PDA

View Full Version : typing skills test: WPM

jxyama
Aug 4, 2004, 05:27 PM
just for fun...

http://www.typingtest.com/

i got 76 WPM net (77 WPM with one word wrong) with the Finland text.

i am using qwerty keyboard. i'd be curious to see if we can have people post who use dvorak. (or others)

i could have typed faster if i tried to (but would have made more mistakes) - but i will admit to trying a bit. :)

p.s. let's not get too macho over this, ok? :D

Kingsnapped
Aug 4, 2004, 05:34 PM
Woo.... 60 wpm with my Powerbook on my lap.

I'm gonna get lots of girls in school...

jxyama
Aug 4, 2004, 05:35 PM
Woo.... 60 wpm with my Powerbook on my lap.

I'm gonna get lots of girls in school...

oh, i was using an apple pro keyboard. i wonder if i'll see something different on my PB keyboard..?

musicpyrite
Aug 4, 2004, 06:03 PM
I've never been much of a typist.

I did the thing about the Tiger.

Apple Keyboard (wired)

Edit: just took the test again, with the Huckly Berry Fin thing, and got 52.

mj_1903
Aug 4, 2004, 06:50 PM
I get around 78 on my PowerBook and around 72 on my Apple Pro with accuracy higher on my PowerBook. Strange though, it feels like I type better on my Apple Pro...

King Cobra
Aug 4, 2004, 07:06 PM
Mozilla and Internet Exploder couldn't load the test. I had to use Safari for it to work.

All right. I have a positive and negative reaction to the test.

The positive is: I thought I typed at 20 to 30WPM, because I rarely did better than that the last official time I checked, which was 7 years ago. Also, I can't do home row typing, so I expected that I would still get 20 to 30WPM. But, no. I got 73WPM. That's scary...

The negative is: I got jipped. One of the words I had to spell was this (http://andrej.gadgetgaming.com/texts/wpm/oneword.txt), and I spelt that exactly correct (and I checked to be sure while I kept typing, since the "mistake" was highlighted), so my accuracy should have been 100%. I feel and know it was, so there.

Oh, and I used my TI-89 to take the test, no only kidding... used my killer black Apple Pro Keyboard.

Daveman Deluxe
Aug 4, 2004, 07:27 PM
122 wpm with 98% accuracy.

cslewis
Aug 4, 2004, 07:57 PM
I am such a bad typist- I only got 58.... :p

Roger1
Aug 4, 2004, 08:19 PM
I did 41 wpm, with 4 mistakes. Of course I'm using my powerbook on my lap, and my hands are stiff, because I was painting for a couple of hours this afternoon. :)

Apple Hobo
Aug 4, 2004, 08:25 PM
I usually score 50 WPM +/- 10-15 WPM depending on the type test and how my energy and focus levels are.

virividox
Aug 4, 2004, 08:28 PM
68 with 100%

noel4r
Aug 4, 2004, 08:34 PM
81 wpm, missed four words. I think I could've done better though.

knicksfan58
Aug 4, 2004, 08:38 PM

jared_kipe
Aug 4, 2004, 09:31 PM
Aw man, they try to mess the heck out of you with commas and semi colons. First time through was Huck Finn with a grand total of 72WPM. Second was Fishing in finland with 89WPM.

wordmunger
Aug 4, 2004, 09:43 PM
You guys are good. 68 with both Finland and Huck Finn.

Chaszmyr
Aug 4, 2004, 10:00 PM
82wpm 96% accuracy my first try on the Finland text, I've done this same test in the past though and gotten in the 90s for wpm

Doctor Q
Aug 4, 2004, 10:00 PM
My first try, with the Tigers in the Wild text (the choice of any true Mac fan). Now who is going to pay to repair these scorch marks on my keyboard?

acceber
Aug 4, 2004, 11:05 PM
102 wpm
88% accuracy.

I guess I'm lazy and I don't capitalise my words expecting that it would automatically do it for me. :)

MacFan26
Aug 4, 2004, 11:54 PM
not too bad I suppose for sitting at my laptop slouching :) :rolleyes:

Edit: oops, didn't mean to put it as a pdf

oldschool
Aug 5, 2004, 01:14 AM
highest score so far

:D

Doctor Q
Aug 5, 2004, 01:25 AM
highest score so farAmazing! Can you teach us your technique, oldschool, or would it be too hard for us to understand? ;)

AmigoMac
Aug 5, 2004, 05:54 AM
i gto 52 wmp wiht 10% accracusy , I do realyl nede to imporve ... :p

J/K ... 58 WPM and 96% ... but i do need to get better, thanks for the link :)

Anyway I really think is because my jobs has to do more with the mouse,
I don't type that long at work, maybe 52 words / day ...

