PDA

View Full Version : changing the settings of a sequence after adding clips

daTroll
Dec 5, 2009, 06:24 PM
Hi!

Sorry for a long post, and I do realise now bad this handle is for a forum, but I do have three serious questions.. They're at the bottom, here's the background:

I'm editing two cameras shot on the same 2.5 hr live performance to make a small run double DVD (DL has not yet gained full acceptance amongst the recipients). For the end result, I intend it to be in mastered in iDVD 16x9 Professional Quality.

The video was shot in XDCAM EX and HDV respectively. I've had the HVD tapes converted by a friend to MPEG2, which I have in turn converted to QT 1920x1080i. I'm using FCE4.0.1, and had to buy extra software for the XDCAM support.

Thanks to lots of searches and reading this forum, I'm starting to get my head around all of this video format stuff, but for some weird reason I thought it would be good to start editing with my sequence set to 720p. That was a couple of weeks ago, and I have now come to realise it is not a good thing. Trouble is that I am 30 minutes into the video, and there are many hours spent on nudging edit points to line up with the music...

I have read the following on p302 in the manual: "Sequence settings such as frame size and audio sample rate can be modified at any time." Nice and easy, sure it works for new clips that are added. But what about the part of the sequence that has already been built? After some trials with copying the tracks, I could only get the edited video in pillarbox. The best solution I have found is to create a new sequence in 1080i, drag and drop my 720p sequence into it in the browser, and deny the suggestion in the messagebox to change format.

Questions:
1. is there a better solution to changing frame size on an existing sequence than dropping it into a new sequence?
2. besides losing all my edit points when doing this, will the quality be reduced? Ie, would you recommend starting over from scratch?
3. what format should I use for the sequence: AVCHD 1920x1080i50 or HDV 1080i50?

Thanks in anticipation of any nuggets of wisdom you may share! =)

D4rL0t
Dec 6, 2009, 06:18 PM
Questions:
1. is there a better solution to changing frame size on an existing sequence than dropping it into a new sequence?
2. besides losing all my edit points when doing this, will the quality be reduced? Ie, would you recommend starting over from scratch?
3. what format should I use for the sequence: AVCHD 1920x1080i50 or HDV 1080i50?

Sorry, I don't know... :confused: When upgrading a 4:3 formatted sequence to 16:9, I just see the original portion of my video (shot in 16:9 HD) with a teal (or cyan?) colored rectangle around it.

huntercr
Dec 6, 2009, 08:06 PM
If your final output medium is DVD, then why not leave your sequence in 720p? You have already worked hard on what you have, and when you send the fie to iDVD it's going to down convert it to SD 16:9 anyway.

Since you're alreay in a progressive mode, you'll have to reinterlace it on export if you want to get the highest quality video ( iDVD may successfully do this on its own, but I wouldn't trust it )

Export to Quicktime movie with NTSC 16:9 ( use the AIC codec, or DV.. try AIC with interlace first ) and 48KHZ Linear PCM stereo audio.

Hopefully this will work for you!

lighthouse_man
Dec 7, 2009, 06:45 AM
Changing the setting can be a drag. If you haven't figured it out already, a tedious but precise way would be to match frame (Mark>Match Frame>Master Clip or simply 'f') and copycat what you did in the original sequence. Your cuts will appear in the Viewer and will retain the same in/out points as you currently have your sequence.

In case you work on multiple video tracks, be careful of clips that extend after the out point on the sequence, the ones that are covered by another video on a higher track.