PDA

View Full Version : G5 iMac won't power up. I've got internal LEDs.

bagelche
Dec 1, 2009, 08:56 PM
I have a G5 20" iMac model A1076 which will not power up. We had power outages this weekend from intense winds.

I tried resetting the SMU and other various external things to absolutely no effect. I tried using this apple support guide (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2173). I removed the rear cover. When plugging it in, LED 1 lights up and LED 2 begins flashing slowly--even before I try restarting the computer from the internal power switch. I try that switch as well as the internal SMU switch. No change. still LED 1 is lit up and LED 2 flashes.

Does this indicate that a new power supply should resolve the problem? Are there other steps I should try before buying a new PS somewhere online?

thanks.

BullyWoolly
Dec 2, 2009, 01:27 AM
That's the way the kb article reads to me. I think it's the logical next step...

olsonr50
Jan 25, 2010, 06:59 PM
I gifted my wife's iMac G5 to our son a month ago after I bought her an iMac 27". Now the old machine has almost exactly the same symptoms you described. The difference is that LED 2 does not light. Did a new power supply fix your machine?

Thanks,