Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pighuddle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
How do I transfer the data from the internal slave ATA on on my G4 to my new G5. When I set the G4 to target-mode the main drive shows up on my G5 desktop but I don't see the slave ATA partitions. Is there any way other than Ethernet to get at that drive?

-thanks

varmit

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2003
why don't you just connect them

pighuddle said:
How do I transfer the data from the internal slave ATA on on my G4 to my new G5. When I set the G4 to target-mode the main drive shows up on my G5 desktop but I don't see the slave ATA partitions. Is there any way other than Ethernet to get at that drive?

-thanks

Connect them via network cable, or just move the files to the main harddrive so that you can retrieve them in target mode.

Or, crack open the old Mac, connect the slave drive as the master by using the cable that is used by the master drive, and do target mode again, I'm guessing this will work. (might need to change jumpers to master too)

pighuddle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
varmit said:
Connect them via network cable, or just move the files to the main harddrive so that you can retrieve them in target mode.

Or, crack open the old Mac, connect the slave drive as the master by using the cable that is used by the master drive, and do target mode again, I'm guessing this will work. (might need to change jumpers to master too)

Thanks!

What's a network cable? CAT5?

...but that alternate master-slave switcheroo will work too I bet.

pighuddle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 26, 2003
Jo-Kun said:
you never had the idea of running the G5 in target mode and putting the files on in it that order...??

Yes it did, right after I had already transfered to a FW drive and then into the new G5. Your idea of course, would be the simplest way to do this. ...Oh well, next time.

Thanks

Jo-Kun

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2003
Antwerp-Belgium
pighuddle said:
Yes it did, right after I had already transfered to a FW drive and then into the new G5. Your idea of course, would be the simplest way to do this. ...Oh well, next time.

Thanks

one advice: try to think about the bloody obvious and simple things first... it saves a lot of trouble but we forget about easy solutions so fast (you don't want to know what tricks I used to pull to get something done and then realise: duh?? that would be simple and do the same...)

well we're only human ;-)

J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.