PDA

View Full Version : Bunch of iPod newbie q's

hkriffraff
Aug 5, 2004, 02:33 AM
I just got my first ever iPod (4G 20GB), and aside from being generally happy with it, have a few issues. Probably itís due to my ignorance,
so does anyone have tips for the following?

- I realize I need to rate every song to filter out the stuff I donít want to listen to too often. But the rating screen on the iPod often shifts back to the regular song progress display while Iím still trying to scroll to to the right star count Ė itís maddening!. Is there any setting to get it to stay on the rating screen, or at least allow more time?

- My iPod has already frozen twice in the 24 hours Iíve had it (while clicking around through a playlist). The manual advises users to connect to a power adaptor and go through a toggle/button routine. If itís going to freeze up that often, isnít there a way to reset it while on the go?

- Sometimes when Iím shuffling music, I get a song and would like to hear more from the same artist/album/genre. Is there a shortcut for this?

- On iTunes, is there a way to select multiple songs and set the same star count/genre for them all in one go?

- Last night, I hooked up my iPod to some computer speakers and set the sleep timer. For some reason, the music would pause by itself every now and then. No such problem when I went back to earphones. Any idea why?

OSX Panther
Aug 5, 2004, 04:39 AM
I just got my first ever iPod (4G 20GB), and aside from being generally happy with it, have a few issues. Probably itís due to my ignorance,
so does anyone have tips for the following?

- I realize I need to rate every song to filter out the stuff I donít want to listen to too often. But the rating screen on the iPod often shifts back to the regular song progress display while Iím still trying to scroll to to the right star count Ė itís maddening!. Is there any setting to get it to stay on the rating screen, or at least allow more time?

- My iPod has already frozen twice in the 24 hours Iíve had it (while clicking around through a playlist). The manual advises users to connect to a power adaptor and go through a toggle/button routine. If itís going to freeze up that often, isnít there a way to reset it while on the go?

- Sometimes when Iím shuffling music, I get a song and would like to hear more from the same artist/album/genre. Is there a shortcut for this?

- On iTunes, is there a way to select multiple songs and set the same star count/genre for them all in one go?

- Last night, I hooked up my iPod to some computer speakers and set the sleep timer. For some reason, the music would pause by itself every now and then. No such problem when I went back to earphones. Any idea why?

Ok, first one there is nothing you can do here, exept using iTunes to rate songs.

second one, in the manual it says that you have to connect the iPod to the power network, but you can try to reset it without connetcting it.

How to listen to songs from one artist/album. thats a easy one. all you got to do is to go to the main screen and press "navigation" there you can shuffle trough artist albums +++

select multiple songs on iTunes, all you need to do is tho mark one of the songs, and the hold the command key and mark the rest of the songs, then press command "i" en change it from there...

why it paused, i dont really know. My only answer is that you must have touched the buttons in some weird ways.

I hope these answers helps, and have fun with your iPod.
:) :) :)

jtgotsjets
Aug 5, 2004, 03:09 PM
I'd say that the freezes are largely due to the new firmware on the 4G iPods. My friend got a mini, and he experienced crashes for awhile till he was able to update his iPod.

Sogo
Aug 6, 2004, 01:50 PM
Hey I just got my new iPod as well. When i installed the software, it asked me if i wanted to update or restore the the ipod. I being excited, I also got my 15" pb, i clicked restore. Now it has been quiet some time and the iPod says "do not disconnect." Now when I told it to restore, is it reformating or what? i would say its been a good hour that it has been like that.