Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CystmAddict

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 2, 2009
Ok everyone, I know that the whole classic environment not supported thing is due to Mac OSx no longer supporting the type of executable variables that Mac OS 9 used. But I feel like there should be a simple workaround in my case that doesn't involve loading emulations or anything of that sort.

Here is the deal. I work at a hospital and of course everyone uses Macbooks. Go figure. They all want to use the Mosby's Veterinary Technician Review CD that came with their book to do the practice quizzes for their certification exams. The creator of the CD has not bothered to recompile their crap for years despite coming out with new editions of the textbook as recently as 2004-2007.

The CD is literally just an executable file that runs a Macromedia flash program. I am running a PC at home and would like to deal with this without having to mess around with each and every Macbook in the hospital. So I have tried installing it on my PC and extracting the Flash from the EXE but most programs I can get a hold of say that it does not contain an actual flash director file or SWF or something similar.

What am I missing here? It says it is made with Macromedia and was designed for the Mac OS 9.

Can anyone help with a workaround?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.