PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express

jacobj
Aug 6, 2004, 01:26 AM
Mine arrived yesterday... I've been using it for hours and love it..(not sure about the particular shade of green for indicator.. but, who really cares)..

Anyway... anyone else got it and if so has anyone come up with some clever uses for it....?

SuperChuck
Aug 6, 2004, 01:27 AM
How's the range? I've been wondering if it's better or worse than the Airport Extreme Base Station...

superbovine
Aug 6, 2004, 02:50 AM
How's the range? I've been wondering if it's better or worse than the Airport Extreme Base Station...

well you could have just looked up the ranges.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

the ranges listed are same, however, the base station can use an external antenna, and can probably be placed in a more optimal placement for signal reception.

SuperChuck
Aug 6, 2004, 03:41 AM
well you could have just looked up the ranges.

http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/specs.html
http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/specs.html

the ranges listed are same, however, the base station can use an external antenna, and can probably be placed in a more optimal placement for signal reception.

I have looked at the ranges. I was just hoping for an assessment that was made by somebody who isn't selling the product.

Sabbath
Aug 6, 2004, 07:39 AM
I really like my airport express too it's just a great little package. Or atleast it would be if you could enter a MAC address manually as it is I have to run it through a wired connection on my linksys router in order to enter a manual MAC address, making the package large and troublesome argghh :o

atari1356
Aug 6, 2004, 08:11 AM
Does the Airport Express come with an external power cord? Or can you buy one separately?

It seems like if you had to plug it directly into the wall it would be pretty low to the ground and not very good for reception, but with an external power cord you could raise it up and put it on a bookshelf/desk.

ExoticFish
Aug 6, 2004, 08:24 AM
well so far i'm incredibly impressed. it has better range than my SMC 802.11b router, and listening to iTunes from across the room is just awesome. this is one happy camper. :)

it doesn't come with an external power cord but i bet the one for the iBook/Powerbook would work (haven't tried it yet)

sandman42
Aug 6, 2004, 08:30 AM
Does the Airport Express come with an external power cord? Or can you buy one separately?

I seem to recall that you can remove the plug part, and attach a power cord in its place. It looked similar to, if not exactly the same as, the way it works with the 'power brick' for my iBook. The power cord was, unfortunately, listed as a 'purchased separately' accessory, but having just had a quick look at the Apple Store web site, I can't see where they offer it for sale on its own.

It looks like you have to buy the $39 "The AirPort Express Stereo Connection Kit with Monster Cables", which includes: "everything you need to get the most from AirPort Express: a Monster mini-to-RCA left/right audio cable, a Monster mini-to-optical digital Toslink audio cable and an AirPort Express power extension cord."

dabern
Aug 6, 2004, 08:58 AM
Yes, the connection kit includes the power cord extension...I didn't check to see if it's same as the Powerbook extension tho.

I use my AX to trick coworkers...hook their speakers to it without their knowledge and stream music..too funny.

Sabbath
Aug 6, 2004, 09:00 AM

It seems like if you had to plug it directly into the wall it would be pretty low to the ground and not very good for reception, but with an external power cord you could raise it up and put it on a bookshelf/desk.

It doesn't come with the cord as others have stated but if you could get someone to check if a powerbook chord, I'm sure you could pick one up much cheaper on eBay or even as I have know people to do with powerbook powerbricks you can just plug in the kind of cord you use for a small radio or shaver, which would be even cheaper but not look as good.

superbovine
Aug 6, 2004, 09:30 AM
I have looked at the ranges. I was just hoping for an assessment that was made by somebody who isn't selling the product.

first, if i am not mistaken the FCC test the devices and their ranges. second range really depends on the building that it is in, the material the building is constructed out of, and any external interference your wifi may recieve. The fact that there is no external antenna will be a factor as well. I will say though that placing the wifi in a wall socket isn't the best place. another factor is the antenna on the reciever.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1628579,00.asp

http://www.ipodlounge.com/reviews_more.php?id=4459_0_6_0_M

Switcher2001
Aug 6, 2004, 10:12 AM
It doesn't come with the cord as others have stated but if you could get someone to check if a powerbook chord, I'm sure you could pick one up much cheaper on eBay or even as I have know people to do with powerbook powerbricks you can just plug in the kind of cord you use for a small radio or shaver, which would be even cheaper but not look as good.

I have an iBook that came with the power "brick"-type adapter that can be plugged directly into the wall with the US standard plug, or the US plug can be switched out with any of the international plugs Apple sells as travel accessories OR can be used with an extending power cord. This same power cord extension works with the Airport Express! I have used it to position the "brick" on one of the shelves of my entertainment center so that it doesn't have to be behind it near the floor. I can play my iTunes through my living room stereo system just fine.

The Airport Express is also serving to extend the range of my Airport network (which includes an Airport Extreme, an iMac with Airport Extreme card, and an iBook with an Airport card), so now my iBook has better connectivity in the living room. I can have my iMac turned on in the office with iTunes open, then sit in the living room with my iBook (which has too small a hard drive to contain my music collection), connect to my iMac's iTunes library (which I share), and then command my iTunes library from my iBook and have it play through my living room speakers. Pretty cool! :cool:

janey
Aug 6, 2004, 01:11 PM
i had a dead old 45w power adapter, used the extension cable with airport express and it works, baby, it works!! ;)
No way I could have made any space to plug the thing in as is.

Havent tried it with the newer three prong one, but I assume it works too.

On a sidenote, it was a REAL ****ing PITA to set up WDS with my current network. I dunno, it might just be me, but every time I tried to use airport admin utility to fiddle with the WDS settings on the express, the express base station would just `disappear` and whenever i fiddled with the extreme's WDS settings, it would tell me it couldnt change settings on the express, and it really hated my guts until i just reset the express and tried it over with the setup assistant. now it works. i love it. omg its so portable :p
i scared the crap out of my parents yesterday with airtunes :D blasted jay-z and some dmx from the speakers, but that gave me a headache so then i put on some nine inch nails until my parents yelled at me.