Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adwebinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
I have had to change computers a few times over the last several months and seem to have combined my old itunes library file with a new scan of my backed up music. So, i now every song in my library is duplicated, but one has the exclamation mark next to it :mad:. I know why and how it happened. The good news is that i know i have all my music from the back up file. the bad news is, to clean it up, I would have to go song by song to delete the dead link songs.

I'm looking for any suggestions on how to speed up the process as I have over 60GB of music. It would be a 5 minute fix if i could simply sort on that first column and select all exclamation mark files and delete. Also, i prefer not to add on third party software to itunes because I've had bad luck with that in the past.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Delete everything from your library and be sure to click "Keep Files". Then re-import everything. Done!

adwebinc

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Won't i lose all my playlists though? I know it sounds silly, but i have dozens of playlists that have sentimental value and it would take me hours to recreate those.

thanks for the fast reply!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.