PDA

View Full Version : My first Mac, what sequencer to get?

muliko
Dec 4, 2009, 05:12 AM
I'm a first time Mac user who use to use Cubase SX3 for Windows which unfortunately does not work on my Mac.

I use Reason 4 (so rewire is a must) and also record a lot of instruments and have a host of different VST plug-ins.

Which sequencer will fit my needs? I'm looking at Pro-Tools M-Powered because I have an M-Audio interface but the only downside is it uses RTAS plug-ins, is there noway I can use VSTs on it?

Any suggestions are welcome! :)

deej999
Dec 4, 2009, 06:00 AM
You have a free sequencer that comes with your Mac, Garageband.

I love Logic Pro - great instruments and effects, immense routing capabilties. Lots to learn! You can get Cubase for Mac, or Ableton Live, Record... many options.

Logic hosts Audio units only, not VSTs. But you can get an FXpansion VST to AU wrapper if you need to host existing Mac VST plugins in Logic.

deej

seisend
Dec 4, 2009, 10:47 AM
There are several great sequencers out there. Logic have become better and better in the last years. Logic 9 is fantastic and I highly recommend it, ! I use Logic with Reason rewire sometimes. M-audio works with logic without any trouble.

If u liked Cubase, why don't get it again? But I'd check out Logic and Pro Tools too.

ChrisA
Dec 4, 2009, 12:16 PM
Which sequencer will fit my needs?.....

You are asking this on an Apple forum, so I'd expect you'll hear many people suggest Logic. You can get Logic Express for $199 and it may be enough for you, if not you can upgrade and I think recover the $199

Teej guy
Dec 4, 2009, 12:31 PM
If you primarily want to sequence, I'd go with Logic or Cubase, the latter being advantageous since you already know how to use it. Logic comes with a ridiculous sample library though...definitely worth considering.

If you primarily want to record and edit multitrack audio, I'd go with Pro Tools.

muliko
Dec 4, 2009, 01:12 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, appreciate it.

I used Logic in college on a Mac and for some reason I didn't feel comfortable with it and didn't write/produce my best music on it.

My music mainly consists of 75% Reason 4 and the rest Vocals/Guitar. I really enjoyed Pro Tools when I used it but the fact I have so many VST plug-ins which cost a lot drives me away from the idea.

Hmm!! :confused: