PDA

View Full Version : Pop up messages LAN

oldschool
Aug 6, 2004, 01:12 AM
i have two powerbooks on my wireless network. one is mine and one is my brothers.

i'd like to be able to have some sort of application running in the background, that will allow me to send a pop up message to my brothers computer and vice versa. I know that there is iChat rendezvous messaging but since we both use mSN i'd like something separate.

Counterfit
Aug 6, 2004, 02:05 AM
Well, if you spend quite a bit of time in Terminal, and have accounts on your respective sibling's PB, you could always use write username terminal# (tty1 etc.) message. It won't give you a popup, but it does save you from keeping something else running in the background (provided you have Terminal open anyway of course). Although I think I've seen some apps on VersionTracker that do some sort in intra-network messaging, I don't remember any names though...

angelneo
Aug 6, 2004, 04:55 AM
I am thinking about this as well. I know in windows you can do a net send and they will have a pop message window.
An interesting thing is that I have this software called PCMacLan. If I attempt a connection via Appletalk from my Mac to my PC (installed with PCMacLan), I can send a pop up message from PC to my Mac even in OS 9. How did they do it?