PDA

View Full Version : Konfabulator on my G3...

Brother Michael
Aug 5, 2004, 11:54 AM
Forgive me, I have asked a similiar question like this before but I can't find it for the life of me...

Anyone use Konfabulator on a G3 machine (specifically an iBook). How does it run on your machine? Did you notice a siginificant decrease in performance? What about memory?

While were at it, what are most people's opinion on Widgets? Do you find them useful? Annoying? Pointless? Nifty but not anything special?

Mike

Finiksa
Aug 5, 2004, 12:31 PM
I use it on both a 500MHz iMac and 700MHz iBook, the both handle it fine.

Performance would really depend on what kind of widgets you want to run, I normally have five weather widgets, a calendar and clock. Anything more graphically intensive or memory hungry could slow you've system down, you'd just have to experiment and see.

If you plan on upgrading to Tiger than I probably wouldn't bother buying it.

edesignuk
Aug 5, 2004, 12:33 PM
While were at it, what are most people's opinion on Widgets? Do you find them useful? Annoying? Pointless? Nifty but not anything special?
I'll go with "Pointless" & "Nifty but not anything special".

It's eye candy, plain and simple. Some do have a half decent function. But I'd rather have an application than a widget.

Kingsnapped
Aug 5, 2004, 12:49 PM
::snip::

When I ran my demo of Konfabulator, I never came across a widget I used a lot. When it ran out, I garbaged it and never looked back. They have great potential.. having them around 24/7 in 10.4 will be great, but Konfab is by no means a "must have app."

Brother Michael
Aug 5, 2004, 03:02 PM
I was primarily going to use the weather widget and the to do list that come with Konfabulator.

I didn't see any others that I desperatly needed.

Mike

edesignuk
Aug 5, 2004, 03:43 PM
I was primarily going to use the weather widgetGet WeatherPop 2 (http://www.glu.com/products/weatherpop/index.html), only $8, and much more tidy than a horrible widget floating around all the time.

Brother Michael
Aug 5, 2004, 05:18 PM
Get WeatherPop 2 (http://www.glu.com/products/weatherpop/index.html), only $8, and much more tidy than a horrible widget floating around all the time.

I like it. I think I will get it.

Thanks
Mike