Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Explain to me how do i view launch.com videos on my mac... I want to see this videos. The changing the user agent in the debug menu doesn't do ne thing :confused:

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
It says you need a certain version of Netscape and you need popups enabled. What's hard about that?

Personally I wouldn't jump through their hoops.

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
To view launch videos you must run the verson of netscape it says under classic mode. And for the people who suggested itunes, itunes has nothing compared to launch, any music video I want to see I seem to find on launch. Don't forget launch is brought to you by yahoo, a company that has proven that they don't care about the mac community with their simple messenger and lack of launch support, I have never come across a website on my mac that I couldn't watch videos except on launch, how hard is it to conform to the web standard so we can avoid this???

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
upperblue79 said:
how hard is it to conform to the web standard so we can avoid this???
How hard is it to refuse to use services that don't support the Mac and send letters to the offending companies telling them to screw themselves?

Okay, it's a little hard but do you want to try to change something or not? don't roll over for these guys.

alanbuilds

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2004
Connecticut, USA
I want Launch!

I want Launch!

I also downloaded all the versions of stuff & jumped through all hoops as instructed, but still no Launch music videos! The world of Mac would be a whole lot more fun with Launch -- but 4 letters to Yahoo! probably won't do it (I'm just guessing here).

Any way we can use Bill Gates blackmail tactics? Or report them to Tom Ridge and President Bush for being in cahoots with Al-queada? (code orange)

Seriously, any thoughts on what could be effective?

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I always wished I could watch the videos on Launch.com too. I doubt it would take much to get it to work, as all the videos are just wma files anyway. Actually, I bet if they didn't have that message that comes up telling you it won't work, and instead just loaded the video page, it might work as is.

And, upperblue79, your signature would be much much easier to read if the whole thing wasn't a giant underlined link.

upperblue79

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2004
Little Rock, AR
Like I said, yahoo does not seem to care for the mac community.
Here is a post that I put in a different forum on Oct 2 2003
After Yahoo's recent security changes I contacted Yahoo to tell them that blocking out 3rd party software was terrible for the mac community, because personally, I like the yahoo chat rooms and yahoo java chat is not pleasent, and the woman with whom I spoke to informed me that yahoo does not support the mac community and that I was even lucky they made an IM client and if I want features beyond that, I should join the rest of the world and use Micro$oft Wiindows. I don't know if this is the official view of yahoo, it could be just hers, but it is something to think about - why does the windows version have so many features they can't put on the mac.......?

And this is a response from someone who claimed to be with yahoo
Hi Guest,

Rest assured the response you received does not reflect Yahoo!'s position on supporting the Mac OS platform. Rather, we are very committed to providing options for Yahoo! users on Mac OS. There are certain technical limitations that have prevented us from brining features such as voice chat and IMVs to the Mac, but please trust that we hear all of your feedback and are working hard to bring the Yahoo! experience on Mac OS up to speed with your expectations. Thanks for your patience!

The Messenger Yahoos

The reason I put this here is because launch is brought to you by yahoo and according to a woman I spoke to at yahoo they don't want to support us, even though that poster said different it's coming up on a year and yahoo keeps doing things for thier windows customers, so take what you want of it.

CubaTBird

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
i finally got launch to work on my ibook... u have to use netscape 4.7 via classic mode.. once u got that you have to dl wmp 7.1 for os 9 and install that... it can take half and hour to install, which was beyond me.. after that i was able view videos okay ;)

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
CubaTBird said:
i finally got launch to work on my ibook... u have to use netscape 4.7 via classic mode.. once u got that you have to dl wmp 7.1 for os 9 and install that... it can take half and hour to install, which was beyond me.. after that i was able view videos okay ;)

Accept I absolutely refuse to load Classic for anything. That really shouldn't be necessary just to view a video. :(

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm trying to get it working too. Their tech support is idiotic. I sent them this:

I tried to watch a music video using the latest version of Safari, and I got a message saying that I must use Netscape 4.7. So I loaded Netscape and tried to go to your site, but it won't load. I only get the "headings" up the top of the page (Launchcast radio, Music Videos, Artists, Shop). Any ideas?

And they replied with:

Unfortunately, at this time the only browsers which are capable of supporting LAUNCHcast for the Mac are Netscape versions 4.5-4.79.

Gee, thanks.

I still don't have it working, but I got an email from a survey company asking about my support experience. One of the questions asked for me to rate how good Launch is overall. I can't get anything working, so I gave it a zero :D

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
Two words: screw them.

If they won't make it easy for you to get their content then they don't deserve your time. They're telling you "we don't want your kind here." Give them what they want.

dorqiekat

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2004
Horrortaxi said:
Two words: screw them.

If they won't make it easy for you to get their content then they don't deserve your time. They're telling you "we don't want your kind here." Give them what they want.

Easier said than done. I loved launch, and I miss it hell of a lot. Launch is not compatable with macs, and by the sound of it, they don't want to be. However, once they are, I'll be back on their doorstep to watch my music videos. It's easy to hate them and screw them, but you're still loosing out on free music videos.

Horrortaxi

macrumors 68020
Jul 6, 2003
Los Angeles
dorqiekat said:
It's easy to hate them and screw them, but you're still loosing out on free music videos.
It's really easy because I couldn't care less about free music videos. I am doing without some things I'd really rather have because the people who have them won't support Macs. All it takes is a backbone.

Ninja_Turtle

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2004
Fullerton, California
party

netscape my fat headed friend ( lol :p ) but, believe me its not worth it, i suggest you go to rollingstone.com ... they have tons of Quicktime music videos and couple of windows media videos, all good, and no adds like the ones on launch.com, launch.com is terrible site for the mac (better and best) users, for the windows-its quiet good, but i mean..its windows :p MACS RULE :D

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Ninja_Turtle said:
i suggest you go to rollingstone.com ... they have tons of Quicktime music videos and couple of windows media videos

It looks to me that all their videos are in real video format. Where are you finding all these quicktime videos?

Applespider

macrumors G4
Launch is one of the thing that BT internet (in bed with Yahoo) keep trying to tell me I should try - I've had multiple emails about it.

I keep emailing them back that when they make support better browsers I will be. I don't like that they want me to use Netscape but at least make it a Netscape that runs on my normal OS!

The thing that narks me is that OSX is hardly new - they just don't care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.