Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

meganmay416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Hawaii
Ok...here it goes. I had reservations about upgrading to SL, as many of us have. I have upgraded most of my apps to CS4. Yet am still using Final Cut 5.0.4...my loyal friend for many reasons.
Upon upgrading, I can no longer export as a "Quicktime Movie." I am forced to export "Using Quicktime Conversion." This isn't the end of the world, however, it takes longer and seems like more work as there is NO default settings available using this route and more tweaking involved.

I will tell you what I have tried so far that hasn't worked. I kept a copy of Quicktime 7 and put it in my Apps folder along with QT X. That has not worked. I installed FCP 6 and that caused both versions (5 & 6) to fail. So I went back a few days via Time Machine...am still using Snow Leopard and a handicapped version of FCP 5.0.1 as I need to just keep producing work. I have a new project almost everyday and cannot afford to get set back.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006
Ok...here it goes. I had reservations about upgrading to SL, as many of us have. I have upgraded most of my apps to CS4. Yet am still using Final Cut 5.0.4...my loyal friend for many reasons.
Upon upgrading, I can no longer export as a "Quicktime Movie." I am forced to export "Using Quicktime Conversion." This isn't the end of the world, however, it takes longer and seems like more work as there is NO default settings available using this route and more tweaking involved.

I will tell you what I have tried so far that hasn't worked. I kept a copy of Quicktime 7 and put it in my Apps folder along with QT X. That has not worked. I installed FCP 6 and that caused both versions (5 & 6) to fail. So I went back a few days via Time Machine...am still using Snow Leopard and a handicapped version of FCP 5.0.1 as I need to just keep producing work. I have a new project almost everyday and cannot afford to get set back.

Any HELP would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Delete whatever quicktime you put in applications and install QuickTime 7 from the Snow Leopard DVD. It's an Optional Install.

meganmay416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Hawaii
Final Cut 5.0.4 and OSX 10.6 Upgrade to Snow Leopard

Ok... Would I also delete Quicktime X? Or keep both versions? Do they conflict when in the same folder?

meganmay416

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2009
Hawaii
Final Cut 5.0.4 and OSX 10.6 Upgrade to Snow Leopard

Thanks for your advice, I just completed that and a restart and when in FCP...I go to File>Export>Quicktime Movie...it doesn't help what happens: It starts to process and then just stops a couple seconds later.

I wish there was a way to specify which version of QT FCP used to export....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.