Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Detlev_73

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2004
Roswell, GA
Within the next 30 days, God-willing, I'll be getting a new G5 in the dual 2.0 GHz flavor with an upgrade of RAM to a total of 1 GB.

My only question being if the 20" will suffice, or if I should just go for the gusto and get the 23". Although I'm not really scrounging for money. I'm wondering if the 23" will look TOO big on my desk.

I thought I had decided that the 23" is the way to go, but the 23" is SO DARNED enticing.

Also, does anyone know if AppleCare is worth it? I'm thinking since the displays only carry 1 year warranty, why not extend it to 3 years more for only a couple hundred more?

IF anyone that currently has a 23" display could provide me the exact measurements of the viewable part of the monitor and the measurements of the bezel, I'd grately appreciate it! So many thanks!

rock6079

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Detlev_73 said:
Within the next 30 days, God-willing, I'll be getting a new G5 in the dual 2.0 GHz flavor with an upgrade of RAM to a total of 1 GB.

My only question being if the 20" will suffice, or if I should just go for the gusto and get the 23". Although I'm not really scrounging for money. I'm wondering if the 23" will look TOO big on my desk.

I thought I had decided that the 23" is the way to go, but the 23" is SO DARNED enticing.

Also, does anyone know if AppleCare is worth it? I'm thinking since the displays only carry 1 year warranty, why not extend it to 3 years more for only a couple hundred more?

IF anyone that currently has a 23" display could provide me the exact measurements of the viewable part of the monitor and the measurements of the bezel, I'd grately appreciate it! So many thanks!

23,23,23,23,23,23 cmon... if u have the money then y not.. ne wase a display iso ne of the things that i would prboably get eteneded warrenty on. since its once of the apple products u probably replace least often (well for me at least) i get a new ipod every year or so so theres no point for extra warrentty on that and a new mac every 2 years or so so once agian no extra warrenty on that. but the displays i usually stick with fora while since they dont cahnge often. and if n e thing happesn to it. its lots of $$ to fix

crazzyeddie

macrumors 68030
Dec 7, 2002
Florida, USA
Dimensions for the 23":

Height: 17.7 inches (45 cm)
Width: 21.1 inches (53.6 cm)
Depth: 7.3 inches (18.7 cm)
Weight: 15.5 pounds (7.03 kg)

FYI, the 20" for comparison:

Height: 16.1 inches (41 cm)
Width: 18.5 inches (47.1 cm)
Depth: 6.8 inches (17.4 cm)
Weight: 14.5 pounds (6.6 kg)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
whatever you do make sure that you dont buy a g5 with that piece of crap 5200 card it's rubbish a geforce 3 is faster make sure you get at least a 9600xt.

and btw the 23" has 23" viewable screen it's all there (as with all lcd's you only have to worry about the veiwable area on crt's)

friarbayliff

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2004
MN / IN
Get the 23 - especially if money is not a huge concern. Anyway, you can't lose either way - all of the displays are beautiful.

LeeTom

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2004
If you get Applecare for your G5, and buy the monitor at the same time, the monitor is covered under Applecare. This is actually the only way to get Applecare for a monitor, you can't get it for just a monitor.
So basically, you'll get Applecare for free on the monitor, if you were going to get it for the G5 anyway.
I believe you have to purchase them both at the same time, though, for this to happen.

Lee Tom

Bhennies

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2004
NYC & Baltimore
The 23" is the sweet spot in the line up. I'm typing on one right now and man is it the BEST LCD display I've ever used. It's wonderful. The 20" didn't seem as dynamic to me and seemed too small.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have the 20" and honestly I wouldn't take the 23" if it was offered to me in a straight-up trade (unless I could resell it, hehe). I wouldn't be able to look at the whole thing at once, and wouldn't want it to take up any more space on my desk. But then, I am not a graphics professional or anything.

letterbox

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2004
i have a 20" and i love it. neither the size of the actualy screen or the realestate is too large. when looking at the 23 inch i honestly thought it was larger than i'd want...

however, i'd probably take it now if i had the choice, but i definatly don't need it and probably wouldn't use all the space efficently.

so, if you have the $$ to get it, get it, it's HD its fun, good luck.

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
Pointless question of the year award...

You have the money.
You have the desk space.
You buy the 23".
You sit at your desk with a huge grin on your face.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Get the 23" and I'll trade you for my 17". The 17" wil look much nicer. It is compact and fits nicely on any desk. Really, it will. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.