Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I have quite a few DVDs that I would like to convert to AVI. I do a fair bit of travelling about and its a whole lot easier to drop AVI files onto my Macbook rather than carry a load of DVDs about, plus it will allow me to change them on a regular basis.

What I am looking at, is a quick easy method of converting my DVDs to AVI files. I don't mind paying for software if it works. I have looked at imedia from iskysoft but wondered if there is a one stop shop program that will allow easy conversion.

I also have an iphone so it would be nice to have the facility to convert to be able to add them to my iphone if required.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
I am going to assume that those DVDs are "Home Videos" that you want to back up and not feature films because that would be against the law. Handbrake is the easiest and cheapest way to do this. Now alone Handbrake won't rip DVDs with copy protection but the cool thing is that if you have VLC install it will use its libraries for decryption and rip them just fine. Handbrake has presets for all different types of file formats but you can also customize every setting. I would recommend using H.264 instead of AVI because you will get much better quality at the same file size and H.264 MP4s are compatible with pretty much everything now.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
Handbrake can rip dvds if you have vlc installed

handbrake doesnt rip, it encodes a dvd to a file. it also has the ability to encode a file into another format as well

meanwhile, mactheripper rips the dvd data for data

the two programs do not achieve the same purpose

think of handbrake as itunes converting a cd to aac and mactheripper as lossless in a sense

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I just presumed that avi was the best format. I do like the simpler software to be honest. Handbrake and all the settings look rather complex for my knowledge. ?

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Handbrake isnt too bad. Know that half the buttons dont need to be bothered with. Pick a format, choose what quality, and rip.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
handbrake doesnt rip, it encodes a dvd to a file. it also has the ability to encode a file into another format as well

meanwhile, mactheripper rips the dvd data for data

the two programs do not achieve the same purpose

think of handbrake as itunes converting a cd to aac and mactheripper as lossless in a sense

As I said before, Handbrake has the ability to decrypt DVDs if you have VLC installed.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
As I said before, Handbrake has the ability to decrypt DVDs if you have VLC installed.

lol

handbrake is an encoding app. yes it can encode straight from a dvd to a file. it cannot rip the disk though

mtr does no encoding and gives a pure rip

trust me or research it more yourself

btw, you cant even use hb without vlc installed anymore since like 2 revisions ago

NoSmokingBandit

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2008
Tbh, i dont see the point of MTR unless i am missing something. All it does is copy the files to your hdd. I can copy *_TS folders with Finder.

zachsilvey

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2008
Battle Ground
lol

handbrake is an encoding app. yes it can encode straight from a dvd to a file. it cannot rip the disk though

mtr does no encoding and gives a pure rip

trust me or research it more yourself

btw, you cant even use hb without vlc installed anymore since like 2 revisions ago

My mistake, you are correct on this. Not many people just want a straight rip of a dvd so I tend to over simplify things.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
http://www.metakine.com/products/fairmount/
I use that to break encryption. It works really well and doesnt get in my way. MTR just seems weird to me. The interface makes it look more complicated than it really is.
But in the end both work so who cares? ;)

i use that too more than mtr as mtr is kinda flaky these days

however, it still wont rip my 310 to Yuma disck or dark knight:(

Pyrotechnic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 28, 2009
United Kingdom
OK, I am a little confused now.

Yes, many are home movie DVDS. I have also bough a Media Hard Drive which I can plug into the TV.

So really all I need is some software, to enable me to create a file such as an AVI to dump on either my MacBook or my Media Hard Drive.

Will Handbrake simple convert them to a more suitable file, if so which is the best one to go for.

Please note I am a relative novice at this ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.