Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

illibball087

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 27, 2009
i am looking to get the 7th gen ipod classic and am wondering if there is any differences between the 7th gen and 6th gen in terms of build quality, reliability, etc...

justaregularjoe

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2008
No changes at all, still the same great product. I think Genius Playlists may be new, but I don't use them ever so, whatever.

And I recommend it over the touch.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2009
I don't own the most recent iPod, but I did have a 5G iPod and a first-gen Classic, and a relative has the 5G still going strong (even though he's been rough on it) and my Classic has survived a couple of drops, one onto concrete.

My iPhone 3G from last year is still going strong as well.

So while I don't own the most recent classic, I've had no problem with the iPods. My first-gen iPhone did have a strip of the screen go dead... about a half-centimeter strip horizontally in the upper third of the screen. I phoned Apple, they overnighted me a box, I overnighted it back to them, I had a new (or refurb) phone back in less than 7 days when all was said and done. So their customer service is tops.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
i so want a new classic, but refuse to buy one until they fix the compilation bug.

I wish there was a flash classic, or that they'd fix the audiobook bug. My 5G's getting full and I want an iPod that can play audiobooks properly (I have to use my iPhone, my hard drive based iPods skip back to the beginning of audiobooks :mad:)

I want a Classic, not a touch :( And a nano's way too small.

instaxgirl

macrumors 65816
Mar 11, 2009
Edinburgh, UK
Have there really been an significant changes since version 5? I have been thinking about upgrading but there doesn't really seem to any reason to.

I've got a 5G too. Since I've got about a gig free on the hard drive I've been thinking about buying a Classic but I'm just put off. Half the time I only ever hear bad things about it - that it's slow being the worst complaint. But it also seems like a bit of a rip off to me seeing as Apple have done f- all to it for 2 years.

I've actually just ordered another hard drive for my 5G because the Classic, even with its huge storage, just felt like a rip off. Apart from a few interface tweaks all that's actually changed is the storage size and I don't need 160GB.

Oh and the battery life's better, but I'm sticking a new battery in mine too :p

I'd have bought one for 150/160 quid. But at almost £200 for a nicer screen (which I could also replace) and an aluminium front plate it just seemed stupid. I'll probably just keep going with the 5G until the nano reaches a decent storage capacity, since it's getting all the bells and whistles.

Jackintosh

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2009
As good as the Classic may be, I'd rather save up and go with the Touch. Old disc technology is being superseded by flash memory, where reliability, speed, and future proofing are the key factors. I know it's way more expensive, but just my opinion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.