep the game (or resell it) and rotate them around for variety...

if you dont have that much time to play gamefly may be the best option. rent a game. keep it as long as you want. return it when your done. same price.

You can get a PS3 slim 120gb for MSRP plus Uncharted and inFAMOUS right from Sony for $300 if you order before 12/5 (though it's backordered for a couple weeks atm). I'd jump on it if I had the cash right this second, but waiting until after xmas for that reason - mainly wanted to be sure that there were enough games for <$30 for it to make sense to get a PS3 and just not jump on one of the Netflix ready BluRay players that are on sale now.

happydudeca

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Canada
I love the idea of Fallout 3... but I can't bring myself to devote that sort of time to a game. Too much other stuff to do!

The nice thing about Fallout 3 is that if you only complete the main quest the game can be over in a matter of hours. Once you play it through once I expect in 5 hours you can beat the game again. If you want, however, there are hours and hours worth of side quests and exploration to do which add the to the game experience but are not technically required to beat the game. You can put in as much time as you want.

Now that the game of the year edition is out you can probably find it at a cheaper price.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
The nice thing about Fallout 3 is that if you only complete the main quest the game can be over in a matter of hours. Once you play it through once I expect in 5 hours you can beat the game again. If you want, however, there are hours and hours worth of side quests and exploration to do which add the to the game experience but are not technically required to beat the game. You can put in as much time as you want.

Now that the game of the year edition is out you can probably find it at a cheaper price.

That's interesting... I will have to keep it in mind and if I see a good deal pick it up to try out.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
My recommendations:

Assassin's Creed: $20
Uncharted: $20-$30
Burnout Paradise: $20
GTA 4: $20-$30

I just picked up Resistance 2 at Target in the clearance area for $15. Should be a fun run 'n' gun game.

happydudeca

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2007
Canada
Be wary of your time requirement when it comes to Fallout 3... I have clocked over 100 hours...

But you're probably doing all the side quests and exploring as much as you can. Like I said before, in 10 hours you can easily start and finish the main quest. You won't get nearly as much out of the game but it can be done. If you want to put the time in you can, if not, no big deal.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
Thanks again for the suggestions... wanted to mention I had a chance to play Guitar Hero 3 at a friend's place and surprised no one mentioned it as a good budget game - $38 at Amazon with wireless guitar, and it's actually quite entertaining. :p

Also, is there any reason NOT to get a "fat"/3rd gen PS3 over the slim, assuming I can save $50-70? The "refurb"/used 40/80gb PS3s from Gamestop are $230/250 respectively so represent what seems to be a pretty decent deal. Note, I'm unconcerned about noise, the unit will be in an AV equipment rack/closet far enough from me to make no appreciable impact on me. Any other concerns I should have about an older model?

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'd highly recommend Uncharted 1 (2 is excellent too but is full priceish still). The Uncharted series thus far is hands down one of the best put together games I've seen on any platform. The visuals, the voice acting, the character animations... it's just very well put together. I played the first one through 3 times and am on my 2nd play through of the sequel.

resom

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2009
Louisiana
Also, is there any reason NOT to get a "fat"/3rd gen PS3 over the slim, assuming I can save $50-70? The "refurb"/used 40/80gb PS3s from Gamestop are $230/250 respectively so represent what seems to be a pretty decent deal. Note, I'm unconcerned about noise, the unit will be in an AV equipment rack/closet far enough from me to make no appreciable impact on me. Any other concerns I should have about an older model?

I have both the 60g and 80g ps3s and they both work great. If you don't need the extra space then I would get an older version to save money.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008

One thing to be mindful of is that some older versions have their advantages over both the Slim and their older brethren.

My PS3 which is about 1.5 years old is backwards compatible, so you can play PS2 games (which can be as low as $5 each used). Mine also has 4 USB ports instead of 2, so if you get Guitar Hero or an Eyecam, you won't run out of ports.

However I know the Slim is supposedly more energy conscious, which is nice, since sometimes I feel like my PS3 can heat an entire room!

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
One thing to be mindful of is that some older versions have their advantages over both the Slim and their older brethren.

My PS3 which is about 1.5 years old is backwards compatible, so you can play PS2 games (which can be as low as $5 each used). Mine also has 4 USB ports instead of 2, so if you get Guitar Hero or an Eyecam, you won't run out of ports.

However I know the Slim is supposedly more energy conscious, which is nice, since sometimes I feel like my PS3 can heat an entire room!

Ya, I read about the older backwards compatible models, but unfortunately they seem pretty hard to come by and expensive. While I would LIKE that option (never had a PS2 so there's tons of games for it I never played) I wouldn't be willing to pay more for it (used PS2's are pretty cheap these days).

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
^I would just go for the slim instead of trying to track down a BC PS3 which could be susceptible to YLOD and price hike-up. The slim consumes less power and I haven't heard of any cases of YLOD with the slim.

The thread posters already mention some excellent retail games but I got point out the great games on PSN which included Flower, Pixel Junk Series and some great PS1 classics.

Bless

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I have played these on the Xbox, but they also have PS3 versions (and have not been listed as far as I saw during my quick scan):

Dead Space ($20 normal $15 at best buy starting tomorrow)
Mirror's Edge (FPS platforming, short but good, $20 or $15 same as above)
The Orange Box (5 games in one, including the outstanding Portal)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.