Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
Just downloaded the update for co-pilot live, it now has an option in the menu for 'co-pilot store' where you can purchase traffic info for £19.99 for 12 mths and also text to speech for £2.99.

Just bought the live traffic, but haven't tried it yet...

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Let us know how you get on with it. I guess if you wanted all the features say Navigon has, the price difference isn't that much now!

Anyone know where the traffic data comes from and is Google used for the live search?

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Just seen also that where its £19.99 in the UK, its $19.99 in the US so they are getting the same thing for around £12! What a rip off!

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008
Bought the TTS this morning, went on a journey and it didn't say a single street name! Anyone else bought this yet?

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
If its like the other apps with a TTS option, you need to change the voice. Hopefully you should have a new voice which is somehow 'computer' generated?

Aurial

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
If its like the other apps with a TTS option, you need to change the voice. Hopefully you should have a new voice which is somehow 'computer' generated?

You're right. If you go into the voices options there is one with an asterisk next to it. For the English UK one it's Eleanor.

pauliphone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 27, 2008
London, UK
tried the traffic, but being saturday haven't come across any traffic yet! so don't know how good it is, will let you guys know on monday how it works out.
Also don't like Eleanor's voice, what a shame you can't have the TTS with one of the decent voices.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
I've tried all the premium stuff now. Petrol prices is handy and seems to return sound info. Street names is a bit weird and sometimes the names make the instructions go on for too long. I'm not sure if I teLly need to worry about street names rather than next left or whatever, so judgement out on that one. Traffic - not been alerted enroute yet but it did pull up traffic info along the route (lane closed, narrow lanes) but not any divert info or increased journey times. But the connection and data download seemed to work.

I also think the map has improved graphics, especially on the route overview. It certainly looks a lot cleaner. So all in all, quite happy with this update.

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
I've tried all the premium stuff now. Petrol prices is handy and seems to return sound info. Street names is a bit weird and sometimes the names make the instructions go on for too long. I'm not sure if I teLly need to worry about street names rather than next left or whatever, so judgement out on that one. Traffic - not been alerted enroute yet but it did pull up traffic info along the route (lane closed, narrow lanes) but not any divert info or increased journey times. But the connection and data download seemed to work.

I also think the map has improved graphics, especially on the route overview. It certainly looks a lot cleaner. So all in all, quite happy with this update.

So it shows you lanes closed, road works, accidents etc? How are they shown on the map - any screen shots? And in what way are the graphics better?

My worry is, I wonder how accurate and up-to-date the traffic info will be.

JAWWC

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2008

Thanks! Although I think this should be explained when you buy it!

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Anyone tried the live traffic yet? I plotted a pretend trip to London. I then got a traffic bar down the right hand side with a warning symbol half way up - clicking on this gave me the precise issue (lane closure in this case on the motorway). But how does the bar work and will CoPilot actually re-route or just inform you of problems? I can't find any instructions anywhere!

Also, how on earth do you work out estimated fuel costs? Its in ltrs and both my cars estimated fuel consumption is in gallons (30 MPG)and the cost at the local petrol station is also in gallons (£1.10 right now). Anyone good at maths?!

GLOC

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2009
Also, how on earth do you work out estimated fuel costs? Its in ltrs and both my cars estimated fuel consumption is in gallons (30 MPG)and the cost at the local petrol station is also in gallons (£1.10 right now). Anyone good at maths?!

That £1.10 is a litre, not a gallon!!

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
That £1.10 is a litre, not a gallon!!

Yup, told you I was stupid! So, next questions. Since there is no decimal point button, do you just put 110? And, how on earth do you then see the expected cost?

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Well, entering the estimated m/l is ok (divide mpg by 4.54 for mpl) but cost per litre is something else. How the heck do you enter the decimal? If you put 109, ie in pence, you end up a factor of 100 too expensive but there is no point to enter on the input screen.

LostLogik

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2008
Yup, told you I was stupid! So, next questions. Since there is no decimal point button, do you just put 110? And, how on earth do you then see the expected cost?

Nuts, you beat me to it. I was busy watching James May and forgot to press "submit"

You see the expected cost when you plan a route and preview it. The cost is then shown when you choose one of the route types

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Well, entering the estimated m/l is ok (divide mpg by 4.54 for mpl) but cost per litre is something else. How the heck do you enter the decimal? If you put 109, ie in pence, you end up a factor of 100 too expensive but there is no point to enter on the input screen.

Looks like it's a bug. Copilot do apparently know about it. So in effect, right now it's a useless feature I guess.

stormingjoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
purchased traffic ands tts, done a restore of the phone and traffic wont reinstall the licence even though tts does, been in contact with alk, not been very helpful, going through the motions I think. Bought when first available been unusable since day 2. Not jailbroken and genuine uk unlocked contract phone. A bit apprehensive to purchasing in-app again as support is poor, iTunes dont want to know even though inapp goes threw the servers.:confused:

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
purchased traffic ands tts, done a restore of the phone and traffic wont reinstall the licence even though tts does, been in contact with alk, not been very helpful, going through the motions I think. Bought when first available been unusable since day 2. Not jailbroken and genuine uk unlocked contract phone. A bit apprehensive to purchasing in-app again as support is poor, iTunes dont want to know even though inapp goes threw the servers.:confused:

When you say "genuine uk unlocked contract phone" do you mean you bought it unlocked? And when you did the restore, did you also restore the back-up or did you do a clean install of all the apps and data?

stormingjoe

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2009
genuine as in UK O2 unlocked as all contract O2 phones are unlocked, done full restore from backup, then did as new phone, deleted app then reinstalled, done several times now as alk requested what I had already done again! Even suggesting I had purchased traffic in USA?

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
My o2 iPhone is locked to o2 - nothing unlocked about it! Not sure then - had no problems with the add-ons except for when it was jail broken. Have you asked on their facebook page? A few people on there had issues which got sorted via tips from other users.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.