Abstract
Aug 5, 2004, 06:42 AM
I type around 60 wpm with 100% accuracy. I always have within 2 or 3 wpm, so I won't do it. I'm also using Mozilla right now, and couldn't be arsed. ;)

Anyway, one time I was trying to find a job through a job agency in London (like many people do), and they made me take a typing test. Now the thing is that after the end of a sentence, I normally put 2 spaces between the period and the start of the next sentence. In England, it's only one space between sentences. Anyway, I scored around 32 wpm with 4% errors or something like that because I was so worried about ending sentences and beginning new ones. :p

ScotRobson
Aug 5, 2004, 10:12 AM
I type around 60 wpm with 100% accuracy. I always have within 2 or 3 wpm, so I won't do it. I'm also using Mozilla right now, and couldn't be arsed. ;)

Anyway, one time I was trying to find a job through a job agency in London (like many people do), and they made me take a typing test. Now the thing is that after the end of a sentence, I normally put 2 spaces between the period and the start of the next sentence. In England, it's only one space between sentences. Anyway, I scored around 32 wpm with 4% errors or something like that because I was so worried about ending sentences and beginning new ones. :p

I'm in England and was taught at school to leave 2 spaces and still do to this day.

Doctor Q
Aug 5, 2004, 11:33 AM
I learned to use two spaces between sentences and I still do. I have a friend with whom I have had only two disagreements over the years: (1) I use two spaces; he uses one. (2) I say "PC" to mean an Intel computer; he says "PC" to mean "personal computer" and therefore considers Macs to be PCs too. I'm sticking with my opinion on both of these issues of huge importance to life as we know it.

18thTomorrow
Aug 5, 2004, 12:11 PM
83 WPM (net speed) on my iBook keyboard...shall I try and see how I fare if I plug in the apple pro keyboard?
Nah...too lazy...

rock6079
Aug 5, 2004, 12:27 PM
I learned to use two spaces between sentences and I still do. I have a friend with whom I have had only two disagreements over the years: (1) I use two spaces; he uses one. (2) I say "PC" to mean an Intel computer; he says "PC" to mean "personal computer" and therefore considers Macs to be PCs too. I'm sticking with my opinion on both of these issues of huge importance to life as we know it.

go read the book "The Mac Is Not a Typewriter (http://beta.peachpit.com/books/catalog/48430.html)" by robin williams that should cover your first point lol. (unfortunately it proves you wrong)

krimson
Aug 5, 2004, 12:52 PM
im a horrible typist..

48wpm with 58 errors ;D

Doctor Q
Aug 5, 2004, 01:40 PM
go read the book "The Mac Is Not a Typewriter (http://beta.peachpit.com/books/catalog/48430.html)" by robin williamsThanks! Maybe it will explain why the carriage doesn't return when I press the "carriage return" key on my Mac!

goodwill
Aug 5, 2004, 01:45 PM
haha- i cant even begin to tell you how much time i spent at this site- classic! i thought i was honestly fast, but its was nothing in comparison to other achievers scores.

friarbayliff
Aug 5, 2004, 02:20 PM
I got 65 wpm with 89% accuracy...I also need to improve

mkaake
Aug 5, 2004, 02:57 PM
that was sweet. i was at about 87 wpm raw, but i got killed because of my lacidasical punctuation (capitalization, anyone?).

very fun though...

Hemingray
Aug 5, 2004, 06:28 PM
Eh... I can do better, but not while at work. People around here'll get suspicious if I type that fast for too long... :rolleyes:

rainman::|:|
Aug 5, 2004, 07:06 PM
i got 80wpm with 95%, while in a dayquil trance at work. i want to try clearheaded to see if i do better.

kind of pisses me off, because according to traditional rules, compass directions are capitalized... which they weren't in the test. So that threw me.

and yeah, single spacing is appropriate on computers... i do it too, as i'm doing in this post... i learned to type with two spaces instead of one. But thanks to proportional character spacing, double spacing between sentences is a relic now.

paul

King Cobra
Aug 5, 2004, 07:16 PM
i got 80wpm with 95%, while in a dayquil trance at work. i want to try clearheaded to see if i do better.
I think Dayquil has a lot of alcohol in it in terms of percent content... so that explains it. http://www.thetechpub.com/phpBB2/images/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Littleodie914
Aug 5, 2004, 07:50 PM
Hmm... I can't seem to get this to work. The pop-up window works, then it just sits there with the grey screen and the little coffee mug in the upper left corner... Any ideas? I've never had this happen before...

