Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

estrand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Hi,

I work for an archives in Washington, DC, and we have been searching for several years for a copy of Photoshop 1.0 on its original floppy discs. While it may seem odd to those outside the profession, archivists are desperately collection old computers and software. Files created in the first wave of software twenty years ago are only now making their way into archives and the programs of today cannot open them.

If anyone has or knows of original floppy disks for Photoshop 1.0, please let me know.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
I understand the need to preserve old software for the reasons you mention, but I'm curious - what file types created under Photoshop 1.0 are not openable by the latest versions?

estrand

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
occamsrazor - .psd files. It is commonly assumed that if the file type has the same name as the latest file type than there will be no problem using the latest program, whether it's word, or photoshop or whatever. While I'm not the one who actually works with the old files, so I cannot give specific examples, this is not the case. If you go back far enough in the history of a program like photoshop or word, the files can't be opened, or can't be interpreted correctly by the latest program, or cause the computers to crash. It depends on the program and the file.

design-is - While I appreciate your help, I work at the Smithsonian and as a public institution there is no way we could download and use a program illegally, which technically downloading Photoshop 1.0 without the permission of Adobe Systems is. Sorry, it may seem overly scrupulous, but we have no choice. However, if I have no luck here I might try posting on that website, thank you.

occamsrazor

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Why not just write to Adobe sales dept and ask them how you can get a copy, if you need it licensed?

Re: the PSD files.... I hadn't thought of that, makes sense. I assume you have tried GraphicConverter? It's pretty good at converting various formats:

http://www.graphic-converter.net/index.htm

beejam

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2007
i just found a box of old floppies the other day. Was just about to throw them out. I'll look through and see what I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.