Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bnewport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
I have a late 2008 MacBook (5,1). I have a mini displayport to single link DVI connector which allows me to hook it up to my 47" LCD screen using a HDMI adapter in my house and I get 1920x1080p on the external screen. However, I have an Apple Cinema 30 in the office and cannot get better than 1280x800 on it, lid open or closed, booted with lid closed, doesn't matter. Any ideas? Do you need a dual link cable for the 30? I don't see why as the 47" at home displays 1080p just fine with this cable.

SilentPanda

Moderator emeritus
Oct 8, 2002
The Bamboo Forest
I'm partly guessing but a dual link cable offers 2560x1600. Which is exactly twice what resolution you're able to get on your single link. The guess is that each "link" on the 30" monitor is only able to take in 1280x800. So in this case the monitor is the issue and not so much the computer. Your computer can display higher, it's just each "link" is only capable of receiving half the monitors max resolution.

bnewport

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
But, the mdp to DVI cable does 1080p on my LCD TV so single link can do it. It looks to me like the Apple Cinema display cannot do 1080p using a single link cable or something which looks a monitor issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.