Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Hi all,

I am looking for a simple productivity tool that would log the time an application is active.

As an example, it would would works as such:

I open a Word Document at 12:21:12. At 12:23:21 I switch over to Mail. Then at 12:28:42 I switch back to Word. At 12:88:32 I call it quits for the day and sleep my mac.

The next day I open a spreadsheet/program or other utility and see a list of how many hours/minutes/seconds I used each program the day before.

I need this because I am spending a lot of my day writing in Celtx but also do a lot of research in Safari and write a lot of messages in mail. It would be brilliant if I could look at a simple list of time spent in each application at the next day and see "aha! I spend 2 hours, 13 minutes in Celtx yesterday, but only 20 minutes in Safari and 12 minutes in Mail. It was a productive day!"

I guess the question is: Is there such a tool?

The closest thing I have found is a tool aptly named Application Usage 1.1 that logs start and quit times of applications.
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/25407

This tool, however, does not note if an application was actually the front most one, ie. if it was actively used, but only if it was open or not.

Any help on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just because an app is the active window, doesn't mean it's being used. You could open a spreadsheet and then walk away from the computer for 4 hours. That doesn't mean you actively worked on a spreadsheet for 4 hours. There's no way to know if you're working in an app or not, since you could spend hours reading a document without clicking anything.

sebimeyer

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2002
Just because an app is the active window, doesn't mean it's being used. You could open a spreadsheet and then walk away from the computer for 4 hours. That doesn't mean you actively worked on a spreadsheet for 4 hours. There's no way to know if you're working in an app or not, since you could spend hours reading a document without clicking anything.

I am of course aware of that. One would have to simply not do that for the method I described to work. Generally that is what I do anyway, since I am still trained from the OS 9-days of only having a document/app open when I actually use it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.