Littleodie914
Aug 5, 2004, 07:52 PM
Update... The coffe mug just turned into a red X. :eek:

King Cobra
Aug 5, 2004, 07:56 PM
Try using Safari. That's what worked for me (as I already said in my first post in the thread).

If that doesn't work, try using FireFox (if you don't mind beta browsers).

Littleodie914
Aug 5, 2004, 08:34 PM
Yea, I've actually tried it on all the browsers I have on my system... Camino, Firefox, Safari, and even Exploder... No go! :eek:

evilgEEk
Aug 5, 2004, 10:18 PM
Yea, I've actually tried it on all the browsers I have on my system... Camino, Firefox, Safari, and even Exploder... No go! :eek:

The site must be down. I was able to access it earlier, but right now it's a no-go.

Anyway...

90 WPM
98% accuracy
Huck Fin test

Bah, I should have done better but I found myself continually attempting to fix the grammar issues. Didn't try the others, do they use better grammar? Although I guess that's part of the test, eh? :rolleyes:

EDIT: Just tried the site again and it worked...

Neserk
Aug 6, 2004, 12:26 AM
62 wpm, 3 errors, 95% accuracy for 59 wpm.

I got super nervous and I'm tired. Maybe I"ll try again and see if I can do better later :D

Nermal
Aug 7, 2004, 06:27 AM
I got 55 net. I know I can do better than that, I was rushing and therefore made a lot of mistakes. My typing right now as I type this reply is a lot better! :)

Edit: Got 63 in my second attempt, while trying not to rush through it :)

homerjward
Aug 8, 2004, 11:46 PM
63 wpm with 3 errors and 95% accuracy on finland. i didnt finish huck finn but it was around 54 wpm

homerjward
Aug 8, 2004, 11:50 PM
btw it works fine for me in firefox 0.9 for windows.

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 8, 2005, 11:30 PM
In the one minute test I got 30wpm. Keep in mind not really trying, and I am a bit tired from work. Much better than I thought though. Will have try a longer test in the future.

SpaceMagic
Jul 9, 2005, 07:51 AM
Very first attempt NET 71 WPM. Quite shocked wanted it to be more, is 71 any good?

It all depends with me and typing, if i know what I want to say like now, I can write really quickly, when I have to read and write it slows down (it appears, to 71wpm).

Oh well... cool test.

wordmunger
Jul 9, 2005, 08:57 AM
Very first attempt NET 71 WPM. Quite shocked wanted it to be more, is 71 any good?

It all depends with me and typing, if i know what I want to say like now, I can write really quickly, when I have to read and write it slows down (it appears, to 71wpm).

Oh well... cool test.

Well, it's apparently not very good compared to the folks around here. I just now got 65 net, though, so you're better than me. I seem to remember applying for jobs with a minimum of 55 WPM, so you're certainly fine for that.

mj_1903
Jul 9, 2005, 09:55 AM
In the one minute test I got 30wpm. Keep in mind not really trying, and I am a bit tired from work. Much better than I thought though. Will have try a longer test in the future.

Wow, way to resurrect an old thread. ;)

For kicks I did the test again. 92 wpm on my Apple Pro and 85 on my PowerBook. Interesting how times have changed.

Royal Pineapple
Jul 9, 2005, 11:19 AM
65 with broken right arm

ham_man
Jul 9, 2005, 11:36 AM
This makes me feel inferior... :o

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 9, 2005, 06:16 PM
Wow, way to resurrect an old thread. ;)

For kicks I did the test again. 92 wpm on my Apple Pro and 85 on my PowerBook. Interesting how times have changed.

LOL

Was directed to this thread from a more recent thread. Thought it was fun...

eva01
Jul 9, 2005, 06:31 PM
Got 76 WPM, thought i did better than that :/

nospleen
Jul 9, 2005, 06:41 PM
My first try, with the Tigers in the Wild text (the choice of any true Mac fan). Now who is going to pay to repair these scorch marks on my keyboard?

Photoshop!!!!!!! J/K!

OryHara
Jul 9, 2005, 07:47 PM
Mozilla and Internet Exploder couldn't load the test. I had to use Safari for it to work.

you "had" to use sarari? and why would you use ie in the first place? :eek: / :p

oh, 72wpm 95%

wrc fan
Jul 9, 2005, 08:49 PM
I don't like these tests, cause it's not just testing your typing speed but also your ability to read and notice subtle things such as semi-colons and commas... anyway, this is what I got:

stubeeef
Jul 9, 2005, 09:36 PM
I'm a typing rock, only got 43. :o

Chip NoVaMac
Jul 9, 2005, 09:44 PM
I'm a typing rock, only got 43. :o

Better than me....