Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eatmorehippo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2009
Hey there, I'm trying to install a copy of Windows XP on my external hard drive. I don't have a working cd drive though on my macbook so I can't use a cd.

Is there any way to install to the external without a cd? If not is there any way to install it with a windows pc and have it work on my mac?

Any help is appreciated.
-Andrew

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
One thing you can do is get an ISO image file, then use disk utility and make an external drive bootable..
The computer will now see the external drive as a bootable cd and allow you to install windows.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
One thing you can do is get an ISO image file, then use disk utility and make an external drive bootable..
The computer will now see the external drive as a bootable cd and allow you to install windows.

...except that Windows operating systems can't boot from external drives, unless you're willing to sort through the hacks (which involve things like removing you internal drive, etc.)

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Depends on your needs/uses for Windows XP.

You could also easily install from an ISO to an external if you are willing to stay with VirtualBox/Parallels/VMWare Fusion.

B

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Depends on your needs/uses for Windows XP.

You could also easily install from an ISO to an external if you are willing to stay with VirtualBox/Parallels/VMWare Fusion.

B

That is the key. No external boot support in Windows. I wonder if they'll ever get that fixed.

Cheers,

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
That is the key. No external boot support in Windows. I wonder if they'll ever get that fixed.

Doubt it. The Windows licensing and driver model is not amenable to re-"movable" installs. What would an install from a MacBook do on an iMac?

B

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Doubt it. The Windows licensing and driver model is not amenable to re-"movable" installs. What would an install from a MacBook do on an iMac?

B

Depends on the models. When I bought my refurb iMac 24 couple of months ago I just superduper copied my early 2009 to an external drive once I proved it worked using target mode on the mini. I suspect since they both had nvidia gpu it worked so well.

Cheers,

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I presume you had to reactivate, right?

B

VPrime

macrumors 68000
Dec 19, 2008
London Ontario
...except that Windows operating systems can't boot from external drives, unless you're willing to sort through the hacks (which involve things like removing you internal drive, etc.)
I dont mean install windows on an external drive and have that bootable. I mean mount the ISO onto an external drive.. So the external drive because the install cd.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

I presume you had to reactivate, right?

B

Yes, Windows did have to be activated but the phone thing worked fine. Of course OS X just worked. Only had to de-authorized the iTunes store on the old mini and re-authorize on the iMac. Seems iTunes knew it was a different machine.

Cheers,

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
No, that link won't help you for what you want to do. Like the others said, Windows cannot be booted from an external drive on the Mac. It has to be installed to a partition or a separate internal hard drive.

If you do decide to install to a partition on your MacBook's internal drive though, that link will help you do it without needing an optical drive.

mpramodjain

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2008
Banglore
I would like to install Windows xp on mac os x. Following are my quests related to this..

Do I need to have the Activation of Windows XP or just licensed one is enough to install using either of the way using BootCamp or Virtual Box from Sun.

stevetmp

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Help for a simpleton!

Hey folks,

Ok, so first let me apologize for the forthcoming post. I have read a lot of the posts on here and it's just not in a language I understand!

I'm trying to install windows 7 onto Mac OSX (snowleopard) via bootcamp. I understand that I have to partition my internal hard drive but I have no idea how to do this correctly. Ideally I would like to be running windows off of an external hard drive. I wondered if there's someone out there kind enough to talk me through it, step by step... as if I'm a 2 year old! Would really appreciate the help.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I understand that I have to partition my internal hard drive but I have no idea how to do this correctly. Ideally I would like to be running windows off of an external hard drive.

This is exactly what the Boot Camp Assistant Apple provides is for. Have you read the Boot Camp instructions from Apple?

For us to be able to help you beyond that, you need to give us more info:

Which Mac? (MacBook, MBP, iMac, mini, Mac Pro?)
How big is your current hard drive?
Which version of Windows do you intend to install?
Have you already obtained Windows? If so how?
What do you want to DO with Windows once you have it installed?
How much disk space do you expect Windows will need?

There are always alternatives, but we need to understand the situation first.

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.