PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook G4 cleaning tips? Anyone?

TootsieToots
Aug 5, 2004, 02:57 PM
Hi,

First off, a quick "thanks" to all of you who offered up some very helpful suggestions on a new color printer.

Okay, on to my question -- anybody have any suggestions on how I should clean my PowerBook (the new aluminium model)? Apple.com sez I should just use a clean, damp cloth (if I remember correctly), but I'm a little nervous to use that on the outside of the machine as well as the keys and monitor as well. Figured I'd ask the experts here.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Double-T

emw
Aug 5, 2004, 11:02 PM
The key is "damp" not dripping. Unless it's really dirty, a quick wipe with a slightly damp cloth should work fine. I've used that method on my Ti book.

They also make special screen cleaners, available at Best Buy, OfficeMax, etc., if you want to go that route for the screen.

Kingsnapped
Aug 5, 2004, 11:05 PM
A damp cloth works great for everything but the screen. I realllly suggest you get an LCD cleaner like iKleer from Best Buy or the Apple store for the screen. Whatever you do, stay far away from Windex and other harsh chemicals.

SolidGun
Aug 6, 2004, 02:32 PM
I bet someone here buffs and waxes their PB....possible waterproofing? :D

wPod
Aug 6, 2004, 03:25 PM
I bet someone here buffs and waxes their PB....possible waterproofing? :D

i dont think that would be good. . . waxing would actually fill in little parts of the finish and it would become more shiny(like the back of an iPod) rather than the brushed metal look it has now. you can take a brillo pad to the back of an iPod to get the same look. . . if you want a 'powerPod' . . . though i do not recomend it. waxing an iBook might be nice. . . to give it that extra shine, but be careful b/c it might slip out of your hands!!!!

i just use a dry static-free cloth (ok so i use a paper towel) to clean my PB. . . outside, screen and all. . . if i get the odd little mark or dirt on the keyboard from my hands then i will use a slightly damp (emphasis on not much water) papertowel. just be nice to your PB and dont spill coffee on it and you should be good with the occasional dust off.

titaniumducky
Aug 7, 2004, 07:43 AM
Hi,

First off, a quick "thanks" to all of you who offered up some very helpful suggestions on a new color printer.

Okay, on to my question -- anybody have any suggestions on how I should clean my PowerBook (the new aluminium model)? Apple.com sez I should just use a clean, damp cloth (if I remember correctly), but I'm a little nervous to use that on the outside of the machine as well as the keys and monitor as well. Figured I'd ask the experts here.

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Double-T

I use ScreenSaverZ from radtech.us. I have a Ti, so I picked it up to stop the problem of the keys imprinting the screen. Since it's ultramicrofiber, it also make a great screen cloth. When they say "damp" they mean wet it and then squeeze as much water out as possible.

SolidGun
Aug 7, 2004, 09:53 AM
i dont think that would be good. . . waxing would actually fill in little parts of the finish and it would become more shiny(like the back of an iPod) rather than the brushed metal look it has now. you can take a brillo pad to the back of an iPod to get the same look. . . if you want a 'powerPod' . . . though i do not recomend it. waxing an iBook might be nice. . . to give it that extra shine, but be careful b/c it might slip out of your hands!!!!

Yeah, I know of the downside, but I bet there is someone out there buffing and waxing their PB.
I use lintfree cloth and plasma TV screen cleaner that doesn't drip (from Monster Cable) since I have a bottle of it.