Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EliteF50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
I can trade my friend my PSP Slim (With 2 games, case, charger) for his eMac.

I wouldn't use the eMac as my main computer, I'd give it to my daughters to use. But the thing is, it only has a 700MHz G4 Processor and 768MB of RAM, will it lag on Youtube?

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
I can trade my friend my PSP Slim (With 2 games, case, charger) for his eMac.

I wouldn't use the eMac as my main computer, I'd give it to my daughters to use. But the thing is, it only has a 700MHz G4 Processor and 768MB of RAM, will it lag on Youtube?

Forget Youtube. Flash makes a Core Duo cower, let alone a G4. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no way 700 Mhz could load a modern website anymore. Minimum acceptable performance I'd say would come from a 1.25 Ghz eMac.

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2007
Washington D.C. Area
I personally wouldn't make the trade, but I don't think it's the worst trade ever. Any PowerPC Mac will lag on Youtube, especially an eMac of that age, but a computer is a computer. You may be better off just buying one off of eBay since they're pretty cheap there.

macgeek18

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2009
Northern California
Forget Youtube. Flash makes a Core Duo cower, let alone a G4. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but there is no way 700 Mhz could load a modern website anymore. Minimum acceptable performance I'd say would come from a 1.25 Ghz eMac.

I disagree,my PM G4 867Mhz and my eMac 1Ghz are great on youtube.To the thread starter,700Mhz is a little slow these days,my 867mhz cuts it for leopard just so much.for a eMac,1Ghz or nothing.or you'll be stuck with Tiger,and the ram is basically maxed out,you want at least a gig.

EliteF50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
I disagree,my PM G4 867Mhz and my eMac 1Ghz are great on youtube.To the thread starter,700Mhz is a little slow these days,my 867mhz cuts it for leopard just so much.for a eMac,1Ghz or nothing.or you'll be stuck with Tiger,and the ram is basically maxed out,you want at least a gig.

I don't mind Tiger, but now I don't think I'll do it. I don't want a computer unable to handle video streaming. :(

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007

You've upgraded your video card though, and the 1 Ghz eMac has a better graphics card. That luxury doesn't exist for eMacs and I can almost guarantee that a GeForce2 MX paired with a 700 Mhz G4 will not do Youtube. For what it's worth, I have a 600 Mhz G3 eMac (last rev.) that cannot even handle standard, low quality Youtube clips (1 GB ram).

I wouldn't do it unless you need something for word processing and IM.

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
hat do i have here ? the only iMac g3 600mhz who can play nearly all youtube videos and it does open all websites , i am writing all my posts here on it (just for example), i use it as my main surfing machine , online banking and for emailing and printing , and it still does the job perfectly well ,
so of course the eMac g4 700 is a good choice for the first steps in macworld of your doughter
you just have to remember that even tiger will work on it but panther will be better,and you only have usb 1.1 on it and for flash you cant use flashplayer 10 you need flashplayer 9 , same for other videos you need a older version of vlc player not the newest one , and there is a version of camino browser availabe that was improved for running on g4`s
as all new players , browsers are build to waste every resource there is ,ram , graphic, processor

EliteF50

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2009
Okay, what about 1.42GHz, would that be good for Youtube/Web surfing?

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
the 1.42 is good enough for everything , youtube, webbrowsing,watching dvd`s , burning dvd`s even dual layer , i even watch digital tv on it with a pctv nano usb stick and eye tv ,so in basic its a allround computer with a perfect screen with bright colors and good speakers inside
and you could upgrade the ram to 2 gb (unofficial supported) if you wish ,but 1gb (max official supported ) is enough for everything

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.