Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lobo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
I'm on the verge of making use of the cram and jam special to get a new powerbook and ipod. The main thing holding me back is just how harmonious the environment will be between my 2 new friends and my PCs are home and school. I want to have my music on my powerbook, sync the music from there to my ipod. That doesn't seem to be a problem. The area in which I'm afraid a quandary will occur lies within my need to share files from my powerbook to my windows PCs at home and at school. Is this possible? I've heard no, the mac will format the ipod one way and the pc will format it another, but then again I've heard others say that the ipod could be formatted in fat32 and it could be read by the different OSs. I want to be able to work on some photoshopping on my powerbook, save a jpeg of the results to my ipod, take it to the XP machine at school, and show my instructors my work. Any help on the matter will be very appreciated.

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
xp cant read hfs+, mac os x can only read ntfs, et cetera

um i suggest ntfs/fat32/whatever the windows formatting thing dealie is, or you can format the drive using a Mac, and get one of thoes hfs+ readers for Windows.

dvapplepro

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2004
If you format it as fat 32 you can use it on both apple and pc. You also got to have it so that it says conected, so it doesnt just sync and charge. You just have to go to the perfrences and select the firewire drive and you will be fine...

Bobby The Gibbons
Crazybobby.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.