Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Paolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
The iPod can be used for software pirating... okay so you've probably all discussed this. But I read in an article that a kid walked into an applestore and plugged his iPod in and stole office X (good on him). How could the apple staff let him get away with it... Have you ever tried to discreatly plug in a firewire plug into a computer.... it just doesn't happen.

Which brings me to my point... Do the staff members in apple really know what there doing?

Everytime I've been to an apple store, the people in there have no idea what there talking about... Apple need to get better sales staff in there store?

(this seems like a whole lot of babble... but that's for reading anyway)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
It was a CompUSA, not an Apple Store...and I think that explains why it was possible for the kid to do it. No offense to anyone who works in a CompUSA (I know there's a couple of you out there ;) ), but service in the Apple section of the store is still a joke.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Yo row-dog... Dead on with [in]compusa... :eek: :D Except that most of the time when I go into [in]compusa the Apple section is devoid of any assistance. You can be standing there forever, and not have anyone come over to see if you need assistance. Do that in the peecee section, and they flock to help you. :rolleyes:

crazylb1

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2002
Boulder
I totally agree with you alpha except something has been curiously going on in my local CompUSA. I was there yesterday and the entire time i was there, 30-60 minutes, at least 10 customers and 2 employees were in the mac section! There was one employee who I was listening to that was even really knowledgable about macs, go figure! (And no he wasnt the Apple Tech guy, I know the Apple Tech guy and it wasnt him.) I was also in CompUSA last week and the same thing was true, it was both weird and really cool at the same time. They also have everything in stock, and have about 10 computers running all on OS X. Then in the front they have another iPod in the mp3 players section playing tunes hooked up to a five piece stereo system that can blast music to a bunch of the store. They also have mac classes for those who dont know much about macs, they can learn on 6 Powermacs and 3 eMacs. I was impressed yesterday! To top it off and to have a little fun, I downloaded the "Blue Screen of Death" Switch ad on the Powermac with the 22" screen and soundsticks and played it really loud so all the pc users near me could hear it... Bwahahaha!

OK I'm done:p :D

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
<gleaming in pride>played it really loud so all the pc users near me could hear it... Bwahahaha!</gleaming in pride>

<salute>Good Job soldier, go out and carry on</salute>

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It's good to hear that some of the [in]compusa stores are at least moderately well done... All the ones I have been inside of in both MA and NH have been pitiful for Mac support. This is spanning the past few years as well, so it's not a recent occurrence either.

sprocklingcat

macrumors member
May 4, 2002
KS
swiping office

A friend and I were talking about the same story (about DL'ing office X on an iPod), but he pointed out that the firewire cable would be the least bit of your worries.

Have you ever seen how much crap office scatters across the hardrive?

Try searching for all the office components w/ sherlock sometime

cat

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
All you need is the Office folder and a valid serial.

The prefs files will automatically be replaced if it finds them missing.

big

macrumors 65816
Feb 20, 2002
>All you need is the Office folder and a valid serial.

Oh- sorry, oyu said valid, not legal.

what would happen if the iPod went bluetooth? you could wear headphones with no cord, and it could automatically talk to your radios (car house etc) really throwing off the people at circuit city

"Hey, were the hell is Michael Jackson coming from"

or you could plug the firewire antenna into your mac at home and automatically launch the ipod when you walk into the house, (this would help when stealing files too, no cord)

Nipsy

macrumors 65816
Jan 19, 2002
Originally posted by big

what would happen if the iPod went bluetooth?

Blutooth is slow, you'd have to stand around for 36 minutes assuming Bluetooth was using 100% of its bandwidth, but an hour sounds more reasonable.

I pity any store that doesn't notice a 'customer' lurking for 60 minutes!

drastik

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2002
Nashvegas
Originally posted by AlphaTech
It's good to hear that some of the [in]compusa stores are at least moderately well done... All the ones I have been inside of in both MA and NH have been pitiful for Mac support. This is spanning the past few years as well, so it's not a recent occurrence either.

This is true, except the one in Central Square has the Mac Section placed before the PCs:D

peterjhill

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2002
Seattle, WA
Originally posted by big
>All you need is the Office folder and a valid serial.

I don't think that they use a serial code for Office for the Mac, do they. Maybe because we have an open license version, we don't need it.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Originally posted by peterjhill
I don't think that they use a serial code for Office for the Mac, do they. Maybe because we have an open license version, we don't need it.

We have a site license on campus, as well, but you definitely need a serial for Office v.X.

Come on...an MS product that doesn't require a serial? Get real.:p

Paolo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 21, 2001
The Moon
oh we've got the perfect build up

All we need now is for someone to post a MS serial... it would really finish this thread off on the happy note that, alot of people are ripping MS off with apple products.

That's a pretty good company idea, your moto could be 'Think Different - ways to steal microsoft products'.

Although you'd probably have a law suite on you pretty quick (I'm just waiting for a judge to appear in the switch section of apple.com)

bidge

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
New Zealand
Hey look, Apple promote this as a feature of the iPod.

Attachments

• ipod for pirating app#4d697.jpg
    ipod for pirating app#4d697.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 112

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
You don't need an iPod to steal software from a store. All you need is a network place to dump it to. Sure, it may be slower, but you're not stealing with anything physical.

Just cover up your transfer with another window like you're another dumb consumer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.